PDA

View Full Version : Interior architecture photography lens

Professional
3-Jan-2013, 02:33
Hi all and happy new year!

I want to ask, if you will shoot interiors inside a house or hotel or any place which lens you will go with? Say if i am limited in space and i can go back further to include more of the architecture, what lens on 4x5 format you recommend?

Thanks!

bdkphoto
3-Jan-2013, 06:33
A 90 for most and a 75 for tight spaces.

Jim Noel
3-Jan-2013, 09:31
A 90 for most and a 75 for tight spaces.
Add a 55 Super Angulon to that short list.

lenser
3-Jan-2013, 10:34
And the Schneider 58mm XL Super Angulon whne the 90mm Caltar II isn't wide enough.

Jeff Keller
3-Jan-2013, 12:13
Interiors of houses only occaisionally need shift capability. Very wide is useful ... 14mm on a 35mm frame. Exteriors and probably hotels benefit more from shift.

When shooting wider than 17mm the perceived distortion of shapes becomes very noticeable.

I haven't put it into use yet but I've acquired an Ebony SW45 and a set of Super Angulon XL lenses to get similar wide angle capability with 4x5 film. If you use the published ICs, there isn't much shift for focal lengths below 72mm. If shift is important for what you are doing then a 72mm SA XL and 110 Super Symmar should be a great 2 lens combination.

Jeff Keller

Armin Seeholzer
3-Jan-2013, 15:07
90mm for cinemas and concert halls, 75mm for privat houses and Schneider XL 47mm for small rooms!

Cheers Armin

Professional
4-Jan-2013, 02:16
I see, thank you very much!

Actually, i need a wide angle lens, when i shoot my house inside i always use wide angle or ultra wide angle lenses on 35mm or MF, so i was thinking which one equivalent lens on 4x5 format, seems anywhere between 58 up to 90, I have to deiced wisely which to get first, i can't them all at once now, but i will planning to get one after another this year within 3-4 months between each other.

Let's say if i bought that 58mm SA XL, must i need a recessed board for it?

lenser
4-Jan-2013, 09:00
That entirely depends on which camera you are using. For example, If I use mine on my Cambo SCX, it must have a recess board. ON my Zone VI, a regular flat board is fine. The need is determined by the normal minimum distance when the standards are at their closest and it's corresponding distance between the film plane and the plane of the normally flat lens board. Of course is is also determined by the fact that at maximum compression, no bellows can allow much in terms of movements. One my Zone VI, I always use a bag bellows with my wide angle lenses and often do the same on the SCX.

Professional
4-Jan-2013, 12:39
Ok, clear enough, will keep that in mind, thank you very much!

Professional
26-Jan-2013, 21:50
An update: Ordered or say placed an order for a lens, it is 72mm SA XL, but it will take about 1-2 weeks to be in stock then they ship it to me, hope this will happen sooner than later.

Now i finished 60-80mm range with one lens, now i don't know which lens should be next, i ordered that 72mm as brand new, my next top priority lenses in my list are: 90mm and 210.

Because i want to buy only new i will delay those 2 lenses for later, so i want to get some another lenses second hand that you think it will be great, so if i ignore 72, 90, 150[i have this], and 210, which another lens i should get? I want a lens to use on my Speed Graphic, the problem is that i shoot anything from landscapes to portraits to architecture, so to me one lens is not everything i need and waiting that 72 anyway.

Kirk Gittings
26-Jan-2013, 22:32
Hmmm I haven't owned a speed in a few of decades but with that 72 on a Speed Graphic you will have to drop the bed and the bellows will bunch up making movements very limited. Is that right Speed users?

Professional
26-Jan-2013, 22:41
Hmmm I haven't owned a speed in a few of decades but with that 72 on a Speed Graphic you will have to drop the bed and the bellows will bunch up making movements very limited. Is that right Speed users?

Well, i intend to use that 72mm only for my Shen Hao or if i get Ebony in the future, but for SG i am looking for another glasses, i have 162mm Wollensack with it, but i want something in 90-120mm range, maybe if i buy 90mm then i can use that on my SG and Shen Hao with proper movements on both, my Shen Hao has a bit little more rooms for movements over that SG.

Another option is to buy 240mm for SG and use that extensively for portraits, i am open to any option for glasses without the 4 glasses i mentioned before [72, 90, 150, 210].

Bernice Loui
27-Jan-2013, 00:27
Using 4x5, 90mm is the commonly used interior lens, next would be the 75mm and shorter like a 47mm to 58mm for really cramped spaced. Keep in mind the wider the lens, the greater the front to back perspective distortion.

Don't forget the bag bellows as camera movement is almost always required for this kind of work.

And, seriously consider a center filter to deal with the light fall off.

Bernice

Professional
27-Jan-2013, 04:27
Using 4x5, 90mm is the commonly used interior lens, next would be the 75mm and shorter like a 47mm to 58mm for really cramped spaced. Keep in mind the wider the lens, the greater the front to back perspective distortion.

Don't forget the bag bellows as camera movement is almost always required for this kind of work.

And, seriously consider a center filter to deal with the light fall off.

Bernice

Thank you very much, Bernice!

I will keep all that in mind.

Professional
3-Feb-2013, 09:11
WOW

An update: My lens is shipped, and now i have to wait its arrival, WOW, i thought i will wait about 2-3 weeks until the lens is in stock then shipped, but to my surprise by sudden i checked out my email and there is the tracking number.

Well, what i should shoot when i get the lens? I am not good in LF yet and i don't want to shoot 1-3 sheets only and i don't want to develop by trays, i have the mod54 so i want at least 6 sheets to process, what to shoot?

Thank you very for all of your help, wait until i can get good in LF and post for you here!

neil poulsen
3-Feb-2013, 10:02
If you purchased used, you could get a lot more for your money. Used lenses can be very good lenses. I've never purchased a new LF lens. There are many reputable dealers that sell used lens.

Professional
3-Feb-2013, 10:10
If you purchased used, you could get a lot more for your money. Used lenses can be very good lenses. I've never purchased a new LF lens. There are many reputable dealers that sell used lens.

Yes, i understand, but i really wanted to have everything or most things new not used, i will buy some used lenses for my Speed/Crown Graphic, but for my Shen Hao or another new LF i want to get say 3-4 lenses Brand New, i have 2, and only i am thinking about 2 more lenses as new then any more i will go with used.

Professional
3-Feb-2013, 10:14
I meant i have 1 and the other one is coming soon within few days less than 1 week so i said 2.

Louis Pacilla
3-Feb-2013, 10:19
Yes, i understand, but i really wanted to have everything or most things new not used, i will buy some used lenses for my Speed/Crown Graphic, but for my Shen Hao or another new LF i want to get say 3-4 lenses Brand New, i have 2, and only i am thinking about 2 more lenses as new then any more i will go with used.

Hey someone has to buy new. If everyone in photography bought used any and all manufacturers would fold up their tents and soon the party is over. :(

Glad to hear your new 72mm SA XL is on it's way to you and happy shooting.

BTW I'm guilty of buying used most all the time.:o

Professional
3-Feb-2013, 10:26
Hey someone has to buy new. If everyone in photography bought used any and all manufacturers would fold up their tents and soon the party is over. :(

Glad to hear your new 72mm SA XL is on it's way to you and happy shooting.

BTW I'm guilty of buying used most all the time.:o

Thanks!

Its ok, i understand, i will go with used when i get 2 more lenses, i can't afford 6-10 lenses all new, and the price i've got for that 72 New is un-avoidable, i didn't wait and placed the order and it is on the way coming, i may buy more 2 from same store online for the other 2, but now i am planning to get one more first which is 90mm, no doubt about it, but the second one i am not sure if i should go with 210 or 240 or 300, i have time to decide and i have to enjoy with 72mm first.

Peter Lewin
3-Feb-2013, 10:39
Well, what i should shoot when i get the lens? I am not good in LF yet and i don't want to shoot 1-3 sheets only and i don't want to develop by trays, i have the mod54 so i want at least 6 sheets to process, what to shoot?
My suggestion is to start with your own home, if you want to practice interior architectural work. Your own rooms will give you sufficient exercise in keeping verticals vertical, dealing with the typical uneven lighting you get with windows typically only on one wall per room, and so on.

I actually went through that exercise just this morning. I was asked to shoot pictures for a website and brochure for the religious institution I attend; while this is only a hobby for me, I have a number of black and white photographs hanging throughout the building, which is why they asked me. But I concluded rapidly that I simply don't have the equipment for the job, and in fact a DSLR would be the best tool. I have an 80mm Schneider for my 4x5 view camera, which would have been great if I wanted to shoot 4x5 color, but given the end-use (small pictures on a web site and a brochure), that is way too much over-kill (cost, size of scans, etc.). But when I put my 6x7 roll-film back on the camera, the 80mm was nowhere near wide enough. So using my own home for practice, I convinced myself that I'm the wrong person for the job (I don't even own a DSLR), but also proved the wisdom of all the responders to this thread who stressed the need for really wide-angle lenses (90 and wider) if you really want to do architectural interiors. You also definitely need a bag bellows to get any displacements with those wide lenses; many regular bellows will allow you to mount a wide lens, but as soon as you need any rise or fall (or shift), the bellows start fighting with the standards.

Professional
3-Feb-2013, 11:18
My suggestion is to start with your own home, if you want to practice interior architectural work. Your own rooms will give you sufficient exercise in keeping verticals vertical, dealing with the typical uneven lighting you get with windows typically only on one wall per room, and so on.

I actually went through that exercise just this morning. I was asked to shoot pictures for a website and brochure for the religious institution I attend; while this is only a hobby for me, I have a number of black and white photographs hanging throughout the building, which is why they asked me. But I concluded rapidly that I simply don't have the equipment for the job, and in fact a DSLR would be the best tool. I have an 80mm Schneider for my 4x5 view camera, which would have been great if I wanted to shoot 4x5 color, but given the end-use (small pictures on a web site and a brochure), that is way too much over-kill (cost, size of scans, etc.). But when I put my 6x7 roll-film back on the camera, the 80mm was nowhere near wide enough. So using my own home for practice, I convinced myself that I'm the wrong person for the job (I don't even own a DSLR), but also proved the wisdom of all the responders to this thread who stressed the need for really wide-angle lenses (90 and wider) if you really want to do architectural interiors. You also definitely need a bag bellows to get any displacements with those wide lenses; many regular bellows will allow you to mount a wide lens, but as soon as you need any rise or fall (or shift), the bellows start fighting with the standards.

You are reading my mind, this is exactly what i was going to do when i receive the lens, here are 2 shots from my home:

Hasselblad H4D-60
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q638/Tareq_Alhamrani/Hasselblad%20HDR/Photo1.jpg

Mamiya RZ67 ProII + Pan F+
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3773/img232n.jpg

Jac@stafford.net
3-Feb-2013, 13:10
Your place looks something like my old house. Large rooms, wide stair cases. You should do well with a 75mm wide angle. You will be able to correct the keystoning shown in #1. The left ceiling is distorted, however I understand that the look is rather common in Dubai interior photography so it might be called simply a style.

Enjoy!

Don Dudenbostel
3-Feb-2013, 21:56
I do a great deal of interior and exterior work fro commercial contractors, architects and just completed a four season contract with DIY and HG TV shooting interiors. Everything was digital but on 35FF I used my 24pc most of the time and second my 16-35 at the 16 end. I also did two contracts involving extensive exteriors for large prints of forty buildings. Half were shot with my MF digital back on my Technikardan 23 using mostly a 35 apo Sinarin Digital and 47 xl. A little was shot with the 58 xl.

In most cases the equivalent of a 75-72 on 4x5 was the lens of choice. Last year I sold my 72xl and can say its an outstanding lens and would be my go to lend for most of my shooting.

Don Dudenbostel
3-Feb-2013, 22:02
The big issue with a 58 and 47 xl's on 4x5, and I own both and have used them on 4x5, is they allow virtually no movement and you'll quickly if d you need a center filter which is a pain when shooting interiors or anything for that matter. They're especially a pain with a recessed board. They also take 1.5-2x of your light. The 72 requires no filter on 4x5.

In my experience I find I use rise and fall quite often so a decent image circle is essential.

Professional
4-Feb-2013, 01:45
We will see what i can do with that 72mm, i can't judge yet if i will be more doing interior works or outdoor or landscapes, in all cases i was looking for a wide angle lens for my 4x5, with my digital my most focal length range is 16-30mm, so i know that i need that range with my 4x5 too.

I can buy tilt/shift lens for my 35mm digital or an adapter for my Hasselblad digital, i say also a tilt/shift lens for Mamiya RZ, i just wanted to experiment with LF 4x5 movements and see how can i do work with that feature, i am not in rush and i don't have must assignments to shoot with any format, i want to enjoy it first then later i can worry about commercial things.

Professional
9-Feb-2013, 03:17
Finally i received the lens just now few minutes ago.

What a gem or beauty! I hope this lens will open my joy in large format, wish if it was here yesterday, today is last day of the weekend and i will be busy today, tomorrow until Thursday i have work and coming back tired, so i hope i can have photos as soon as possible and post something here.

Thanks for all the help here.

Ed Bray
9-Feb-2013, 10:51
I have the 72mm SA XL and the centre filter for it as I use it on 5x7 it is a really nice lens.

Your house looks lovely. If I had it I would be using that area as a studio.

Professional
9-Feb-2013, 12:49
I have the 72mm SA XL and the centre filter for it as I use it on 5x7 it is a really nice lens.

Your house looks lovely. If I had it I would be using that area as a studio.

Thanks! I will try to find a center filter for this lens, seems very expensive filter.

Well, i did shoot there just before we move to the house, 2 models [male and female] asked me and my friend to have a photoshoot there, was a crazy amazing time, and that is just the ground floor, planning to shoot my daughter on that area space as well, later, but for now i think i should use my skill on that space to shoot architecture/interior with my new 72mm.