PDA

View Full Version : Light trap material needed

Daniel Stone
8-Jan-2013, 15:09
Hey guys,

I need to replace the light trap material on my KMV. The original stuff was way gone, and I've realized that the velcor hook material that I replaced it with is now too thick(and pile of the material is too thick to compress when a holder is inserted). Sooo.... anyone have a source for a material that can work well, and be a good long-term option? I don't like having to keep the darkcloth over the back when shooting, and I hate light leaks even more!

help would be appreciated

thanks,

Dan

lenser
8-Jan-2013, 15:14
Dan,

Walmart has 8x10 sheets of a very compacted felt material with a self adhesive back.. I use it for that exact application on my KMV about four years ago and it is still going strong. If I remember correctly, it is in the crafts department and at that time cost under a dollar per sheet. Just be very sure to thoroughly clean out the tracks where you plan to install this so you get a good bond. Good luck.

Daniel Stone
8-Jan-2013, 15:33
hey Lenser,

I tried my local walmart for that exact thing. Unfortunately all they have now is a glittered foam stuff in sheet form. No felt adhesive-backed material I can find :(

Michael Cienfuegos
8-Jan-2013, 22:29
Dan, you might try Jo-Ann or Michael's, they have lots of crafts stuff.

jcoldslabs
8-Jan-2013, 22:33
Dan,

If you have a Michael's craft store nearby they have something similar, I think. I picked up some adhesive-backed felt there a while back.

Jonathan

EDIT: Michael beat me to it!

Brian C. Miller
8-Jan-2013, 23:25
There is telescope flocking material (http://www.protostar.biz/flock.htm) that might fit the bill. I don't know if it is the correct thickness for what you need, but you can ask them about it.

Roger Thoms
8-Jan-2013, 23:48
Check McMaster Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/#self-adhesive-felt/=kyf7t0

Think they have adhesive backed velvet too.

Roger

John Koehrer
9-Jan-2013, 21:10
velvet ribbon will also do the trick. Same sources.

ac12
17-Mar-2013, 13:44
I just got a sheet of an adhesive backed felt (made of polyester) from Joann Fabrics.
I think it was all of $2 for a 9x12 inch sheet.
Just make sure you get the black one, and not the red one ;)