PDA

View Full Version : 610mm Apo Nikkor Front Mounted Packard Pics

Michael Kadillak
3-Jan-2013, 16:17
I was asked to post some pics of the front mounted Packard shutter I mounted to my F9 610mm Apo Nikkor barrel lens for my 8x20 and 11x14 camera. I found that a piece of 5" OD black PVC pipe that I got a Home Depot fit perfectly over the lens barrel and I had it glued to a square piece of plastic that served as the base to stop the barrel lens at full insertion and from which the Packard shutter could be screwed on to the outside of. There is sufficient distance that the tube fits over that it is hold by friction over the lens. It would be easy to use a rubber band or some tape over the each of the side camera front standard posts to keep this from falling off if I was shooting in a down direction. I am in the process of adding a feature to use square colored filters and have even considered hanging a compendium over the top. Packard Shutters are in business making new product and they have a web site. I got the feature that provides me with an instantaneous shutter (+/- 1/25th of a second) with one quick bulb depression and am glad that I did. It comes in handy. I also screwed on a 95mm UV filter over the front lens element to protect the glass surface. Fire away if you have any questions. Inexpensive way to put this marvelous lens into optimal service as Packards do their thing quite nicely. :cool:

jon.oman
3-Jan-2013, 20:34
Thanks for this information! I have this lens, and plan on building a 14x17 inch camera to use it on. This gives me some more ideas.....

Dan Fromm
3-Jan-2013, 21:16
If you want timed exposures, jon, it is also possible to hang a Compound #5 or an Ilex #5 in front of a 610 Apo Nikkor. Mike's lashup is very clever, has given me ideas about how to do it with my 610. Thanks for posting it, Mike.

Leonard Robertson
4-Jan-2013, 09:06
Michael - I did something similar a few years back only I bored a hole in a square of 3/4" thick plywood to bolt the Packard to. I intended to line the bored hole with black velvet or something to give good grip on the lens barrel, but by chance the hole was just the right size for a snug fit on the Artar I was fitting it to.The Packard I used has the removable pin which is inserted for the 1/25 speed. I drilled a hole through the back of my plywood and used a pop rivet for the pin. There is enough friction in the hole to keep the rivet in place.

The mount you made looks so much more professional than the one I did. Probably a bit lighter in weight too. Very nicely done! The best thing about using a front mount Packard, you can watch it when it fires and know if it hangs up when opening (usually from not squeezing the bulb hard and fast enough). You may have ruined a sheet of film, but at least you know it and can re-shoot.

Len

Michael Kadillak
4-Jan-2013, 09:20
Michael - I did something similar a few years back only I bored a hole in a square of 3/4" thick plywood to bolt the Packard to. I intended to line the bored hole with black velvet or something to give good grip on the lens barrel, but by chance the hole was just the right size for a snug fit on the Artar I was fitting it to.The Packard I used has the removable pin which is inserted for the 1/25 speed. I drilled a hole through the back of my plywood and used a pop rivet for the pin. There is enough friction in the hole to keep the rivet in place.

The mount you made looks so much more professional than the one I did. Probably a bit lighter in weight too. Very nicely done! The best thing about using a front mount Packard, you can watch it when it fires and know if it hangs up when opening (usually from not squeezing the bulb hard and fast enough). You may have ruined a sheet of film, but at least you know it and can re-shoot.

Len

I knew that I got lucky when on a whim I took out a section of the black PVC pipe I previously purchased for developing sheet film in tubes and it fit perfectly over the barrel of the lens. The fact that the barrel was long and of uniform thickness got the wheels of creativity churning and I feel very good about the final product. Later that same day I found the Packard web site and that was another positive option to having to rely upon just the used market for these shutters. The fact that the project was so inexpensive including the lens made it easy to step up for a new shutter.

guitarcharlie
7-Sep-2015, 11:46
I was asked to post some pics of the front mounted Packard shutter I mounted to my F9 610mm Apo Nikkor barrel lens for my 8x20 and 11x14 camera. I found that a piece of 5" OD black PVC pipe that I got a Home Depot fit perfectly over the lens barrel and I had it glued to a square piece of plastic that served as the base to stop the barrel lens at full insertion and from which the Packard shutter could be screwed on to the outside of. There is sufficient distance that the tube fits over that it is hold by friction over the lens. It would be easy to use a rubber band or some tape over the each of the side camera front standard posts to keep this from falling off if I was shooting in a down direction. I am in the process of adding a feature to use square colored filters and have even considered hanging a compendium over the top. Packard Shutters are in business making new product and they have a web site. I got the feature that provides me with an instantaneous shutter (+/- 1/25th of a second) with one quick bulb depression and am glad that I did. It comes in handy. I also screwed on a 95mm UV filter over the front lens element to protect the glass surface. Fire away if you have any questions. Inexpensive way to put this marvelous lens into optimal service as Packards do their thing quite nicely. :cool:

Hi Michael, Nice job! I know its been a couple years but was wondering what size packard shutter you used for this setup? thanks (if you see this!) Charlie Anderson

Michael Kadillak
7-Sep-2015, 19:59
I used a 3 3/4" Packard shutter on a piece of 4 1/2" ABS black plastic from Home Depot. Packard shutters are being produced brand new as they have a website and are exceptionally customer friendly. Reno was the guy I spoke to there. I remember that name and he was a great resource.

Cheers!

Tin Can
7-Sep-2015, 20:10
Nice job!

Mine is mounted to DIY 8" adapter board which allows large glass on 9" Linhof boards with my Packard mounted to Linhof board rear.

One shutter, 3 lenses.

It's documented somewhere in DIY here.

Michael Kadillak
8-Sep-2015, 20:53
I used a 3 3/4" Packard shutter on a piece of 4 1/2" ABS black plastic from Home Depot. Packard shutters are being produced brand new as they have a website and are exceptionally customer friendly. Reno was the guy I spoke to there. I remember that name and he was a great resource.

Cheers!

I used the same packard assembly on a Nikkor 760mm Apo barrel lens.

tgtaylor
8-Sep-2015, 21:24
I had mine mounted in a Ilex #5 Universal shutter by Adam at Grimes. With the cost of the shutter which I had CLA, and the mounting it turned out to be an expensive proposition (~$1200 - $1300) and had I realized the final cost I probably wouldn't have bought the lens: I originally planned to use it as a barrel lens but then decided to have it mounted in a regular shutter. That said I'm very satisfied with this lens and am glad that I got it. The lens itself was brand new in a box and never mounted.

Since then I have been on and off looking for another Ilex #5 shutter and a 760mm Apo Nikkor. But just the other day I was out shooting with the 610 and realized that I can just barely reach the controls on the front standard with it and would be impossible with a 760. That would mean going back and forth from the GG to the front standard to adjust the rise, swing, tilt, etc., which threw cold water on that idea. The 610, though, is perfect: It gives good reach and I can operate it from behind the GG.

Thomas