PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Kardan TE or RE specs

pdmoylan
1-Jan-2013, 00:51
Having difficulty finding specifications for both these cameras. It appears that they approach 9 lbs and have yaw free movements. Need to find out what widest and longest lenses that can be used without recessed boards, where to find used boards, and whether this would be an reasonable alternative to Arca Discovery.

Your comments welcomed.

PDM

Bob Salomon
1-Jan-2013, 04:44
With the bag bellows a 65 is the widest on a flat board to reach infinity. A recessed board is recommended if full movents are wanted with the bag bellows.

The TE/GT are yaw-free, telescoping rail, monorails with more movement built-in then other 45 cameras. In addition to the 3.3" of front and rear rise that is built-in you can add additional rise in 3.3" increments. The RE has the same features and specifications except that it is a non-telescoping 18" monorail camera and is not yaw free.

The RE and the GT are current production models. The TE was replaced several years ago by the GT.

pdmoylan
1-Jan-2013, 07:40
Thanks Bob. I am looking to confirm weight and compactness for carting around. From your description do I have it that the TE would be more compact? I realize they are heavier and less compact than the Technikardan, but Linhof images of the RE suggest I might be able to put one in a padded backpack. Any idea?

Bob Salomon
1-Jan-2013, 08:41
Any modern 45 Kardan since the B can easily be carried in a pack. These camerass have 360° of front and rear swing. Just detach the bellows from one end. Move the standards to the end of the rail and swing the standards so they are parallel to the monorail. That is how you put them in a Linhof case. Put a rubber band around the bellows and the standard that you left it on. You now have an 18" long flat package.

If you want to break it down further, not recommended) take a small screw driver, remove the stop screw on one end of the rail and slide the front and rear standards off the rail. Replace the stop screw. This will let you carry the rail seperate from the body. But you will eventually lose that screw or strip it or the socket.

RE is just over 8 lbs. the GT is 9.7 lbs. The TE is heavier then the GT by at least one or two lbs as it has the GTL monorail rather then the newer telescoping rail.

pdmoylan
1-Jan-2013, 11:12
Exactly the information I need Bob. You are a tremendous resource to us here at LFF.

Cheers.

PDM