PDA

View Full Version : Parts for Sinar F series?

Bruce B
2-Jan-2013, 18:21
Hi,

Besides Sinar, does anyone have a notion of where one can still get parts for the Sinar F cameras? I need some small plastic parts that hold the rise/fall rods in place.

I've emailed Sinar and Bron, but no reply as yet. Know someone at either of those companies?

Thanks in advance,
BAB

Sevo
2-Jan-2013, 18:47
Third option, especially if you have a sane and working part to copy from, might be to have it machined, cast or 3D printed - this can be surprisingly affordable compared to the prices at Sinar.

Bruce B
2-Jan-2013, 20:34
I was afraid of that. And indeed, I'm already working on making a replacement of something more long-lasting than a piece of plastic that very quickly gets cracked by overtightening the rod stay.

Are there no domestic sources? This particular part would be broken in any F series standard sold for parts.

Thanks, BAB

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
2-Jan-2013, 21:04
Following up on Sevo's comment, I made a few of the Norma level holders using Google Sketch Up and then had them 3D printed. Cost was a few dollars, nearly free compared to $60 from Sinar.

Bruce B
3-Jan-2013, 12:23
Following up on Sevo's comment, I made a few of the Norma level holders using Google Sketch Up and then had them 3D printed. Cost was a few dollars, nearly free compared to $60 from Sinar.

Very interesting. Although I've heard of 3D printing I'm not certain what same entails. And who makes the part out of what?

The part I need is the small plastic pressure plate circled in red the accompanying attachment. It's a small pressure plate that secures the standard rods (rise and fall) with a threaded screw. I have a cracked one that I could mock up based on the size of the mount into which the part fits, but almost anything of the proper size would work, with or without the cupped shape. Something like ivory or the plastic used in Nylock nuts would be good -- something that doesn't easily crack when the screw is overtightened. The small piece of metal behind the plastic pressure plate is missing, so the plastic piece has probably been changed once before. Suggestions for material would be appreciated. 86476

Sevo
3-Jan-2013, 12:59
That piece looks simple enough that you could probably dremel replacements from a bit of HDPE or Nylon within few minutes.

Bruce B
3-Jan-2013, 16:18
I think you're correct, and either of those materials would work, as soon as I can find some in approximately the right thickness. A metal shim to butt against the threaded screw adjuster is also locally available.

Thanks,
BAB

Bob Salomon
3-Jan-2013, 18:08
Hi,

Besides Sinar, does anyone have a notion of where one can still get parts for the Sinar F cameras? I need some small plastic parts that hold the rise/fall rods in place.

I've emailed Sinar and Bron, but no reply as yet. Know someone at either of those companies?

Thanks in advance,
BAB

Go to Sinar CH and check their North American dealer list. There no longer is a Sinar Bron in the USA. Bron and Hasselblad have joined together but Sinar is not with them any longer.

limnidytis
3-Jan-2013, 18:18
You might check macmaster.com - http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastics/=kvqcqb
They have many, many, many kinds/shapes of plastic stock (and everything else).

Bruce B
3-Jan-2013, 18:32
Go to Sinar CH and check their North American dealer list. There no longer is a Sinar Bron in the USA. Bron and Hasselblad have joined together but Sinar is not with them any longer.

Thanks, I do so, BAB

Bruce B
3-Jan-2013, 18:35
You might check macmaster.com - http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastics/=kvqcqb
They have many, many, many kinds/shapes of plastic stock (and everything else).

Thanks. I've dealt with this company before and they can be helpful to say the least.
BAB

Adamphotoman
6-Jan-2013, 12:09
Bob,
I think that I might have some parts. Let me check it out and get back to you via PM.

Bruce B
7-Jan-2013, 16:07
Thanks, Adam. The part I'd most be interested in is the metal shim behind the plastic pressure pad for the rise/fall rods. Both are inserted between the thumb nut on the standard body and the rod.

BAB

Bruce B
19-Jan-2013, 14:02
As per Sevo's comment above, I cut pieces out of a large nylon washer with a Dremel. The washer was 1.5mm in thickness, but I needed to bevel the side that fits into the rounded frame piece. I also bent a piece of brass shim stock to fit between the frame and nylon part, as a buffer against overzealous tightening of the threaded lock screw. Works fine and took maybe an hour total to fit both front and back standards.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions,
BAB