PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss to Toyo/Canham Lensboard Adapter?

Michael Mutmansky
14-Apr-2004, 08:55
Greetings folks,

I want to adapt my collection of lenses (in Canham boards) to fit an Arca Swiss camera.

I was wondering if the Arca Swiss 110 to 171 reduction adapter (designed for the A-S 110 boards) could be modified to fit the Canham/Toyo boards?

I called my preferred source of information on Arca Swiss (Badger Graphics), and Jeff said that he wasn't sure it was possible. I'm wondering if there is someone out there who has done this modification and could tell me what is required to make it work.

I've got a call in to Keith Canham, too, but haven't talked to him directly about the issue yet.

Thanks,

---Michael

Lloyd Lim
14-Apr-2004, 09:46
Why not call SK Grimes?

www.skgrimes.com

Ling Z
14-Apr-2004, 17:47
No. I have an AS adapter and a Toyo field camera. The AS 170 to 110 adapter won't fit the toyo lens boards. The Toyo 110 lens boards are too large to fit.

Pete Caluori
14-Apr-2004, 21:46
Hi Michael,

Keith can probably modify a plain Arca board to accept his boards. I've standardized on Canham boards too and have adapter boards for all my other cameras.

Regards, Pete

Michael Mutmansky
15-Apr-2004, 05:56
Thanks everyone,

Keith can do the conversion. He said he has done several of these over the years, and the price is reasonable (about the same as SK Grimes charges). That sounds like it may be the best option if I want to continue using the Canham boards.

On the other hand, switching to Linhof style boards may be a logical thing to consider, because they are able to be adapted to the Canham cameras, and they are adapted to just about every other board size out there with standard adapter plates that many manufacturers make.

On another note, Keith is going to be at the View Camera Conference in Monterey next week, and I highly recommend that anyone interested in his cameras go over and talk to him. I think he is going to have a new (for him) format there for people to look over. Without giving too much away, it is larger than 8x10, and smaller than 11x14.

He is a highly approachable person, and a real pleasure to know. It is nice to have people in this industry that are approachable, friendly, and unpretentious, and who deliver on their committments.

---Michael

neil poulsen
17-Apr-2004, 05:53
If you can get hold of one, and can afford it, Arca includes Linhof Technika adaptor boards in their catalog. They occassionally come up for auction on EBay.

Arca's number to check is 773-248-2513.