View Full Version : Pathe Freres 150mm

a77
28-Dec-2012, 05:46
Yesterday I bought a lens from Pathe Freres. It reads on the side
Cinematographe Pathe Freres F = 150mm
and on the lens
OBJEKTIF CINEMA No.44108.
HERMAGIS OPT n B te S.G.D.G. PARIS

In freelens-mode there was no way of getting a focus.
Does anyone know the flange focal distance of this fens?

Steven Tribe
28-Dec-2012, 07:22
There is no flange with these barrel cine lenses. It fits into a friction mount. Double maker identification is not usual - Pathe Freres were big enough (eventually)not to have the Hermagis (real makers) on the product.

These lenses are mysterious in that they get good prices in France - but little elsewhere. Or perhaps I haven't been thorough enough.

In freelens-mode there was no way of getting a focus.

Does this mean it is not possible to form an image? In these Petzval lenses, there should be an achromat in front and a pair of single lens in the rear - and a distance spacer between this pair.

Andrew Plume
29-Dec-2012, 07:51
well I've seen plenty of this sort of lens during the past year, not all French but from other European states

at this focal length, it will probably only over quarter-plate size, will project an entirely circular image on 4 x 5 but imo is best used for mf work

andrew

Dan Fromm
29-Dec-2012, 08:34
Cine lens? Isn't it a projector lens?

Steven Tribe
29-Dec-2012, 15:06
Yes Cine-Projector!
Busch was a huge maker of these - many almost identical series, but some were labelled for cine/movies.
I sold about 6 earlier this year and stressed their suitability for MF and "Digital Experiments".

Dan Fromm
29-Dec-2012, 18:20
Yes Cine-Projector!
Busch was a huge maker of these - many almost identical series, but some were labelled for cine/movies.
I sold about 6 earlier this year and stressed their suitability for MF and "Digital Experiments".

Sir, you are under arrest, charged with aiding and abetting lens abuse.

Steven Tribe
30-Dec-2012, 05:38
I plead "not guilty"!
It is my contribution to recycling and giving people, who are bored of digital/mf images made with the usually available lenses, a radical alternative.
Perhaps even push them into LF?

a77
3-Jan-2013, 17:00
Thank you for the answers!
The diameter is 58, length 85, lens diameter about 42. The lens is probably from a 35mm film projector, type Pertzval.
The Problem seems to be that the biconvex lens is missing. With only the front lens the flange focal distance is about 240mm.
I learned an easy way to find it out: direct the lens toward a point-light, hold a dark paper behind it and change the distance until the light is the smallest, thats the focus.
If I use only the cemented element I have a 300mm lens and freelensing I get mush, sorry for that. In the last 2 pictures one can sense, the sensor only catches a small part of the image circle.
What lens(glass)-diameter have lenses for 4 x 5?

a77
3-Jan-2013, 17:02