PDA

View Full Version : original finish of early (US) Goerz Dagors?

John Schneider
8-Jan-2013, 14:16
I just picked up a c. 1905 "Goerz Dagor Series III No. 7a" (16.5"), s/n 220,xxx that had been remounted into an Ilex 5 by Steve Grimes some time ago. Both the aluminum adapters and the original brass lens barrels are painted black, and the black is flaking off the brass. Were Dagors of this vintage painted or in natural brass? I'd like to strip the paint off the brass, but only if the lens was originally supplied sans paint.

pierre506
8-Jan-2013, 16:57
Dear John, would you mind to show any pics of it?

Steven Tribe
9-Jan-2013, 02:15
Does it read "series" or "serie" ?

John Schneider
9-Jan-2013, 10:55
It reads "Series" (unfortunately not illuminated in the attached pic) but there is no mention of "Berlin", so I (hopefully) assume it wasn't a B&J lens. I can get a better picture tonight with a flash to show all the markings, but this what I have handy. Thank you for all your expert assistance.

E. von Hoegh
9-Jan-2013, 11:17
That is an "echte" Goerz New York Dagor from about 1908. The clue is the patent #; B&J didn't bother counterfieting that. All that I have seen from that era were painted black.

John Schneider
9-Jan-2013, 11:42
That is an "echte" Goerz New York Dagor from about 1908. The clue is the patent #; B&J didn't bother counterfeiting that. All that I have seen from that era were painted black.

Thank you so much. I assume you mean this is a genuine Dagor, rather than one sourced from the village of Echte in Lower Saxony ;)

E. von Hoegh
9-Jan-2013, 11:47
Ja, echte von Stadt New York. Not long after yours was made, they dropped the patent #. I believe the patent expired in 1910.