PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in 8 x 10 Fuji Acros???

Jim Andrada
28-Dec-2012, 21:05
I'll be in Tokyo for business in the middle of January and am planning to pick up a couple of boxes of 8 x 10 Acros. I wouldn't mind buying a few extra boxes if anyone would like some. I can't buy dozens of boxes but 3 to 5 extra boxes would be reasonable. As of today the big stores are asking 10800 yen or about $127 at today's Yen/Dollar rate. The dollar has climbed quite a bit against the Yen in the last few weeks and may be a bit higher in January. I believe the sales tax is still at or close to 5% so in rough numbers it would be about $133 - $135 a box (20 sheets.)

If you're interested let me know. I won't need any money up front but would just charge actual cost to me plus shipping from Tucson to you. It isn't in stock all the time so there's a chance I won't be able to find it and no guarantee re the exchange rate.

Anyhow, let me know if you're interested.

Jay DeFehr
28-Dec-2012, 21:19
A very thoughtful and generous offer, Jim. Enjoy your trip! Envy all around!

ScottPhotoCo
28-Dec-2012, 22:46
Hi Jim! I would probably be interested. How do you get it back so that it is not scanned?

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Jim Andrada
28-Dec-2012, 23:05
Thanks for the kind words, Jay. I haven't been to Japan in about 3 years now. Used to do the trip at least once a month for 20 years or so and worked there for 6 years to boot. But a few years back I collapsed with a pulmonary embolism and spent time comatose in the ICU on full blown life support. Surprised the doctors and against all odds woke up after only a week or so and am pretty much back to normal by now so I was really happy to get the go ahead to fly internationally again. My wife is Japanese and we've really missed the place and all our friends. Feels like going home again, even if it's only for a week. I may take my Super Graphic with me, but the 8 x 10 will have to wait until I go with my wife and we rent a car and travel around for a couple of weeks - too busy with work to take that much time right now though.

Anyhow, offer still stands for anyone who's interested.

Jim Andrada
28-Dec-2012, 23:09
Hi Tim

I plan to hand carry it rather than check it in - haven't had any problem carrying Acros around either in carry on or checked baggage domestically and the scanners in Japan are state of the art so I'm not too worried - had a bunch of film destroyed by some ancient scanners in New Zealand a number of years back but don't expect any problem in Japan.

Bernice Loui
28-Dec-2012, 23:23
Fuji Acros available in 5x7 or 13cm x 18cm? If yes, I'm interested a some. Never tried this film, yet curious about it.

Bernice

I'll be in Tokyo for business in the middle of January and am planning to pick up a couple of boxes of 8 x 10 Acros. I wouldn't mind buying a few extra boxes if anyone would like some. I can't buy dozens of boxes but 3 to 5 extra boxes would be reasonable. As of today the big stores are asking 10800 yen or about $127 at today's Yen/Dollar rate. The dollar has climbed quite a bit against the Yen in the last few weeks and may be a bit higher in January. I believe the sales tax is still at or close to 5% so in rough numbers it would be about $133 - $135 a box (20 sheets.)

If you're interested let me know. I won't need any money up front but would just charge actual cost to me plus shipping from Tucson to you. It isn't in stock all the time so there's a chance I won't be able to find it and no guarantee re the exchange rate.

Anyhow, let me know if you're interested.

Jim Andrada
28-Dec-2012, 23:38
It doesn't seem to be listed in 5 x 7 on the Japanese web pages. I've been looking because I use 5 x 7 myself. You could always cut an 8 x 10 sheet into 2 5 x 7 sheets though

Bernice Loui
28-Dec-2012, 23:48
Would be nicer if Acros fit out of the box. Years ago Fujichrome can be ordered in 5x7 or 13x18.. Those days appears to be long gone..

Bernice

Jay DeFehr
28-Dec-2012, 23:53
Jim,

You're an inspiration! I missed a chance to work in Japan (Kyoto and Nara) several years ago, and still feel cheated. Tokyo is high on my list of cities to visit. I might have an opportunity to work in Seoul next year, so maybe I can make it happen. A glimpse, at least. My youngest son is a sushi chef, and would love to visit Japan, too.

Your SG should be a lot of fun, and get a lot of attention! Enjoy your visit, and your friends and everything Japanese!

ScottPhotoCo
28-Dec-2012, 23:55
Jim,

As a former PE survivor myself I understand the traveling trepidation! Japan is such a beautiful country and I love the culture. I've never actually lived in Japan but I did live in Okinawa when I was a young child. Great memories. :)

If it works I would definitely be interested in a box of 8x10.

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Jim Andrada
29-Dec-2012, 00:52
@Jay

I originally went to Japan on a 90 day business trip - which got extended for another 90 days - and another 90 days -and another 90 days - and then turned into a 2 year assignment - and a 2 year renewal - and a 1 year renewal. And then I came back to the US, married and with a Great Dane. My wife lived in Nagoya (about 200 miles from Tokyo) when we met; she didn't speak English and I didn't speak Japanese and the friends who introduced us did the translating for a couple of years. I was studying Japanese for work so eventually we could actually go out by ourselves. I never in a zillion years thought I'd ever go to Japan, much less get married, and I can guarantee that she never in her wildest dreams thought she'd wind up living in the Arizona desert. Strange how things work out, isn't it?

@Tim

Have to admit the ICU was a fascinating experience - miserable but fascinating all the same. Neat technology, although I would have sort of preferred not to have been the one it had to be used on. My wife was afraid I'd never wake up and then I woke up but was still on the respirator for another day and couldn't communicate at all and she was more worried that there would be brain damage and it wouldn't really be me anymore. She went home and got a couple of photos I'd taken in Sedona and brought them in and held them up and when I winked and nodded she finally figured I'd be OK. Pretty emotional. Photos can be good for more than one might think!

Michael Cienfuegos
29-Dec-2012, 12:25
@Jim and Tim:

Pulmonary emboli are really scary, the odds of surviving are pretty slim. I'll keep you both in my prayers that you never again experience one. My two younger brothers are identical twins, both have survived PE's. One twin had a second PE about a year ago, his guardian angel must have been working overtime for him to survive the second one.

May you both have continued good health. :)

tgtaylor
29-Dec-2012, 21:01
I haven't been to Japan since my military days when I spent 2 weeks hiking/traveling through the country. I found it a very beautiful country and people and I love Acros!! I'll take 1, 2 or all three boxes - whatever you can bring back.

Thomas

Jay DeFehr
29-Dec-2012, 23:04
Jim,

I was very lucky to marry a lovely Russian woman, and double lucky that she speaks perfect English. Neither of us ever imagined our lives would turn out this way, either. Sometimes life is kind and generous. I wish you and yours all the best, and continued good fortune!

Jim Andrada
30-Dec-2012, 13:53
Thanks Jay - best wishes for the new year. and thanks to Michael for his kind words. Funny thing is that I wasn't worried at all - I figured if I was still semi conscious when I got to the hospital things would work out OK. My wife, on the other hand was terrified - particularly when the Docs wouldn't give a prognosis and just shook their heads and said "very difficult" and left. Heck - I was out like a light and had very little idea what was going on. The miserable part was the month in the hospital AFTER I got out of the ICU.

Re Acros - IF it's in stock when I'm in Tokyo I'm planning to bring back about 5 or 6 boxes. And MAYBE 1 box of the Pro 400 Negative film in 8 x 10 just to try. I think that will get me to the limit of what I can bring without paying duty. Always depending on what my wife has asked her friends to send back with me, of course! I remember once having to go to the Tokyo central market at Tsukiji the morning of my flight to buy a whole salted salmon. And then I forgot it when deplaning and tried to go back and get it but they wouldn't let me back on the plane - until I told them I'd left a fish on board.

My clients are here at least once a month and I think they wouldn't mind carrying a box or two for me if I can figure out how to order it online or by phone and have it sent to their homes which is what we do with tea and stuff. So there may be a small ongoing availability. Of course I carry things from the US as well, like small auto parts for an old VW my friend is restoring.

WayneStevenson
1-Jan-2013, 10:14
I would love to take you up on the offer for one box if you don't mind shipping to Canada. I also have family in the area that might be able to meet locally. Not sure exactly how far from Tucson they are mind you so that may not be an option other than shipping to them instead.

Peter De Smidt
1-Jan-2013, 13:00
I'm interested in a box, although I'm in no rush and could wait for a later trip. Acros is my main 4x5 and 120mm film, and it's reciprocity characteristics would make it outstanding for 8x10. Thank you for your generosity!

Ari
1-Jan-2013, 14:20
I'd love to take you up on a very kind and generous offer, but my budget only allows Arista Edu film for the next little while.
I wish you a safe and wonderful trip.

Jim Andrada
1-Jan-2013, 17:28
Hi Wayne. What town do they live in? Definition of "close" around here is 100 miles or so:<))

Jim Andrada
1-Jan-2013, 17:34
Hi Ari - I wouldn't mind splitting a box if you like. At the slow rate I burn through 8 x 10 film 30 sheets would last quite a few months and then it would be time for another trip across the pond! It comes packed in two separate 10 sheet envelopes so easy to split. I have a few more boxes of in-date Tri-X than I think I'll be using in the next 6 or 8 month so am thinking of selling some of it before it hits its expiration date as well.

Used to only use one kind of film but it's been fun experimenting with a few different emulsions lately.

BILL3075
1-Jan-2013, 17:58
Hi Jim,

Happy and Healthy! New Year! If possible, I'd like to be included in your generous offer. Whatever you can do.
Many thanks,

Bill

onnect17
1-Jan-2013, 18:19
Allow me to suggest, perhaps shipping a package with multiple boxes could be another option.

KenHipkins
1-Jan-2013, 18:34
Hi!

Is too late to join in on this kind offering?

Ken

Jim Andrada
1-Jan-2013, 19:48
It's all going to depend on how many boxes I can A) find while I'm in Tokyo and B) will fit in my carry-on and not put me over the duty free limit. I'm thinking it will work out to about 6 or maybe 7 boxes total of which I expect to keep 2 - that will leave 4 or 5 and I'll go down the list of people who want some in the order the request was received for a box each.

I'll also look into whether I can order more and have it delivered to my client's house and see if he can bring a couple of more boxes around the end of the month when he comes to the US

Jim Andrada
1-Jan-2013, 19:57
Interestingly enough they're also showing Velvia and Provia in 5 x 7, but I don't see any Acros in that size

Peter De Smidt
1-Jan-2013, 20:09
Whether I end up receiving any or not, I really appreciate what you're doing, Jim.

Ari
1-Jan-2013, 20:17
Hi Ari - I wouldn't mind splitting a box if you like. At the slow rate I burn through 8 x 10 film 30 sheets would last quite a few months and then it would be time for another trip across the pond! It comes packed in two separate 10 sheet envelopes so easy to split. I have a few more boxes of in-date Tri-X than I think I'll be using in the next 6 or 8 month so am thinking of selling some of it before it hits its expiration date as well.

Used to only use one kind of film but it's been fun experimenting with a few different emulsions lately.

Jim, that is really kind of you to offer.
I do have a box of Acros 8x10 in the fridge, unopened and waiting for some good stuff to shoot.
I am also in between 8x10 cameras right now, waiting for delivery which should be in 2-3 weeks, so I'll send you warm thanks in the meantime.

ScottPhotoCo
2-Jan-2013, 00:15
Jim,

I am definitely in. Please let me know how and when to proceed. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of this!

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Jim Andrada
2-Jan-2013, 11:20
Hi Tim

Nothing to do on your part yet. I'm going to just buy the film (if it's in stock!) around he 20th of the month and worry about the $ etc after I get back.

WayneStevenson
2-Jan-2013, 22:28
Hah. That is kind of what I was figuring. I'll have to find out where they are. ;)

Jim Andrada
2-Jan-2013, 23:45
FYI and entertainment. Both Bic and Yodobashi are all over the country and have several stores in Tokyo. There's a big new Yodobashi in Akihabara

http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/category/index.html?query=&cate=&word=acros

http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/catalog/detail.jsp?JAN_CODE=4902520217264

Jim Andrada
16-Jan-2013, 01:36
Status Report

I'm sitting in my hotel room in Tokyo looking at six boxes of 8 x 10 Acros that were delivered to the hotel today! I'll be back in the US Monday night and I'll go down the list and see how far it goes - I'll just keep one box for myself. I also set up a customer log-in with the store using the address of one of my clients here as a ship-to address so I can place another order and have it delivered to his house. He'll be in the US in two weeks and volunteered to bring some with him. I think between what I've now got and what he'll be able to bring over I should be able to satisfy all the requests I've gotten so far. We always carry stuff back and forth for each other - I just dropped off a couple of parts for an old VW Beetle that he's restoring.

I would have ordered more of the Acros except for the fact that I have a big box of stuff to bring back for my wife.

I think I might also be able to get some Provia and or Velvia in 5 x 7 if someone (besides me) is interested as the store had both in stock earlier this week.

Peter De Smidt
16-Jan-2013, 03:29
That's great, Jim!

Leigh
16-Jan-2013, 05:01
Hi Jim,

Do you have a final price on the Acros?

I'd be interested in one or two boxes, although I was not on the original list.

Please advise. Thanks.

- Leigh

Jim Andrada
16-Jan-2013, 07:03
The film was 10800 yen per box including Japanese sales tax and delivery to my hotel. "Shipping" to the US in my carry on bag will be free! Not sure what shipping around the US will cost but it should be fairly minimal.

Exchange rate today is around 86 Yen to the dollar. so that would make each box (20 sheets) $125 plus change plus shipping to you - I'm guessing it shouldn't be more than $5 or so but will check when I get back to US - net is that it looks like $130 - $135 per box delivered in the US.

I'll run down to the front desk and check the exchange rates before wrapping up for the night. I'm a tad tired as the trip yesterday was about 27 hours door to door thanks to departure delays for the aircraft (787) because of the snow storm in Tokyo.

Between what I have in hand and what my client has agreed to carry for me in two weeks I think I'll have enough for everyone who's responded so far.

goamules
16-Jan-2013, 08:29
Hey Jim,
I wasn't following this thread. Glad you're back in Japan! If it's not too late, I'd like a box of the Provia 5x7. If you can fit it. Let me know if you need payment now...

Garrett

Jan Pedersen
16-Jan-2013, 09:10
As Garrett i did not follow the thread, i thought the film would be more expensive. If not to late i would take a box of 8x10 Acros.
Thanks.

Jim Andrada
17-Jan-2013, 03:20
I think all the six boxes of Acros that I have are spoken for. But as i said above, one of my clients has agreed to bring a few more boxes with him on his next trip to the US which will be in about two weeks from now. I think it's too late to get any more delivered to the hotel before I leave Japan on Monday. Of course, since I flew over on a JAL 787 there may not be a plane for me to fly back on and I might have to just stay here a while longer - which would be fine with me since I once worked in Tokyo for six years, speak the language, and love the place.

Jan Pedersen
17-Jan-2013, 11:36
Thanks Jim, Hope you get a chance to stay longer. I have plenty of 8x10 film so no big disaster. :)

Tim Peare
17-Jan-2013, 15:14
I would definitely be interested in a box...Acros is a great film.

Jim Andrada
17-Jan-2013, 17:16
I'm making up a list of everyone who chimed in and I think what I'll do is run down the list, in order of posting/PM'ing, 1 box per person until I run out. Then we'll see how far the second few boxes go when my client gets to the US. I may have two or more folks coming so potentially more Acros! Hang in there and I'll try to get everyone taken care of.

WayneStevenson
18-Jan-2013, 09:17
I'm still in. :D My family is just outside of Phoenix from the sounds of it. So it's probably just as well to post it to me in Alberta if that's fine with you.

ShawnHoke
18-Jan-2013, 19:05
I'm making up a list of everyone who chimed in and I think what I'll do is run down the list, in order of posting/PM'ing, 1 box per person until I run out. Then we'll see how far the second few boxes go when my client gets to the US. I may have two or more folks coming so potentially more Acros! Hang in there and I'll try to get everyone taken care of. oh man, I came to this too late, but if you have any left please put me on the list. Acros is magic for long exposures!

Jim Andrada
18-Jan-2013, 23:07
Hi Shawn

You're on the list. Between my travel and that of friends and clients from Japan there will probably be a steady if small stream (or more accurately a trickle!) of film available on a somewhat ongoing basis.

ShawnHoke
19-Jan-2013, 20:39
Hi Shawn

You're on the list. Between my travel and that of friends and clients from Japan there will probably be a steady if small stream (or more accurately a trickle!) of film available on a somewhat ongoing basis.

You just made my night! Thank you, Jim.

Jim Andrada
23-Jan-2013, 11:10
The Eagle (or Acros, actually) has landed!

Got back to AZ from Tokyo last night with 6 boxes and my clients have agreed to bring another 4 with them late next week. I'll start down the list this afternoon after I REALLY wake up and allocate the supply based on what i have in hand.

BILL3075
23-Jan-2013, 23:44
Hi Jim,

I just emailed you back.

Thx,

Bill

tgtaylor
24-Jan-2013, 12:17
Hi Jim,

I just sent you a pm and will pay by PayPal when I get home this evening. Thanks for the opportunity.

Thomas

tgtaylor
25-Jan-2013, 18:08
Jim

If you are sending it USPS Priority mail (probably $5), then tell the PO that you want a tracking number (about 70 cents the last time I used it) and email me the tracking number.

Please use my email address for communication as the Forum's email is not reliable.

Thanks,

Thomas

ROL
25-Jan-2013, 18:46
I'm going to be in Tuscon this Monday and Tuesday. Planning on staring down a few saguaro to see just who's pricklier. Too bad I don't shoot 8x10. :D

WayneStevenson
26-Jan-2013, 11:01
Thanks so much Jim. Looking forward to receiving it. :)

Jim Andrada
26-Jan-2013, 13:44
Hi Wayne

Went to the PO this AM but they were closed. I could drop domestic packages in the box but it seems I have to hand the international package to a person - not sure why but the package is in the car and it will get dropped off Monday AM for sure.

Jim Andrada
26-Jan-2013, 13:50
@ROL

Have fun - you should have a rare chance to get shots of cacti with water droplets on the spines! Just don't lick them off!

(I once for some weird reason got a cactus spine in the roof of my mouth. It was not comfy by any means!!!! I wasn't licking it.)

Jim Andrada
30-Jan-2013, 00:23
I got hold of some additional Acros today thanks to my client who brought it from Japan for me.

I have enough so that everyone who asked will get one box. If you want more than one, let me know. Between my travel to Japan and my clients' travel to US there is probably an opportunity to get a couple of boxes every month or two on an ongoing basis if people want it. Price will change depending on the Yen/Dollar rate which is now changing in favor of the dollar. Price for current batch is $137.55 per 20 sheet box including Priority Mail but not including Paypal.

I can also get 5 x 7 Provia and Velvia for $129.08 plus US shipping and Paypal fees for a 20 sheet box.

ScottPhotoCo
31-Jan-2013, 01:09
Jim,

I have heard that the Fuji 4x5 instant films may still be available in Japan. Have you come across any? If so I would definitely be interested.

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

BILL3075
31-Jan-2013, 07:00
Hi Jim,

Your package arrived on Monday. Many thanks! I'd be interested in 2 more 8x10 Acros (no immediate rush).

Bill

I got hold of some additional Acros today thanks to my client who brought it from Japan for me.

I have enough so that everyone who asked will get one box. If you want more than one, let me know. Between my travel to Japan and my clients' travel to US there is probably an opportunity to get a couple of boxes every month or two on an ongoing basis if people want it. Price will change depending on the Yen/Dollar rate which is now changing in favor of the dollar. Price for current batch is $137.55 per 20 sheet box including Priority Mail but not including Paypal.

I can also get 5 x 7 Provia and Velvia for $129.08 plus US shipping and Paypal fees for a 20 sheet box.

Jim Andrada
31-Jan-2013, 22:46
Re instant film do you have a film name?

It would help me search for it.

ScottPhotoCo
1-Feb-2013, 19:34
Jim,

It's Fuji FP-100C45 and Fuji FP-3000B45.

Thanks!

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Leigh
1-Feb-2013, 19:37
Hi Jim,

Per my post #34 earlier in this thread, I'd still like one or two boxes.
Please PM when available.

Thanks.

- Leigh

Jan Pedersen
1-Feb-2013, 19:41
As Leigh i am also interested in one box when available.
Thanks.
jan

Jim Andrada
2-Feb-2013, 02:51
Just a quick update. I'm on a business trip until Tuesday night and will go through the list and get film to as may folks as possible as soon as I get back to Tucson.

Sorry for any delay.

Jim Andrada
7-Feb-2013, 22:26
New update

I got back Tuesday PM with a horrible cold and have been out like a light for a couple of days. Beginning to feel sort of human and will try to get to this in the AM

WayneStevenson
11-Feb-2013, 20:30
Thank-you very much Jim. Just came in this afternoon. :D

KenHipkins
19-Feb-2013, 20:22
Yay!

ShawnHoke
20-Feb-2013, 20:02
My box is on its way as well. Very excited!

Jim Andrada
21-Feb-2013, 00:25
All the Acros I have has been sent to it's new homes (except for the one box I kept)

I have a couple of folks coming over in the 1st week of March and will see if they can bring a few more boxes for us, particularly the other folks who didn't get a box so far. I can order it from here and have it sent to a friend's home in Tokyo. Next time I go to Tokyo I can get a dozen boxes or so but I don't want to impose too much by asking others to carry more than a box or two at a time.