PDA

View Full Version : Digital Printer 2000P?

Yaakov Asher Sinclair
20-Apr-2004, 10:05
I'm sure this one has been asked to death so forgive me but I have limited access to Internet. I want to buy a printer and would appreciate recommendations. I've heard the Epson is pretty good. Is there still an issue with metamerism with the new ultrachrome inks? thanks!

mark blackman
20-Apr-2004, 12:11
your best bet is to try one out, or find someone who has one. Your 'issue' maybe someone else's feature. I'm suprised you have limited access to the internet from Israel?

David Karp
20-Apr-2004, 12:17
I don't know the issues, but I recall that several people I know who bought 2000Ps were unhappy with them. On the other hand, everyone I know who has bought a 2200 is happy with the purchase, including people who formerly used a 2000P. My father-in-law recently purchased a 2200, and it is pretty impressive. If you don't want to print larger than 8x10, there are a variety of other options.

One good source for information on printers and other digital issues is www.luminous-landscape.com.

Good luck.

JohnnyV
20-Apr-2004, 14:50
Avoid the 2000 it's slow as a dog and has color problems as mentioned - its' an old printer also. Go with the 2200.

neil poulsen
20-Apr-2004, 23:26
I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but you might consider the new Epson 4000. It uses ultrachrome inks, and it's more of a production model than the 2200. It can also print 16x20's. I've seen it at a local pro store. It'll be a little while before it's available, at least in the U.S.

It's $1795, but the price includes a full set of 110ml ink cartridges. (About $500!) They're expensive per cartridge, but I calculate that one saves about 30% ink costs per print.

Another neat feature of this printer is that one can load both Matte Black and Photo Black at the same time. It'll only use one of these, but having both installed means that one can switch from one to another without wasting a lot of ink. If you don't plan on switching back and forth from matte to glossy paper, then this feature would not benefit you.

Yes, it's expensive. But, it sure is a nice printer.

Steve Hamley
21-Apr-2004, 08:07
Neil,

Midwest Photo Exchange is drop shipping the Epson 4000 now. I have one on the way.

Steve

Yaakov Asher Sinclair
22-Apr-2004, 10:58
Thanks to everyone for the help. Mark, internet isn't limited in Israel - just in my house! I banned it for various reasons. all the best and thanks again yas