PDA

View Full Version : HELP Unstable Speed Graphic

czmielek
1-Jan-2013, 16:10
Hi there. I have recently become a proud owner of a speed graphic. Unfortunately mine has a slight problem with the front standard. It wobbles a lot...
After further inspection from the bottom I have discovered that there is one single screw responsinle for the stability and the locking mechanism of the front standard. It can be accessed from the bottom if you pull out the bellows to the maximum and the front slides beyond the bed. Mine screw however is missing a brass counter nut and it goes loose causing the front to move...

Can anyone of you kind people help me with finding a replacement mut. I would be very grateful and send some film in return...

Dan Fromm
1-Jan-2013, 18:33
I can't help you directly, can suggest that you ask y'r question on www.graflex.org's help board. Charles Monday, who posts there as 45PSS, follows it closely and can probably give the nut's specifications, may even have a spare one.

lenser
1-Jan-2013, 21:15
Just for an easier access, before you even start to run the front standard out onto the bed of the camera, use the two side braces to drop the bed to it's down angle position (just face the camera and press those away from you and they will allow the bed to drop), then run the rails out just a bit for clearance and you can freely pull the entire front standard and bellows assembly completely free of the camera. This makes it much easier to access and adjust anything you need to work with on the bottom side.

czmielek
2-Jan-2013, 00:12
Just for an easier access, before you even start to run the front standard out onto the bed of the camera, use the two side braces to drop the bed to it's down angle position (just face the camera and press those away from you and they will allow the bed to drop), then run the rails out just a bit for clearance and you can freely pull the entire front standard and bellows assembly completely free of the camera. This makes it much easier to access and adjust anything you need to work with on the bottom side.

Thank you for the tip.

j.e.simmons
2-Jan-2013, 06:00
Graflex used standard American screws and nuts. You may be able to find a replacement nut at your local hardware store, though you don't tell us your location, so I don't know what country you're in.

czmielek
2-Jan-2013, 06:23
Graflex used standard American screws and nuts. You may be able to find a replacement nut at your local hardware store, though you don't tell us your location, so I don't know what country you're in.

I am from Poland so it may be dificoult. Besides I do not have a spare to compare it with... Do you think that the diameter of the screw will be enough??

wombat2go
2-Jan-2013, 08:05
Hi Cz
You can download the workshop manual for the Speed Graphics
I did some investigation here and removed the hex brass nut from my camera to measure it.
According to the manual here the nut is Diagram 5, Item 28 "special nut" shown as part number 30553-P1

I do not have a tap here that fits the nut thread , but I found an old bolt in my junk box that does.

The thread is 1/4 inch by 26 TPI (turns per inch) which I see is not a USA UNC or UNF standard..
The nut is only 0.088 inch thick so that it clears the rail cross braces.

The 1/4 inch BSF ( British Standard Fine) thread has 26 tpi.
Even if the bsf thread form is not exactly same as this USA thread, I expect it would go on because the nut is brass and only has about 2 threads.

Maybe you can search for a 1/4 bsf brass nut and have it turned to thickness in a lathe, or perhaps easier, get a "round" nut made using a 1/4 BSF tap, which I see are readily available in UK.

Edit: I see 1/4 26tpi was a standard for old bicycles, maybe you could try a bike shop .. happy hunting.

czmielek
2-Jan-2013, 12:36
Hi Cz
You can download the workshop manual for the Speed Graphics
I did some investigation here and removed the hex brass nut from my camera to measure it.
According to the manual here the nut is Diagram 5, Item 28 "special nut" shown as part number 30553-P1

I do not have a tap here that fits the nut thread , but I found an old bolt in my junk box that does.

The thread is 1/4 inch by 26 TPI (turns per inch) which I see is not a USA UNC or UNF standard..
The nut is only 0.088 inch thick so that it clears the rail cross braces.

The 1/4 inch BSF ( British Standard Fine) thread has 26 tpi.
Even if the bsf thread form is not exactly same as this USA thread, I expect it would go on because the nut is brass and only has about 2 threads.

Maybe you can search for a 1/4 bsf brass nut and have it turned to thickness in a lathe, or perhaps easier, get a "round" nut made using a 1/4 BSF tap, which I see are readily available in UK.

Edit: I see 1/4 26tpi was a standard for old bicycles, maybe you could try a bike shop .. happy hunting.

Very useful information. First, I'll try to get an original from someone.. if not I will look for a replacement. Thank you.

svengelsk
2-Jan-2013, 14:47
Hi czmielek!
Firstly, apologies to all if I make a mess of replying here - I've never participated in a forum before, but I stumbled across this post and may be able to help - so I signed up on the spot...

The nut on the underside of the front standard is not essential for locking the standard in place. The base of the standard is itself threaded, so if you use the rising front to lift the lens panel out of the way, you can screw the front standard lock clockwise to tighten it to the point at which it will actually lock the front standard firmly on the rails but be loose enough when you back it a quarter turn anti-clockwise to slide freely back and forth.

The fact that you are missing the nut on the underside probably means you don't have the little steel tab which locks the cross front movement, but that's usually not a disaster either, since the cross movement is usually (always, in my experience) stiff enough to stay put anyway - it's just that you have to guess the centre position if there's no lock.

I hope this is clear enough and that it works for you!
Best wishes

Jim Jones
3-Jan-2013, 12:52
czmielek -- The older Anniversary model Speed Graphic apparently uses the same nut. I found one in my junk box. Send me your mail address, and I'll send you the nut for free. Rather than being merely business people, that's the way we ought to help each other on this forum.

czmielek
4-Jan-2013, 01:17
czmielek -- The older Anniversary model Speed Graphic apparently uses the same nut. I found one in my junk box. Send me your mail address, and I'll send you the nut for free. Rather than being merely business people, that's the way we ought to help each other on this forum.

HUUUGE thanks Jim. PM sent.