PDA

View Full Version : I just bought this Wisner 8 by 10 1500

Roboflick
27-Dec-2012, 09:24
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WISNER-8X10-CLASSIC-WOOD-VIEW-CAMERA-/370721031966?ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:3160

Is this a good deal? If it is I'm in the market for a lens that will cover 8 by 10 on a compatible lens board, please send me a pm, If not, I have 30 days to return it.. This is my first foray into 8 by 10 but I have experience with a Tachihara, and speed graphic for 4 by 5.

Thanks
Nik

Andrew Plume
27-Dec-2012, 09:37
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WISNER-8X10-CLASSIC-WOOD-VIEW-CAMERA-/370721031966?ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:3160

Is this a good deal? If it is I'm in the market for a lens that will cover 8 by 10 on a compatible lens board, please send me a pm, If not, I have 30 days to return it.. This is my first foray into 8 by 10 but I have experience with a Tachihara, and speed graphic for 4 by 5.

Thanks
Nik

yes, imo a very decent price

andrew

Peter De Smidt
27-Dec-2012, 09:37
It's a nice camera. I had one for awhile but decided to concentrate on 4x5. Condition is everything with regards to price.

Roboflick
27-Dec-2012, 10:08
Great, does anyone have a film holder and a lens in compatible board that they are willing to part with? I may be in the market if the camera checks out

Thanks
Nik

Ari
27-Dec-2012, 13:50
You can always make your own lens board if you can't find the official one.
There are many answers to be found on Google and this forum.
I made one using two pieces of masonite, some glue and a bit of drilling.

As for lens, you should specify what focal length you want, your intended use (portraits, landscapes, etc) and post a WTB ad for everyone to see.

Brian Ellis
27-Dec-2012, 18:24
The price is probably fair, not great but certainly not bad either for an 8x10 in the cosmetic condition this one appears from the photos to be in. Wisner's cameras seem to have taken a nosedive in prices since the company went out of business so to me they generally represent good value for the money.

I'd suggest that the first thing you do after receiving the camera is to test the bellows for pinholes or other light leaks. A new bellows for 8x10 can set you back around $300.

Roboflick
27-Dec-2012, 19:55
Thanks for the comments, I thought it looked like a good deal and they accepted my offer. I will check out the bellows and post a wtb thread for a lens and lens board

Nik

neil poulsen
28-Dec-2012, 08:39
It seems like a good price to me, especially since it's in such nice condition. If it were 8x10, this is the Wisner that I would have chosen. It's the Traditional model, versus the Expedition. It's lighter in weight. I don't know if it's the brass version, or the plated "airplane" aluminum model. The latter was even lighter still.

Whether this was the case for these 8x10's, but beware if you purchase a bag bellows. Some of the Wisner bag bellows were red inside, versus black. I would ask, if purchasing the bag bellows.

William Whitaker
28-Dec-2012, 08:55
Looks just like my first 8x10. Wisner lensboards are not uncommon. Plus anyone who's handy with woodworking can make some very serviceable boards out of Baltic birch plywood. Don't limit your considerations of lenses only to ones mounted on Wisner boards. Remounting a lens onto the appropriate board is not complicated.

Steve Barber
28-Dec-2012, 22:01
Does it not have a name plate? That looks more like a Zone VI than a Wisner and it is, definitely, not a Technical Field. The metal looks like anodized aluminum, not brass, and the bellows should be red leather. If it were a Traditional or Technical Field it would be a triple extension, that looks like a double extension. Forgetting the bellows color and allowing for the double extension and the aluminum metalwork, it is more like the Wisner Expedition, but I thought all of those were Technical Field cameras. I suppose Wisner might have made something to order, but that camera does not seem, to me, to conform to what he advertised for the Traditional, Technical Field or the Expedition 8x10 cameras. How much bellows extension does it have?

Bernice Loui
28-Dec-2012, 23:31
Does anyone know what ever happened to Ron Wisner? Yes, the company went bust for a host of reasons leaving much pooo.. still the cameras have a legacy and history.

Bernice

Roboflick
29-Dec-2012, 07:34
Does it not have a name plate? That looks more like a Zone VI than a Wisner and it is, definitely, not a Technical Field. The metal looks like anodized aluminum, not brass, and the bellows should be red leather. If it were a Traditional or Technical Field it would be a triple extension, that looks like a double extension. Forgetting the bellows color and allowing for the double extension and the aluminum metalwork, it is more like the Wisner Expedition, but I thought all of those were Technical Field cameras. I suppose Wisner might have made something to order, but that camera does not seem, to me, to conform to what he advertised for the Traditional, Technical Field or the Expedition 8x10 cameras. How much bellows extension does it have?

I'll check it out and report back. I have 30 days to return it. On the picture of the gg it says wisner classic manufacturing co

Thanks for the comments

Nik

CP Goerz
29-Dec-2012, 08:01
You bought a camera and now wonder if you got a deal and want confirmation whether to keep or return it from a group of strangers? Why not do the research first before bidding?

Roboflick
29-Dec-2012, 09:39
You bought a camera and now wonder if you got a deal and want confirmation whether to keep or return it from a group of strangers? Why not do the research first before bidding?

Thanks for your helpful and insightful comment!

Nik

kgm
29-Dec-2012, 09:49
It's a Wisner Traditional. I just sold mine last year. It does appear to be missing the plate on the front that said something like, "Wisner Classic Manufacturing Company, Marion, Massachusetts," but maybe he made some early or late models that didn't have the plate. I bought mine new in 1995. This one appears to be identical to mine other than the missing plate.
The bellows on this one is red leather. It's a dark red, but it looks just like the one I had. It's a nice camera. I decided to move back to 4x5 and that's why I sold it. The camera was still in good condition after 16 years of use. I had to tape up the top handle, and occasionally tighten some screws, but everything worked well. I did fray the bellows slightly when I first got it. When you open and close the camera, the front standard rubs against the bellows unless you push the bellows back a little with your fingers while opening and closing. The bellows never developed a leak, fortunately, and the fraying never got worse after I realized what was happening. The Wisners had their quirks, but I was happy with mine.
I had a Nikkor 240mm W and a 450mm M initially. When Cooke began to offer the Series XVa triple convertible lens about 10 years ago, I replaced the 450mm with that. The Cooke is a great lens for 8x10. It gives you 12 1/4", 19", and 25 1/2 " focal lengths, and all work well on the Wisner. The 25 1/2" configuration is a little difficult to use front movements with, since you can't reach the front standard when it's extended that much (at least I can't, and I've got long arms), but it wasn't that difficult to deal with. It was great having three useful focal lengths in a single package, and in a lens that cost less than you'd pay for a new 25 1/2" lens. I believe that Cooke is still making these (Badger Graphics lists them), but it's a special order and takes a few months. The last used one for sale I saw was mine. Cooke hasn't made a lot of these.
Enjoy the camera.

Brian Ellis
29-Dec-2012, 10:32

I'm sure the OP is thoroughly confused by now since he or she has been told that it's a Traditional, a Tech Field, or maybe a Zone VI but FWIW:

The bellows color is identical to the color of the bellows on the Wisner 5x7 I sold a year or so ago. I've also seen pictures of Wisners with this color bellows.

In the ad Adorama says it has geared axis tilt (presumably rear). If it does then I believe it's a Tech Field because I'm not aware that the Traditional (or the Zone VI) had geared rear axis tilt.

Without the name plate it's hard to tell from the pictures whether it's the Expedition version of the Tech Field or not. My guess is that it isn't because the Expeditions that I've seen had the more common thin circular knobs on the front standard, not the elongated knobs that this camera has. But I'm far from an expert on Expeditions.

I can't tell from the pictures what material the metal is made of nor can I tell how long the bellows extends.

The lack of a name plate is puzzling.

kgm
29-Dec-2012, 10:44
The photos of the camera do not show a geared tilt. I'm pretty sure that this is the Traditional. Actually, I'm not certain that the Technical Field cameras had geared tilts. I never used one, but I thought that they just had both base and axis tilts, but not geared ones.

I didn't think that there was any difference in the bellows extension of the Traditional and the Technical Field Wisners. I'm not sure of the maximum extension of the bellows, but I had a 25 1/2" (623mm) lens, and I could focus that at considerably less than infinity on my Traditional. It had over 30" of bellows draw, I believe.

Brian Ellis
29-Dec-2012, 10:59
The photos of the camera do not show a geared tilt. I'm pretty sure that this is the Traditional. Actually, I'm not certain that the Technical Field cameras had geared tilts. I never used one, but I thought that they just had both base and axis tilts, but not geared ones.

I didn't think that there was any difference in the bellows extension of the Traditional and the Technical Field Wisners. I'm not sure of the maximum extension of the bellows, but I had a 25 1/2" (623mm) lens, and I could focus that at considerably less than infinity on my Traditional. It had over 30" of bellows draw, I believe.

The Tech Field cameras had geared rear axis tilts. Ron said he had a patent on that feature and used it as something of a selling point. I don't remember what the backs of the geared rear tilt cameras (Tech Field) vs non-geared (Traditional) looked like so I can't tell from the pictures whether this camera has that feature or not. In the ad Adorama said it has geared axis tilt but maybe they're wrong.

There was no difference in the bellows extension of the Tech Fields and the Traditionals AFAIK. I believe both were right at 40 inches.

Peter De Smidt
29-Dec-2012, 11:17
It's a traditional. (I owned both a traditional and a Tech Field at one time.)

Louis Pacilla
29-Dec-2012, 11:45
The metal looks like anodized aluminum, not brass, and the bellows should be red leather.

Nik, it certainly looks like you bought a Wisner 8x10 Traditional L camera and looks to be a fine example IMHO.

The attachment is straight from the Wisner Catalog and it states that all but the 4x5 Traditional S camera (which uses brass hardware) where made with brass anodized aluminum hardware for weight savings.

I added the link for the PDF of the Wisner Catalog for all who care.
Here's the link- http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/wisner-expedition-technical/WisnerCatalog300dpiMonoChrome.pdf

Hope this helps

Roboflick
29-Dec-2012, 12:34
Thanks to all those who posted such helpful replies. I will save up for that Cooke convertible.

Nik

Roboflick
29-Dec-2012, 12:38
Btw I'm in Neenah wi. Interesting to see all the helPful replies from others in the state. I would like to do some shooting in Madison with other large format enthusiasts if anyone was interested

Thanks
Nik

CP Goerz
29-Dec-2012, 12:45
You're welcome Nik, seems that someone has to point out the obvious.

Roboflick
29-Dec-2012, 12:58
Cp goerz. Check out the other helpful replies to my question. Thanks for being a troll and giving unhelpful replies to a new member of the forum. You probably feel better now that you have gotten some attention

Nik

Peter De Smidt
29-Dec-2012, 13:08
I'm in Fond du lac, just a hop, skip and a jump away. I'd be happy to go out photographing with you. I also have a bunch of 8x10 holders and some lenses you could use: a 240mm, 300mm, a 420mm and a 600mm. Let's not forget tripods. I have at least 8, including some big ones.

Btw I'm in Neenah wi. Interesting to see all the helPful replies from others in the state. I would like to do some shooting in Madison with other large format enthusiasts if anyone was interested

Thanks
Nik

CP Goerz
29-Dec-2012, 13:20
Your first question...'Is this a good deal? ', can't manage to do a completed search on ebay to see what a ballpark figure is? Seems simple enough to me. I crave YOUR attention Nik..please give me more, I can't LIVE without it...PLEEEEASE!!!!

AJ Edmondson
29-Dec-2012, 14:41
As has been noted, the camera is the Traditional and it appears that the photographs which look as though there is some aluminum are simply the result of the lighting. Having had both the Traditional and the Tech Field I much preferred the Traditional and it appears to be a nice camera at a reasonable price. If the bellows are sound (my opinion) would be that you did well and you should have a nice tool for your venture into the format. Enjoy it and don't hesitate to post questions here on the forum - despite some appearances we really enjoy seeing new "converts" and there are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable folks here.

Joel

Roboflick
29-Dec-2012, 15:00
As has been noted, the camera is the Traditional and it appears that the photographs which look as though there is some aluminum are simply the result of the lighting. Having had both the Traditional and the Tech Field I much preferred the Traditional and it appears to be a nice camera at a reasonable price. If the bellows are sound (my opinion) would be that you did well and you should have a nice tool for your venture into the format. Enjoy it and don't hesitate to post questions here on the forum - despite some appearances we really enjoy seeing new "converts" and there are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable folks here.

Joel

Thanks Joel
There seem to be unhelpful people like Cp Goerz on every forum. I will just ignore him from now on. I gained a lot of helpful information, from the other responders.

Thanks a lot

Nik

Roboflick
29-Dec-2012, 15:09
Your first question...'Is this a good deal? ', can't manage to do a completed search on ebay to see what a ballpark figure is? Seems simple enough to me. I crave YOUR attention Nik..please give me more, I can't LIVE without it...PLEEEEASE!!!!

Thanks for proving my point! :p

Now I should really start ignoring you,

Nik

Brian Ellis
29-Dec-2012, 15:46
If this camera doesn't have rear axis tilt then it's a Traditional as others have said and you might want to discuss a reduction in the purchase price with Adorama on the ground that they misrepresented the camera in their listing. IIRC the Traditional sold for some hundreds of dollars less than the Tech Fields.

Roboflick
29-Dec-2012, 16:22
Nik, it certainly looks like you bought a Wisner 8x10 Traditional L camera and looks to be a fine example IMHO.

The attachment is straight from the Wisner Catalog and it states that all but the 4x5 Traditional S camera (which uses brass hardware) where made with brass anodized aluminum hardware for weight savings.

I added the link for the PDF of the Wisner Catalog for all who care.
Here's the link- http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/wisner-expedition-technical/WisnerCatalog300dpiMonoChrome.pdf

Hope this helps

Louis
Thanks! That was very helpful!

Nik

Roboflick
29-Dec-2012, 16:45
Peter
Thanks I sent you a pm, Would love to meet up!

Nik

Roboflick
29-Dec-2012, 16:46
I'm in Fond du lac, just a hop, skip and a jump away. I'd be happy to go out photographing with you. I also have a bunch of 8x10 holders and some lenses you could use: a 240mm, 300mm, a 420mm and a 600mm. Let's not forget tripods. I have at least 8, including some big ones.
Peter
Thanks I would love to meet up, I sent you a pm

Thanks
Nik

CP Goerz
29-Dec-2012, 17:09
'Now I should really start ignoring you,...

Not so fast Nik!

Lets look at this and see why I find it irksome, you BOUGHT a camera and now want a series of opinions on whether 'Is this a good deal?' What if the consensus was that it wasn't a good deal? You'd return the camera in a flash and possibly leave bad feedback to boot then run off to paypal for a refund. All because you didn't spend a full four minutes doing research. Wisner cameras are always listed on Ebay/net so they aren't hard birds to track.

The time to ask questions about cameras is before you buy them, not after the fact. Buyers remorse wastes everyones time. Get it now?

Roboflick
29-Dec-2012, 17:22
It's a Wisner Traditional. I just sold mine last year. It does appear to be missing the plate on the front that said something like, "Wisner Classic Manufacturing Company, Marion, Massachusetts," but maybe he made some early or late models that didn't have the plate. I bought mine new in 1995. This one appears to be identical to mine other than the missing plate.
The bellows on this one is red leather. It's a dark red, but it looks just like the one I had. It's a nice camera. I decided to move back to 4x5 and that's why I sold it. The camera was still in good condition after 16 years of use. I had to tape up the top handle, and occasionally tighten some screws, but everything worked well. I did fray the bellows slightly when I first got it. When you open and close the camera, the front standard rubs against the bellows unless you push the bellows back a little with your fingers while opening and closing. The bellows never developed a leak, fortunately, and the fraying never got worse after I realized what was happening. The Wisners had their quirks, but I was happy with mine.
I had a Nikkor 240mm W and a 450mm M initially. When Cooke began to offer the Series XVa triple convertible lens about 10 years ago, I replaced the 450mm with that. The Cooke is a great lens for 8x10. It gives you 12 1/4", 19", and 25 1/2 " focal lengths, and all work well on the Wisner. The 25 1/2" configuration is a little difficult to use front movements with, since you can't reach the front standard when it's extended that much (at least I can't, and I've got long arms), but it wasn't that difficult to deal with. It was great having three useful focal lengths in a single package, and in a lens that cost less than you'd pay for a new 25 1/2" lens. I believe that Cooke is still making these (Badger Graphics lists them), but it's a special order and takes a few months. The last used one for sale I saw was mine. Cooke hasn't made a lot of these.
Enjoy the camera.

Thanks
for the helpful info
Nik

Roboflick
29-Dec-2012, 17:24
If this camera doesn't have rear axis tilt then it's a Traditional as others have said and you might want to discuss a reduction in the purchase price with Adorama on the ground that they misrepresented the camera in their listing. IIRC the Traditional sold for some hundreds of dollars less than the Tech Fields.

Brian
Thanks for the info very helpful

Nik

Steven Tribe
29-Dec-2012, 17:27
The OP started with:

Is this a good deal? If it is I'm in the market for a lens that will cover 8 by 10 on a compatible lens board, please send me a pm, If not, I have 30 days to return it..

This is an Ebay purchase and their rules apply.
The lister has given you 30 days - not to check out whether you have not made a "good deal" and return - but to check it matches the description and doesn't have any faults not discovered by the Seller. Unless the Seller waivered these standard conditions!

Roboflick
29-Dec-2012, 18:33
The OP started with:

This is an Ebay purchase and their rules apply.
The lister has given you 30 days - not to check out whether you have not made a "good deal" and return - but to check it matches the description and doesn't have any faults not discovered by the Seller. Unless the Seller waivered these standard conditions!
Thanks Steven, I'm not planning on returning it, unless it's unrepairably flawed. I was mainly looking for an assurance and information from the knowledgeable members of this forum. I have some experience with 4 by 5 using a crown graphic and Tachihara for the last 2 years, but little with 8 by 10. I got a lot of helpful replies to my question. I appreciate your reply to my original question, perhaps, I could have phrased it differently

Nik

John Kasaian
29-Dec-2012, 20:17
Welcome to the land of 8x10!:cool:

Roboflick
29-Dec-2012, 20:44
Welcome to the land of 8x10!:cool:
Thanks John! It's a dream coming true

Nik

e
29-Dec-2012, 21:53
If you need some NOS original Wisner lensboards I have some in a drawer somewhere. These are new and unused that I never got around to selling. Also have NOS original Linhof to Wisner adapter boards.

Roboflick
30-Dec-2012, 03:44
If you need some NOS original Wisner lensboards I have some in a drawer somewhere. These are new and unused that I never got around to selling. Also have NOS original Linhof to Wisner adapter boards.

Thanks I'm interested in the linhof to wisner adapter board. Please pm me the details

Thanks
Nik

Brian Ellis
30-Dec-2012, 07:33
'Now I should really start ignoring you,...

Not so fast Nik!

What I don't understand is why you care so much about what he posted that you've gone on for
Lets look at this and see why I find it irksome, you BOUGHT a camera and now want a series of opinions on whether 'Is this a good deal?' What if the consensus was that it wasn't a good deal? You'd return the camera in a flash and possibly leave bad feedback to boot then run off to paypal for a refund. All because you didn't spend a full four minutes doing research. Wisner cameras are always listed on Ebay/net so they aren't hard birds to track.

The time to ask questions about cameras is before you buy them, not after the fact. Buyers remorse wastes everyones time. Get it now?

Speaking of wasting everyone's time and being rude to boot . . . .

Roboflick
3-Jan-2013, 12:11
The camera arrived today, very well packed and in great condition. The camera is sturdy and has a long bellows extension at least 3 feet I didn't have a tape measure so couldn't measure exactly. I set it up on a tripod and tested the movements and focusing and all work well. When I get it closed it seems like it wants to pop open when I hold it with the handle. Is this normal? I will post some crappy Iphone pics of it when I get a chance. Thanks for all your helpful replies and I cant wait to shoot some film with it

Nik

kgm
3-Jan-2013, 14:40
When you close it are the holes on the metal strips on the top of the rear standard fitting over the little posts on the bed? Those metal strips are thin and can get bent quite easily, and, if they are, they may not do their job of holding the camera together when closed. But they can be bent back into shape easily. I never had a problem with the camera staying closed unless I wasn't careful about making sure that the strips on the rear standard engaged with the posts. The only other thing that I can think would affect the camera closing properly would be if the front standard hasn't been lowered enough. If I recall, it closes best if the front standard slides down as you're closing the camera. Then it fits properly between the rear standard (which becomes the top of the closed camera) and the bottom bed.

Roboflick
3-Jan-2013, 18:48
When you close it are the holes on the metal strips on the top of the rear standard fitting over the little posts on the bed? Those metal strips are thin and can get bent quite easily, and, if they are, they may not do their job of holding the camera together when closed. But they can be bent back into shape easily. I never had a problem with the camera staying closed unless I wasn't careful about making sure that the strips on the rear standard engaged with the posts. The only other thing that I can think would affect the camera closing properly would be if the front standard hasn't been lowered enough. If I recall, it closes best if the front standard slides down as you're closing the camera. Then it fits properly between the rear standard (which becomes the top of the closed camera) and the bottom bed.
Thanks for your reply. The holes on the metal strips fit over the little posts. I will try bending them slightly , and the other tips you mentioned. It looks like a nice camera. The name plate is in a different location on top of the rear standard.

sorry for the poor quality of the pictures.
Nik

Roboflick
4-Jan-2013, 07:34
kgm, slightly bending the metal strips worked perfectly, Thanks for the tip, The camera has a beautiful red leather bellows, not much sign of use but scuffs on the mounting surface and some slight wear on the hardware.

Nik

kgm
4-Jan-2013, 08:24
The camera looks good in the photos. Have fun with it.

John Kasaian
4-Jan-2013, 09:05
Thats a fine looking 8x10 you have there! Enjoy!

JohnGC
5-Jan-2013, 00:03
Nice looking camera. I have a Wisner 11x14 with an 8x10 back and consider it a dream come true to use. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Roboflick
5-Jan-2013, 18:06
Thanks for everyone's helpful comments and replies, Here is a better picture.86747

William Whitaker
5-Jan-2013, 18:20
That's pretty!

Oren Grad
5-Jan-2013, 18:31
Does anyone know what ever happened to Ron Wisner?

Enjoying the ocean spray:

http://www.marionbermuda.com/profiles/wisner.pdf

Robo: enjoy your new camera! :)

Roboflick
6-Jan-2013, 18:45
Thanks! I met up with Peter de Smidt today and he checked out the camera. I was great fun meeting another lffer

Nik

Peter De Smidt
6-Jan-2013, 18:49
The camera looks very nice. I haven't looked through the ground glass of an 8x10 for awhile. It really is a joy.