PDA

View Full Version : Oh Readyload, why have you deserted us?

richardman
7-Jan-2013, 23:58
After playing with the Shenhao 617 for a few months, I am finally thinking about moving to real LF and get a 4x5.

Then I found out about the wonder of Readyload, and that it's no longer available :-(

So there's no alternatives?

gary mulder
8-Jan-2013, 01:01
You can assume there is no profit in making and selling Readyloads

Daniel Stone
8-Jan-2013, 01:33
don't fear Richard, most of us have been slogging around with standard 4x5 and 8x10 holders for years, it isn't THAT hard :)

I've found that every once in a while, taking the vacuum cleaner to my holders aids in reducing(not eliminating, but certainly helping) the amount of dust on my film during exposure.

Giving a vacuuming out of the bellows once in a while also helps in reducing dust, especially if you shoot outside in dry dusty conditions.

-Dan

amac212
8-Jan-2013, 05:30
I did love them so, but I'm not sure why? Surely they were more expensive and also they were a pain to "unload" (for those of us to develop their e6 or c41). Have you considered a grafmatic sheet holder / back that allows you to load 6 sheets? I actually like them better. :)

Keith Tapscott.
8-Jan-2013, 06:24
After playing with the Shenhao 617 for a few months, I am finally thinking about moving to real LF and get a 4x5.

Then I found out about the wonder of Readyload, and that it's no longer available :-(

So there's no alternatives?The Kodak Readyload film sheets were done by Polaroid under license, but they ceased trading, so not Kodak's fault to be fair.

Fuji do (or did?) an equivalent called Quickloads.

Marc B.
8-Jan-2013, 08:19
There were enticing stirrings of a new sleeve/envelope product three (3) years ago.
Not much new from Joanna Carter since!

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?52028-New-Envelope-System-for-Quickload-ReadyLoad-and-Polaroid-Holders

BrianShaw
8-Jan-2013, 08:33
Loading holders is a simple art; If I could learn it anyone can learn it. Really.

George Hart
8-Jan-2013, 08:38
Loading holders is a simple art; If I could learn it anyone can learn it. Really.

I agree. It's easier than loading roll film on to Hewes spirals.

Jon Shiu
8-Jan-2013, 12:05
One problem with the Readyloads when it is windy is that it can flap around during the exposure.

Jon

Teodor Oprean
8-Jan-2013, 21:26
I got into large format after Readyloads and Quickloads were discontinued, so I have never used one to know of their convenience first hand. I have only read about them, but from a user's perspective these holders actually merited discontinuation because the film is not held flat enough. Most users have reported better film flatness with Grafmatics and standard film holders.

Peter De Smidt
8-Jan-2013, 23:05
Readyloads made backpacking with a 4x5 much more enjoyable.

Roger Cole
8-Jan-2013, 23:06

Loading them, yes. Getting dust free film, not so much.

I do think my new approach of blowing air directly out of a HEPA air filter on the film and then closing the slide in the air stream will do wonders, though. Still not like preloaded dust free film.

richardman
8-Jan-2013, 23:57
OK, I checked out the Grafmatic 1268 holder and it looks very interesting. I am going to take the camera for hiking so it sounds quite useful. So what are the downsides of using them?

Larry Gebhardt
9-Jan-2013, 16:10
OK, I checked out the Grafmatic 1268 holder and it looks very interesting. I am going to take the camera for hiking so it sounds quite useful. So what are the downsides of using them?
One of the weighs the same as three regular holders. So no weight savings. But it is only as thick as 2 holders, so you save some bulk. The disadvantage is the septums are a bit fragile. You can also ruin all 6 sheets of film if you accidentally pull the dark slide in the light.

I really like them for taking multiple shots of the same scene with different apertures or shutter speeds. An easy way to rack up the film bill, but it does make experimenting easy with moving water, or getting a shot that is breeze free.