PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions about the Graflex tele-xenar 360mm with Alphax shutter

PeterEavis
30-Dec-2012, 17:07
Hello Folks,

I was wondering about two things concerning the Graflex Tele-Xenar 360mm/38cm f/5.6:

1/ Is it suitable for the Crown Graphic; i.e. will that camera's bellow length in any way inhibit its ability to focus at a regular range of distances?

2/ What size hole would it need in a Crown Graphic lens board, bearing in mind that it has an Alphax shutter? Specifically, will it just fit easily within one of the hole sizes represented by the typical copal #'s or do I need to find a particular diameter that doesn't correspond with the usual copal numbers? If so, what is that diameter?

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Peter

Dan Fromm
30-Dec-2012, 17:32
If y'r Crown Graphic is a 4x5, the lens should be usable on it.

Tele-Xenar in Alphax? Are you sure? Tele-Raptar is much more likely.

You'll have to measure. Alphaxes weren't made to the Compur/Prontor/Copal/Seiko standard.

Bill_1856
30-Dec-2012, 17:36
Only close focuses at about 20+ feet on a Crown/Speed/Super D. NOT suitable for head-shots.
Fit's on regular Pacemaker board. If nobody else chimes in, I'll measure mine for you tomorrow.
There is a special version for the Graflex, which has the aperture out front on a hood where you can see it (unlike the regular lens).
Great lens -- much better than the Schneider 360 Tele-Xenar.

PeterEavis
30-Dec-2012, 17:38
If y'r Crown Graphic is a 4x5, the lens should be usable on it.

Tele-Xenar in Alphax? Are you sure? Tele-Raptar is much more likely.

You'll have to measure. Alphaxes weren't made to the Compur/Prontor/Copal/Seiko standard.

Thanks a lot. Yes, it is a 4x5. I will see whether its name is as described when I go and handle it tomorrow.
= Peter

PeterEavis
30-Dec-2012, 17:42
Only close focuses at about 20+ feet on a Crown/Speed/Super D. NOT suitable for head-shots.
Fit's on regular Pacemaker board. If nobody else chimes in, I'll measure mine for you tomorrow.
There is a special version for the Graflex, which has the aperture out front on a hood where you can see it (unlike the regular lens).
Great lens -- much better than the Schneider 360 Tele-Xenar.

Thanks, Bill, for the insights. So, not much use as a portrait lens, then....