PDA

View Full Version : Building a light box

Simon Benton
10-Jan-2013, 14:40
Does anyone have any suggestions for building a light box for up to 8X10 negatives and slides. I have the opal glass but am unclear on what the correct lighting source should be especially as regards light diffusion and heat generation. Any suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

C. D. Keth
10-Jan-2013, 16:17
Does anyone have any suggestions for building a light box for up to 8X10 negatives and slides. I have the opal glass but am unclear on what the correct lighting source should be especially as regards light diffusion and heat generation. Any suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

I built one some time back with three 12" fluorescent tubes. There is white plexi on the top where the negative sits and midway between tubes and plexi, there is a piece of fluorescent light diffusion (the clear plastic with all the little cut facets like on fluoros in an office) to spread the light evenly. Mine has vents but no active method of ventilation. I don't use it for long enough periods of time to worry about a fan or anything like that.

Pawlowski6132
10-Jan-2013, 16:48
I use an old over head projector.

Dan Henderson
10-Jan-2013, 18:44
I used 2 cfl bulbs in mine. Each bulb throws a hot spot that I wish I could even out, but it works fine to evaluate 1 4x5 negative at a time.

C. D. Keth
10-Jan-2013, 21:57
I used 2 cfl bulbs in mine. Each bulb throws a hot spot that I wish I could even out, but it works fine to evaluate 1 4x5 negative at a time.

Try one of those plastic sheet fresnel magnifiers for reading. You might be able to even out the hot spot the same way we do it in a camera.

jacksoncouse
7-Feb-2013, 19:51
A very interesting option is the Cee Lite (http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=68334):

Cee Lite panels are uniquely suited as a lite source to back lite documents, textiles, manuscripts. etc.
Due to their unique design they can be flexible, semi-rigid or rigid. Since they emit very low levels of UV they are perfect for use in the conservation laboratory. Panels are excellent for providing illumination for an item on exhibit.

And only 1mm thick!

In Ottawa, you could try Buchanan Lighting. They might have a low-heat/low-UV flat-panel light that would fit the bill.

c.d.ewen
7-Feb-2013, 23:18
A very interesting option is the Cee Lite (http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=68334):

That link will lead you to Talas, a highly recommended supplier to bookbinders. Their catalog is well worth a perusal. I use their bookbinder tape for film carrier hinges.

Charley