PDA

View Full Version : Sinar P question from a complete novice (help needed)

Crowfriend
28-Dec-2012, 15:37
Greetings, I just took delivery on a Sinar P. I have no experience with any large format camera. Can you please tell me what I should check to ensure it is operational?

It has 5x7 and 3x5 accessories. It has, I think, a copal shutter. I mounted the lens to the standard and cannot move the shutter off "B".

Then there is what I think is the aperture dial. It will not dial down to the lower 1/3 of the dial.

Where can I locate a manual?

Any help is greatly needed and appreciated.

Ed Bray
28-Dec-2012, 15:42
Shutter Manual Here (http://www.butkus.org/chinon/sinar/sinar.htm)

Crowfriend
28-Dec-2012, 15:48
Thanks for the link.

Ken Lee
28-Dec-2012, 16:47
Greetings, I just took delivery on a Sinar P. I have no experience with any large format camera. Can you please tell me what I should check to ensure it is operational?

It has 5x7 and 3x5 accessories. It has, I think, a copal shutter. I mounted the lens to the standard and cannot move the shutter off "B".

Then there is what I think is the aperture dial. It will not dial down to the lower 1/3 of the dial.

Where can I locate a manual?

Any help is greatly needed and appreciated.

Have you tried adjusting the shutter with the lens board removed ? Do you have the cable release ? If the shutter is partially open it will not allow adjustment.

When set to open, the aperture is designed to stay wide open. If you squeeze the cable release partially, it will close down, serving as a depth of field preview like we see on SLR cameras.

Perhaps a forum member who knows about Sinar cameras and shutters lives nearby.

Jay DeFehr
28-Dec-2012, 17:45
Are you sure the shutter's aperture linkage is connected to the lensboard properly? It might be in an improper position that won't allow it to move over its full range.

Excellent choice of camera, by the way! I'm pretty sure you meant to write 4x5, and not 3x5. I'm always looking for a 5x7 conversion for my kit, at a reasonable price. I have 4x5 and 8x10. I think you're going to love yours, once you get to know it. Enjoy!

Crowfriend
28-Dec-2012, 18:09
Are you sure the shutter's aperture linkage is connected to the lensboard properly? It might be in an improper position that won't allow it to move over its full range.

Excellent choice of camera, by the way! I'm pretty sure you meant to write 4x5, and not 3x5. I'm always looking for a 5x7 conversion for my kit, at a reasonable price. I have 4x5 and 8x10. I think you're going to love yours, once you get to know it. Enjoy!

After looking at the manual, I know that I was not operating it correctly. I have a cable release and that was not connected, for instance. 4x5 yes, that is what I meant. I am really excited about this amazing camera, but very intimidated at the present, but that shall pass. I am hoping to use it for adventures in the world of tintype. I need to buy a sinar pan tilt if anyone has one for sale.

I live in the tiny tourist town of Bisbee, Az I do not know anybody that might have LF experience, but that would be ideal to get a few lessons from someone who knows what I need to know. It's rather daunting, my experience is limited to digital photography.

I sure appreciate this forum, it's all I got.

Jay DeFehr
28-Dec-2012, 18:30
I'd bet there are several LF photographers in your area, and probably some doing tintypes, though most of the people I've seen working in collodian use woodies, and not precision Swiss beauties like we have! Take it one step at a time, and ask lots of questions. The guys here will have your bank account emptied in no time! Best of luck, and welcome!

Crowfriend
28-Dec-2012, 18:41
Thanks so much!