PDA

View Full Version : Linhof 4x5 Technika III version 5 Ground glass What to do to replace one

rknewcomb
28-Dec-2012, 13:00
Hi,
I recently got that pretty Technika III that was for sale here on the forum. I got it today and see that the ground glass is not the right one and is not installed correctly. It is just enough too long that it does not sit in the back correctly - actually slopes a little because it rests on the spring mounting screw on one side.
I have read on a Bob Soloman post the Linhof does not have this ground glass anymore.
I could probably get one cut to size but any other ideas about what I can do to get one and get it correctly installed?
Thanks for the help.
Robert N.

vinny
28-Dec-2012, 13:07
My guess is that an original Linhof gg would cost you nearly as much as the camera is worth. I'd measure/aquire the size and order one from one of the ebay merchants or a different camera co that sells the same size. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x6-CAMERA-GROUND-GLASS-VIEW-PLATE-/190774520469?pt=US_Film_Backs_Holders&hash=item2c6b0c2a95 for instance, chamonix 4x5 and sinar seem to be compatible in my case.

or try http://www.hopfglass.com/products

rknewcomb
28-Dec-2012, 14:11
Seems like I've heard that the thickness of the glass is critical in a Linhof don't know for sure. This tech III has two flat springs that push the glass up against two flat metal bars that are held in the back by two simple looking screws.
Seems like as long as the glass pushes up against these bars, I'd be good.
If anyone knows better I'm listening and appreciative!
Robert N

Bob Salomon
28-Dec-2012, 14:18
My guess is that an original Linhof gg would cost you nearly as much as the camera is worth. I'd measure/aquire the size and order one from one of the ebay merchants or a different camera co that sells the same size. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x6-CAMERA-GROUND-GLASS-VIEW-PLATE-/190774520469?pt=US_Film_Backs_Holders&hash=item2c6b0c2a95 for instance, chamonix 4x5 and sinar seem to be compatible in my case.

or try http://www.hopfglass.com/products

The USA MSRP is $43.99 for the current Linhof gg with cm scoring, unfortunately there is no way to make it fit a III. OTOH, that is far less then a III is worth!

Teodor Oprean
28-Dec-2012, 15:59
If the groundglass you have right now is the correct thickness, just send it to Steve Hopf and ask him to make a new one of the same dimensions and thickness, then use sandpaper to grind down the edges that stick out so the groundglass will fit inside its frame perfectly. It's probably just a few millimeters that you need to remove.

Teodor Oprean
28-Dec-2012, 16:11
The thickness of the groundglass cannot matter that much. If the groundglass is installed with the frosted side towards the lens it should be of no relevance whether the glass is 1 mm or 2 mm thick. You only rely on the image you see on the frosted surface. The usual groundglass back arrangement has a rigid frame on the half that points towards the camera and retaining clips on top of that rigid frame.

Teodor Oprean
28-Dec-2012, 16:25
From looking at a modern Linhof 4x5 groundglass frame, it sounds like the screws you described are used by the technicians at the factory for adjusting the position of the groundglass to get the frosted surface to coincide with the film plane. I would assume that those screws were not touched by the previous owner. You probably only need to remove and reassemble the springs that push against the groundglass.

Bob Salomon
28-Dec-2012, 16:55
From looking at a modern Linhof 4x5 groundglass frame, it sounds like the screws you described are used by the technicians at the factory for adjusting the position of the groundglass to get the frosted surface to coincide with the film plane. I would assume that those screws were not touched by the previous owner. You probably only need to remove and reassemble the springs that push against the groundglass.

A modern Linhof 001615 GG frame has 4 shims, one in each corner, whose height is adjusted by a small screw on the bottom of the frame.

What he is describing sounds like the ground glass frame on a 23 TK or Super Technika rather then a 45 Linhof. In any case, none of those screws should be adjusted by anyone other then a qualified service center. You can ask George Tice what happens when an unqualified technician plays with them.

Keith Fleming
28-Dec-2012, 21:48
Just for info, if a ground glass is a bit too big for the camera, any glass shop can quickly grind it down to fit. I had that problem once, and the man at the local glass shop took it back to the huge belt sander and ground it to fit in a couple of minutes.

Keith