PDA

View Full Version : Paper, any good or not? Chemistry? Fujiflex Gloss CA6 & Fujichrome Gloss Type 35

Ed Bray
31-Dec-2012, 11:04
I picked up my Devere 507 floorstanding enlarger today, well that is not strictly true, 3 of us managed to pick it up after a bit of dismantling and fit it into my car and after it's 250 mile journey it is finally in Plymouth from London (unfortunately it is still currently residing in the car as we need a few helpers to get it out safely). But as well as the set of film holders supplied 35mm, 6x7, 6x9, 6x12, 4x5 (x2) and 5x7 I was offered a few boxes of paper (that might come in handy), well it would have been churlish to refuse them as they were free. I was thinking Record Rapid, Multigrade III perhaps some Kodak Polycontrast ;)

Well the boxes were wheeled out and they were 4x unopened 50 sheet boxes of 20"x24" Fujiflex CA6 and a single box of unopened 50 sheets of 20"x24" Fujichrome Paper Type 35. Apart from the size and the fact I do not have anything to process them in will they be likely to be any good or have I just transported a large weight of landfill 250 miles?

If they are likely to be useful (I can cut them down to useful sizes) what chemistry would I need to process them and where might I be able to buy them or the chemicals to make them?

TIA Eddie (the fat one from the UK)

Louis Pacilla
2-Jan-2013, 20:01
Hey Ed I'm pretty sure that's color paper .

Not sure if there's demand for it but if your a guy that's into analog color printing then you hit the jackpot.:)

jrdeal
3-Jan-2013, 06:59
I picked up my Devere 507 floorstanding enlarger today, well that is not strictly true, 3 of us managed to pick it up after a bit of dismantling and fit it into my car and after it's 250 mile journey it is finally in Plymouth from London (unfortunately it is still currently residing in the car as we need a few helpers to get it out safely). But as well as the set of film holders supplied 35mm, 6x7, 6x9, 6x12, 4x5 (x2) and 5x7 I was offered a few boxes of paper (that might come in handy), well it would have been churlish to refuse them as they were free. I was thinking Record Rapid, Multigrade III perhaps some Kodak Polycontrast ;)

Well the boxes were wheeled out and they were 4x unopened 50 sheet boxes of 20"x24" Fujiflex CA6 and a single box of unopened 50 sheets of 20"x24" Fujichrome Paper Type 35. Apart from the size and the fact I do not have anything to process them in will they be likely to be any good or have I just transported a large weight of landfill 250 miles?

If they are likely to be useful (I can cut them down to useful sizes) what chemistry would I need to process them and where might I be able to buy them or the chemicals to make them?

TIA Eddie (the fat one from the UK)

The Fujiflex is a RA-4 process while the Fujichrome Type 35 is a Kodak R-3 process or Fuji RP-305. Good luck on finding Kodak R-3 chemistry as it was replaced many years ago with the R-3000. The Fujichrome Type 35 is for making prints from transparencies. All the information I can find about the Fujiflex is that it is for digital printers so I am not sure it it is a negative film paper or for transparencies.

Ed Bray
3-Jan-2013, 09:39
Thank you for the replies. I just need to find some small packs of RA-4 now.

jrdeal
4-Jan-2013, 05:49
Thank you for the replies. I just need to find some small packs of RA-4 now.

The FujiFlex paper is said to be equal to the old Ciba paper. It is a super high gloss paper. Here is some information from Fuji on it. "New Fujiflex Crystal Archive Printing Material produces exceptional quality prints, characterized by wide tonal range, whiter whites, and improved Dmax, while maintaining distinctive eye-catching color, durability, and excellent surface smoothness and flatness."

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/photofinishing/paper_lab_products/color_papers_printing_materials/fujiflex_printing_material/index.html