PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to convey "blue" in a B&W photo???

stradibarrius
11-Jan-2013, 09:31
A local phot challenge is to convey the color "blue" in a B&W photo. There are obvious things such as taking a shot of the word blue or a photo of the blue sky on a sunny day but what about some other ideas??? I have a shot I took of a tree in an open pasture during a snowstorm. Is there a way to print it and give the print a steely cold blue tint???

Thanks for any help or ideas...

C. D. Keth
11-Jan-2013, 09:54
If you want to be literal, yes, there are cold toners for silver papers and you could also print in cyanotype.

stradibarrius
11-Jan-2013, 10:01
The concept does not have to be interpreted literally. I could try to photograph someone who looked "blue" or down in the dumps...or maybe a score from a "blues" tune...any other ideas?

C. D. Keth
11-Jan-2013, 10:26
Is there something you do when you're in a down mood? The objects and setting of that kind of "ritual" may make a good photograph.

Peter Lewin
11-Jan-2013, 10:54
You could take a photograph of a dog, and super-impose it with the lyrics from the folk song "Had a dog and his name was Blue, bet you $5 he was a good dog too..."

stradibarrius
11-Jan-2013, 10:55
Christopher...thanks for trying to HELP me think this through. When I read your post immediately I had a couple of ideas spring to mind.

Vaughn
11-Jan-2013, 12:19
One can make a quick blue toner using the same chemicals one uses for cyanotypes. I use to have the formula, but our new photo professor just threw 90% our photo books in the dumpster and the garbage truck came before I could rescue them.

But I'll see if I can track it down -- I might have a copy of the book at home (a reference book from the early part of the 20th Century)

emh
11-Jan-2013, 19:49
...our new photo professor just threw 90% our photo books in the dumpster...
Now, that makes me blue...

jeroldharter
11-Jan-2013, 20:12
Maybe you could take a photo of photography books and analog photo equipment in a dumpster, one straight and one cyanotype! Blue and bluer.

John O'Connell
11-Jan-2013, 20:24
Gold toner.

Peter De Smidt
11-Jan-2013, 20:57
Make a lith print ala Tim Rudman and tone in gold toner. The blue color is delicate and exquisite.

sanking
12-Jan-2013, 08:10
If you can print digitally you could shoot the scene in digital IR and then do a swap color in channels to get a very blue sky with otherwise monochrome scene.

http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-photoshop-videos

Sandy

Peter De Smidt
12-Jan-2013, 08:32
Show someone who's unhappy or someone playing the blues. You could also be risque, as in a comedienne who's routine is a bit blue.