PDA

View Full Version : what is the stabilizer in fuji hunt chemical

algarzai
4-Jan-2013, 11:42
Hi,
I have just finished developing my first batch of E6 slides. what is Fuji hunt chrome x6 stabilizer? is it similar to photo flo and wetting agent? i had trouble with them in B&W and just continued to develop without it. It is too hot in Saudi film dries fast and water is soft.

dave_whatever
4-Jan-2013, 11:45
I think it's a combination of wetting agent and formaldehyde. I wouldn't miss it out, it's there for a reason.

algarzai
4-Jan-2013, 11:56
wetting agent is harmful in Saudi Arabia. water is very soft. when i add it to my process it dries and my negatives turn out sticky. i only used it twice and i rewashed my negatives. the purpose of it was that water runs down quickly and drips off the negative. i did not find i needed that.

I heard (formaldeyxxxxx) was removed from the kit - excuse my spelling. so maybe it is another chemical instead. If the step is very necessary i will have to wash my slides after it. I don't want wetting agent.

dave_whatever
4-Jan-2013, 14:37

This is the bottle out of my kit. You might have to find some and mix up your own without the fotoflo.

algarzai
5-Jan-2013, 02:23
thanks for the input Dave. it looks like i will have to wash my slides afterwards. yesterday's slides were sticky in the lowest corner and you could see wax like residue where it dried.

Daniel Stone
5-Jan-2013, 03:04
Can you buy DISTILLED water? Try mixing it up with that

Dan

algarzai
5-Jan-2013, 03:37
good idea Daniel. i have never thought of that :) although i should use distilled water for the whole process.

EOTS
5-Jan-2013, 06:49
Hi,

the new Fuji 6-bath version replaced formaldehyde with another chemical:
1,2-Benziso-thiazolin-3-one
But like Dave said, like formaldehyde I also expect it to be important for the whole process,
so I wouldn't leave it out.

Best regards,
Martin

algarzai
5-Jan-2013, 07:25

This is the bottle out of my kit. You might have to find some and mix up your own without the fotoflo.

mine says cont.:1,2-Benzisothiazolin-3-one

EOTS
5-Jan-2013, 08:15
Yeah, Fuji replaced the formaldehyde because it was recently classified as carcinogen.

dave_whatever
5-Jan-2013, 12:26
That bottle pictured is out of a 3-bath kit which is about a year old, so probably explains the difference.

algarzai
5-Jan-2013, 12:48
Ok. We still need to know the purpose of that step :)
It looks like it will do something other than making sure water runs down on slides quicker.