PDA

View Full Version : Multiple brass lenses on an antique wooden camera...

Takizawa
3-Jan-2013, 10:35
How have you dealt with multiple brass lenses on an old wooden camera such as a Kodak 2D? Have you dedicated a lens board for each lens? Have you fashioned an adapter to use modern lens boards? Have any of you gone the universal iris route?

Thanks, Michael

big_ben_blue
3-Jan-2013, 10:45
I use a combination of all of the above. Dedicated lensboards for some lenses, adapter for using smaller boards, and the universal iris's. Lensboards can be made on the cheap with basic woodworking skills and a bit of plywood if you don't mind the non-original look. The UniIris is OK for smaller lenses, heavier lenses may push the limits on safe holding power, plus they tend to be a bit more prone to vibrations IMHO.

BarryS
3-Jan-2013, 10:50
I've found the easiest method is making lensboards for each lens. The 2D uses simple 6x6" lens boards, so cutting them out of birch plywood is fairly simple. I don't use modern lenses on my 2D, but if I did, a Technika or 4x4" adapter would save some space. I have one for my Deardorff and it's a nice convenience for bringing multiple lenses in the field. A universal iris is handy to try out barrel lenses, but it's more of a temporary solution and not suitable for large brass barrel lenses.

Roger Thoms
3-Jan-2013, 10:52
I have a WP and 810 2D and am currently using separate boards. To get going quickly I made a few plywood boards and will make some three piece boards soon. At some point I may make an adapter board, but for now I'm happy with separates. 2D boards are pretty common, they come here fairly often, and you can find both new and used on ebay, if you want really nice three piece boards Richard T Ritter makes them as we'll as adapter boards. SK Grimes also makes adapter boards.

Roger

IanG
3-Jan-2013, 11:08
My Agfa Ansco came with 3 spare lens boards the previous owner had had made and I've made spares for the 2 Half Plate, Whole plate and Quarter plate British field cameras I use. I make my own 3-4 piece boards but any good carpenter/joiners shop should be able make them for you at quite a low cost.

Ian

Takizawa
3-Jan-2013, 12:40
Thanks everyone. It's helpful to hear about your practices. I especially like the idea of enlisting a carpentry shop.

Steven Tribe
3-Jan-2013, 12:51
A combination.

Separate Universal iris for both 13x18 and 18x24 Tailboard reisekameras. Biggest lens I dare mount on the 18x24 is an 18" landscape lens. This is mostly because these are slide-in type lens boards which are not easy to make (and look good!) and I have a number of lenses still needing flanges.
For studiocameras - always make a new board.

Emil Schildt
3-Jan-2013, 14:40
as above, but I happen to have a huge old NORKA kamera where there's a big round turret (sp?) in front of the camera - and where there have been made room for three lenses at the same time...

Never used it as such, but it excists..

Jody_S
3-Jan-2013, 19:15
Mostly rough plywood (or other materials) lens boards. I keep several on hand for each camera with different-sized holes that fit most lenses that come my way, and it only takes me a few minutes to cut a new one should the need arise. I have recently installed a small Packard shutter, I still don't have a good method of mounting lenses on that. So far I'm screwing (4 small wood screws) small plywood boards onto a thicker base/spacer with the same diameter as the Packard, but the screws are going to damage that base after a few more board changes, so I have to come up with a better system.