PDA

View Full Version : 5X7 Ektachrome Expired 1979

sanking
9-Jan-2013, 21:20
OK, here is the issue. I have two 50-sheet boxes of Ektachrome 6118 color slide film. Boxes are unopened, film in sealed envelopes, and has been frozen since I purchased it around 1978. I quit using color slide film in this format a long time ago and these two boxes wound up in the bottom of a freezer that I just got rid of. It has been frozen since I purchased it. Original price, BTS was $119.95 per box.

What should I do with this stuff? Any chance it would still be good given the storage conditions.

Sandy

Daniel Stone
9-Jan-2013, 21:40
I don't know if E6 processing was around yet, is this stuff E-4 process?

I have my doubts, and most likely color casts/crossover that would make it essentially useless IMO...

Just my $.02

Dan

sanking
9-Jan-2013, 21:52
I don't know if E6 processing was around yet, is this stuff E-4 process?

I have my doubts, and most likely color casts/crossover that would make it essentially useless IMO...

Just my $.02

Dan

Ektachrome 6118 used E6 processing.

Sandy

Brian C. Miller
9-Jan-2013, 23:23
Sell it.

I know that the color will have shifted, as I have some from somebody else with a much fresher expiration date, and it's shifted. But ya know, why not either have some fun with it, or sell it to someone who will have some fun? Seriously, there's no reason not to actually go and use it.

jcoldslabs
9-Jan-2013, 23:32
Sandy,

I have a friend who has shot with Fuji 50D in 4x5 that expired in 1985, and his film was certainly not frozen for most of its life. It suffers most from edge fogging, contrast reduction and/or color shift. Yours may be in better shape than his from being frozen all these years. I suppose it all depends on what kind of "look" you are expecting whether or not you consider the film usable.

The photo below is one of his shot on this film, lit indoors with tungsten lighting. Image © James Wigger (http://www.jameswigger.com).

Jonathan

domaz
11-Jan-2013, 09:43
I've shot a few sheets of 5x7 C-41 film that expired in 1984 and it actually came out ok. I didn't see any obvious edge fogging just higher base fog. Colors didn't pack much punch though. I also found that developing it in Pyrocat-HD got a decent negative for scanning. Obviously developing in E-6 in a B&W developer probably won't work as well.

Shootar401
11-Jan-2013, 16:37
Shoot it! I've shot some Ektachrome from 1980 and it looks at good as a fresh batch, but I did have to over expose it 2 stops. But its great!

If you don't want it, I'll buy it off you.