PDA

View Full Version : Request a List of recommended compact Lenses for Horseman FA

Brooklyn45
3-Jan-2013, 10:10
Don't know if this should go in a different forum, Moderators please let me know..
I know theres tons of talk on here about different lenses for use with an FA, nd often links to a complicated chart of lenses on the manufacturers website.

I would love the FA users to submit some sort of list of lenses that they have used and know can be stored in the camera folded up. Manufacturer specs are one thing but user experience is much preferred. I am thinking.

Schneider Angulon 90mm

Rodenstock Sironar 135 Sironar N

Are suggested elsewhere..

What about a 210 anything fit ??

Want to confine this list to only lenses that are known, by users to fit in an un modified FA when closed.

Thanks Buddies

jbpcamarat
3-Jan-2013, 10:29
It is not a 210mm, but quite close and much more small and compact, although with less room for movements: Nikkor-M 200mm f/8.

C. D. Keth
3-Jan-2013, 10:31
If any 210mm will fit, it's probably a g-claron or a geronar. Those are both pretty small 210s. A 150mm g-claron is a very small lens, too.

Sal Santamaura
3-Jan-2013, 10:56
...I would love the FA users to submit some sort of list of lenses that they have used and know can be stored in the camera folded up....

It is not a 210mm, but quite close and much more small and compact, although with less room for movements: Nikkor-M 200mm f/8.Nope, the 200mm Nikkor M has a 52mm filter thread. An FA won't close with it installed.

If any 210mm will fit, it's probably a g-claron or a geronar...Nope. An FA won't close with any 210mm lens installed. Both of those are in Copal 1 shutters and have 49mm filter threads. A 210mm Xenar is also in a Copal 1 and has 46mm filter threads.

...A 150mm g-claron is a very small lens, too.That one, in a Copal 0 and having 35.5mm filter threads, will close inside an FA.

The criteria for closing include being in a Copal 0, having a front cell of 43mm maximum diameter (to fit between the bed raiils) and a "reasonably shallow" depth. I haven't quantified "reasonably shallow" because any lenses that meet the first two seem to meet the last one. :)

Other lenses that will close in an FA are the 150mm Germinar W, 150mm Xenar, 150mm Geronar, 135mm Apo Sironar N and 90mm Congo WideField. There may be a few more, but I'm not aware of them.

Note that Calumet-branded versions of the above compatible lenses are physically identical and will also close inside an FA.

Kevin Crisp
3-Jan-2013, 10:59
If an Angulon will fit I'd be surprised if a 210 Repro Claron (great lens) won't fit. They don't get much smaller than that. I believe it is a 0 sized shutter but I'll have to check when I get home.

Sal Santamaura
3-Jan-2013, 11:14
...There may be a few more, but I'm not aware of them...

If an Angulon will fit I'd be surprised if a 210 Repro Claron (great lens) won't fit. They don't get much smaller than that. I believe it is a 0 sized shutter...That seems to be one I wasn't aware of. :)

According to this

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/pdf/repro_claron.pdf

the 210mm Repro Claron is in a 0 shutter and has 40.5mm front filter threads. The illustration on page 1 shows a Compur shutter. I doubt, but am not certain, that there are dimensional differences between a Copal 0 and Compur 0 which might cause interference with the FA. Probably good to go!

ic-racer
3-Jan-2013, 11:36
My FA won't close with any Horseman LF Lens on it. 210mm = NO, 90mm = NO, 180mm = NO, 150mm = NO.

Brooklyn45
3-Jan-2013, 14:11
This is all good info.. So it seems possible to put together a three lens kit where each lens could close into the FA.. The 135 and 90 seems easy to find.. the question is the 210 or similar length..

Michael Graves
3-Jan-2013, 17:41
Find a 203mm 7.7 Ektar. The quality of that lens will blow your socks off. Unless you're like my brother and law and don't wear socks. Then I don't wanna know.

Brooklyn45
3-Jan-2013, 18:25
I love this forum because people have no problem promoting the use of antique equipment when it can do the job as well as new. Theres a ton o folks who think new is always better and they don't seem to realize that a lot of it is media hype. The only reason I am going to a Horseman is for stiffness and portability. The stiffness left my Meridian 45 A many years ago..But many of these older lenses that were used by the likes of Paul strand produced beautiful results. And they were a lot lighter and more compact than the over engineered (in some instances) lenses of today. The only problem I have had in the past is getting a shutter in really good shape and have had to pay to have them serviced.. So thanks for the tip on the Ektar. It's true that Kodak lenses were really quite special.

ic-racer
3-Jan-2013, 19:38
I found that one of my 6x9cm Horseman view camera lenses will cover 4x5 and allow he Horseman FA to close. The Horseman SUPER 120mm f5.6 (160mm image circle).

Ari
3-Jan-2013, 21:27
What about a Sironar-N 150mm?

Sal Santamaura
3-Jan-2013, 22:02
What about a Sironar-N 150mm?Nope. Filter threads are 49mm.

john biskupski
4-Jan-2013, 02:30
Like the Nikkor 200/8, the little Fuji A 180/9 is a bit short of your desired 210, but should fit inside the 45FA closed (no, sorry, I haven't tried it). I don't have the front element diameter, but it certainly meets the other criteria for 210 size lenses for mounting on the camera listed on Komamura's list of lenses for the 45FA (shutter size o, flange to focal distance <206mm, and size of rear lens <62mm).

Sal Santamaura
4-Jan-2013, 10:47
...the little Fuji A 180/9 is a bit short of your desired 210, but should fit inside the 45FA closed...Nope. Filter threads are 46mm.

Michael Graves
4-Jan-2013, 11:16
I love this forum because people have no problem promoting the use of antique equipment when it can do the job as well as new. Theres a ton o folks who think new is always better and they don't seem to realize that a lot of it is media hype. The only reason I am going to a Horseman is for stiffness and portability. The stiffness left my Meridian 45 A many years ago..But many of these older lenses that were used by the likes of Paul strand produced beautiful results. And they were a lot lighter and more compact than the over engineered (in some instances) lenses of today. The only problem I have had in the past is getting a shutter in really good shape and have had to pay to have them serviced.. So thanks for the tip on the Ektar. It's true that Kodak lenses were really quite special.

I bought mine for about $145.00 two years ago, and Carol Flutot serviced it for another $50.00 or $60.00 (can't remember exactly, but she did an incredible job). I use it on 4x5 more often than I do my Fujinon 210, but I hang on to the Fuji because it makes a great lens for 5x7 and even covers 8x10 with minimal movements. The image character of the Ektar is far superior in my humble, worthless, biased and potentially prejudiced opinion.

Renato Tonelli
5-Jan-2013, 18:08
I asked the same question awhile ago and got some good suggestions. I opted for the Rodenstock 135 and a G-Claron 210.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/faber-castell-pitt-artist-pens/#description

Renato Tonelli
6-Jan-2013, 19:47
I asked the same question awhile ago and got some good suggestions. I opted for the Rodenstock 135 and a G-Claron 210.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/faber-castell-pitt-artist-pens/#description

Wrong link for the post above but can't delete it...