PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a Mentor 13x18 camera

William Barnett-Lewis
27-Dec-2012, 16:08
After a remarkable turn of events, I find myself gifted with the long term loan of a Mentor folding bed 13x18 camera. It's so typically DDR in it's big hulking heavy way. I've read the wee bit that's on Camerapedia but was wondering if anyone knows anything else about it?

Pluses: Full movements, even on the back. Focal plane shutter.

Minuses: Heavy. Slow focal plane shutter :)

It's like a T34 tank mated with a Speed Graphic ... :p

In this image you can see the controls for the limited focal plane shutter (1/30th, 1/15th, 1/8th, B & Z) As well as my 1912 B&L Tessar 5x8 with a Polaroid MP-4 shutter on it's back & then attached to a homebrew cardboard lens board. I doubt I'll find any additional lens boards for this & can't afford the $$$ to have one made. This works for now though.

This image shows the lenses that came with it - both are Carl Zeiss Jenna. No T but I think they date from after that as the glass looks coated. 210/4.5 Tessar & 300/4.5 Tessar. The little 101 Optar is a relic from a Baby Speed that I use as my loupe.

It's got a strange kind of popup hood similar to my Crown Graphic but made of leather and not as useable. I'm thinking of seeing if I can detach it at use a dark cloth instead.

Last image, you can see the rather unusual film holder. The dark slide does not come fully out and inside of the holder is a secondary holder that actually holds the sheet of film. These were custom made in 5x7 size for use in the US. Three sides of the two holders I got with it were set up with 2x3 sheet holders. That seems, odd, to me but hey, there you go.

I've got a box of Arista.Edu Ultra ISO100 ready to go once it warms up a bit this coming weekend :cool:

Any further information or comments on this old beast would be greatly appreciated.

Steven Tribe
27-Dec-2012, 16:30
Mentor stuck to their trademark from the early 20th century with focal plane shutters which (at long last) were reliable.
Making changes to the film plate holders with (downsizing) sheaths and fitments was quite common.
The Zeiss Jena lenses in question are made independently of the Western Germany Company in the GDR/DDR, so markings are different.

Miguel Coquis
28-Dec-2012, 01:26
Got the same, updated with Sinar camera backs:5x7" and 4x5" while keeping the original 13x18 cm film holders as well.
Slow speeds would not help working with fast lenses WO. Otherwise, combination of slow speeds plus closing f will do for pictures without moving.
Enjoy it with barrels !