PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about using X-ray film

Winger
9-Jan-2013, 17:00
I'm thinking about trying out some X-ray film in 8x10 (pinhole or build a basic camera) - how do you guys usually develop it? Does it need a special developer or would DD-X (my usual) work? I've seen references to a green sensitive film and this may be what I start with if the exact film matters for developer choice.

Vaughn
9-Jan-2013, 18:02
No special processing chemicals needed -- but careful handling is needed because it scratched easy...and emulsion is on both sides, so you have to careful of both sides. Some folks use hangers to process to keep from scratching it, some use a pieces of glass on the bottom of their trays to keep from scratching them on the bottom of the trays. I have just used a lot of developer and keep the film off the bottom of the tray.

I do find it tends to be high-contrast (which is why I tried it).

Winger
9-Jan-2013, 20:41
Thanks very much, Vaughn!

jon.oman
10-Jan-2013, 11:28
Here is a recent example of using the green sensitive film:

I finally got out on Monday to take a couple of images. It has been too long!

8x10 Pinhole Camera
120 mm
400 microns

X-Ray film - 80 ISO
5 minutes 30 seconds

D76 full strength
6 minutes @ 68 degrees F.

http://www.gophotog.org/allphotos/pinhole/medium_photos/PinholeBridgeMagnolia.jpg

Vaughn
10-Jan-2013, 11:44
Here are two examples (8x10).

The straight portrait (salt print) was developed at the hospital x-ray lab, and the environmental portrait (carbon print) was developed by me in Ilford PQ Universal developer.

I have forgotten if it was green or blue sensitive -- the brand is Agfa Cronex 10TL and is marked "Daylight". Whatever it is, any skin imperfections certainly stood out!

Jim Fitzgerald
10-Jan-2013, 11:54
I've developed hundreds of sheets hundreds of sheets of x-ray film and I think you can develop it in just bout any developer. Get yourself a red safelight. Load, unload and develop with the light on. Be careful not to scratch the double sided emulsion. Developing 8x10 in tanks is the way to go. It is cheap. Have fun.

Ari
10-Jan-2013, 11:57
There is a lot of good info here:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?80011-Images-shot-on-X-ray-film

j.e.simmons
10-Jan-2013, 14:01
Also, it's easy to find X-ray filters for the old Kodak bullet safelights. I've found a tanning developer, pyrocat for instance, reduces scratches.
juan

Winger
10-Jan-2013, 20:36
I already use a red safelight for the very occasional use of ortho lith film - that one work? It doesn't need total dark? That would be even more sweet. I was figuring on trays and doing one at a time.
I've been watching the image posts of Xray film and noticed that one, Jon - love it. Thanks for the comparison, Vaughn - I might be able to get the local dentist to run some (yup, they still use film), but I'll likely be using what I've got. Good to know what a range there is.

jon.oman
11-Jan-2013, 08:40
I use two 5x7 inch red safelights when I work with this film. One by my dry side, and one by my wet side of the darkroom. They are Kodak filters made for ortho film....