PDA

View Full Version : Film Sweating in Holder

Nathan Everett
29-Dec-2012, 18:21
Just a quick question that I'm hoping someone can help me with!

A couple of weeks back I loaded a couple of film holders, and after returning from shooting I put those that I hadn't used into the fridge. Yesterday, I took them out before heading out and noticed that the moisture in the air started condensing on them. Obviously I'm not worried about the moisture on the outside of the holder, but would this moisture also be on the inside and film as well, or would it warm gradually without this? If the air is condensing on the inside will this cause any issues when I develop?

Hope you're all enjoying your holidays and your other half is giving you breaks between chores so you can get out and shoot!

vinny
29-Dec-2012, 18:23
I've never had that problem but I've never put a film holder in the fridge. Don't put them in the fridge.

Nathan Everett
29-Dec-2012, 18:37
I only put them back in the fridge as they had unused film in them. It's far to warm during our summer to leave them lying around or in a draw. I guess the question also applies to unused film in the box, I take it out of the fridge and put it into the tent for loading where it sweats before putting it back into the fridge...

vinny
29-Dec-2012, 18:53
most folks will say not to put opened film back in the fridge/freezer as trapped moisture could create issues like mold. I routinely vacuum seal opened boxes of film and put them back in cold storage. Is sydney hotter than los angeles? I never had a problem leaving film (chrome, b+w, infrared) in holders for up to a year.

photobymike
29-Dec-2012, 18:55
Hey Vinny the vacuum seal idea is a good one.... except my wife has hid her Seal and Save some where in the kitchen ...i cannot find it...

Nathan Everett
29-Dec-2012, 19:05
Thanks Vinny, I won't be keeping the opened film in the fridge anymore (probably make the rest of the family happy as well!). I think my biggest concern was having condensation form of the film and leave some kind of residue, it was always drilled into us at tech to keep it refridgerated though they never mentioned what to do once the pack was opened. It gets fairly warm in Sydney in summer, it's not unusual to get a week of maximums over 35'C and the odd day over 40, bit warmer than LA maybe? I'll find somewhere where it'll stay a little cooler and keep it there.

Peter Lewin
30-Dec-2012, 08:06
Am I the only one using zip lock bags? While I have never put a loaded film holder in the freezer, I routinely store opened boxes of 4x5 film in the freezer inside the zip lock. Before I open the box, I let the zip locked bag (and the box of film inside) come to room temperature. I've never had a problem with condensation.

vinny
30-Dec-2012, 08:16
ziplocs or any other bag of it's type aren't very reliable that's why people "double bag" stuff. I do use them for short term storage or storing sealed film boxes. I've never had a problem either but now that 8x10 color is $15/sheet I want a real seal.

Andrew O'Neill
30-Dec-2012, 09:50
I routinely store opened boxes of 4x5 film in the freezer inside the zip lock. Before I open the box, I let the zip locked bag (and the box of film inside) come to room temperature. I've never had a problem with condensation.

I do the same. Never had a problem. I use heavy duty bags meant for the freezer with double zipper.

jvo
1-Jan-2013, 16:32
Am I the only one using zip lock bags? While I have never put a loaded film holder in the freezer, I routinely store opened boxes of 4x5 film in the freezer inside the zip lock. Before I open the box, I let the zip locked bag (and the box of film inside) come to room temperature. I've never had a problem with condensation.

yeh,what he said...!!!

jvo

Shootar401
2-Jan-2013, 12:00
After I load a holder and know its going to be a while before I shoot, I just keep it in the fridge. I take it out, put it in a zip lock bag to keep the dust and dirt off it it and throw it in my bag. When I return from a shoot I put it back in the fridge. I've never had an issue with condensation or sweating, but maybe I'm just lucky or haven't noticed. But everything develops fine.

Kevin Crisp
2-Jan-2013, 12:19
I've put loaded holders in the fridge and taken them out hundreds of times without a problem. Same with opened film boxes I have taped shut. I do put the holders in zip lock bags and I don't open them until they are room temperature. Sometimes the same holder goes in and out 3 or 4 times if I didn't use it on a particular trip. I only freeze film that is still in a sealed factory box, once opened it ges in the fridge, which hovers in the 35 to 37 F range.