PDA

View Full Version : packard shutter

mylek
5-Jan-2013, 20:10
Hi,

which size of packard shutter can be used on a Deadorff 5x7?
What is the minimum diameter that can be used?

Regards!

Louis Pacilla
5-Jan-2013, 20:38
You can find it here.

http://www.packardshutter.com/

mylek
6-Jan-2013, 06:16
Thanks!
I should have asked what is the lens's maximum diameter that will work on 4 1/2" Packard shutter with a 2 1/4" diameter.

Louis Pacilla
6-Jan-2013, 09:26
Thanks!
I should have asked what is the lens's maximum diameter that will work on 4 1/2" Packard shutter with a 2 1/4" diameter.

It seems an easy answer if I'm understanding you. If the opening of the Packard is 2 1/4" then the maximum diameter of the lens (glass) that can be used with that Packard is the same, 2 1/4". You can use a lens with larger glass then Packard opening but you will lose a stop or two

However, If your lens board is 4 1/2" then you will have to use the next size down 4"x4" (2" opening) so it the board can be mounted after the Packard is installed on the back of the board. So if your lens board is 5"x5" then 4 1/2" (2 1/4" opening) Packard is the correct.

Reinhold Schable
6-Jan-2013, 10:25
Or you could front mount the Packard.

If you already have a lens, put it on the camera and hold a card having a hole the same diameter as a shutter about 1/4 ~ 3/8"" in front of the lens.
Look at the image on the ground glass.
If there's no vignetting, evertyhing's ok.
Go from there...

Reinhold

www.re-inventedPhotoEquip.com

Leonard Robertson
6-Jan-2013, 10:26
Keep in mind if you are mounting a Packard on the back of the lens board, you need to have room to run the air hose or a short length of metal tubing through the board to get air to the piston. Sometimes you see cameras where a hole is drilled through the front standard outside the lens board recess, or even through the bellows! I don't think you would want to do either to a Deardorff. So it may be a 4X4 Packard is too big for a 4 1/2" Deardorff board. That is one of the reasons I tend to favor front mounting Packards.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?98602-610mm-Apo-Nikkor-Front-Mounted-Packard-Pics

I dug out an older Packard, what I assume is a 4X4 (center hole measures 2"). It actually measures 4 1/8" square. So you can measure the back of your lens board and see if there is room for the shutter and a hole for the air tube. You may need to go down to a 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 size.

Len

Randy
15-Jan-2013, 08:35
Keep in mind if you are mounting a Packard on the back of the lens board, you need to have room to run the air hose or a short length of metal tubing through the board to get air to the piston.

Ahhh, not so. You can do what I did on my 8X10 F&S...grit your teeth very hard while wincing, then poke a small hole in the bellows just inside the first pleat (insuring that the hole is small enough to fit tightly when you run the black rubber air hose through it). I have three lenses with Packard shutters behind them (inside the lensboard) and I have used them like this for about 15 years. If I ever decide to remove the hose, some black tape inside and out will be invisible.