PDA

View Full Version : new website

JLS
26-Dec-2012, 05:10
Hello everyone,

I published a new website and would like to invite everyone to visit it.

Comments are welcome!

Thank you all!

joseluissilva.fot.br (http://www.joseluissilva.fot.br)

Dan Wagner
26-Dec-2012, 10:17
My favorite shots are Jukka 2011, Caraiva 6 2011, Xicara 2010, lla na bi 2, 2009, coisa 11, 2009, lisboa 2, 2009, ccsp, 2008, camburi, 2007, pintores, 2007, corda, 2009, pinacoteca, 2008, cana 1, 2006, and o dedo de deus, 2006. As you can tell, I like black and white shots with people. Very clean technique!

JLS
26-Dec-2012, 10:34
Hello Dan,

Thanks for your visit and for the close observation of the images. And also for your kind words.

Cheers,
José

John Fink Jr.
27-Dec-2012, 13:21
Wonderful work Jose Luis. I especially like the still life images.
quieto escuro 10, 2012 is striking.

JLS
27-Dec-2012, 14:51
Hello John,

Thanks for your kind words!

To find this wheel with the words "Progress >>> S. Paulo" was a great joy. I was walking down a street in Sao Paulo specialized in trading tools and machines, when I saw this wheel for sale in the used section of a store for about 15 dollars. After buying the piece, I asked the clerk, "What's that for?". And she replied: "I have no idea. It is you who is buying the wheel! You should know!".

Cheers,
José

John Fink Jr.
28-Dec-2012, 08:37
Jose,
Love the story. The things we do for art:-)

Happy New Year,
John

JLS
28-Dec-2012, 13:49
Yes, John, that's it! What we do for art!

Cheers, happy new year,
José

ImSoNegative
28-Dec-2012, 20:03
very very nice!!

JLS
29-Dec-2012, 02:53
very very nice!!

Thanks! Happy new year,
José

photobymike
29-Dec-2012, 06:08
Love the pictures..... but your website went horizontal on my Mac with Chrome....... web browsers are are good vertical scrolling.... but your site went from left to right off my monitor. Probably just the browser i am using.

Love the macro shots .....

JLS
29-Dec-2012, 12:01
Love the pictures..... but your website went horizontal on my Mac with Chrome....... web browsers are are good vertical scrolling.... but your site went from left to right off my monitor. Probably just the browser i am using.

Love the macro shots .....

Thanks, Mike!

It is not your browser. I in fact planned this website to scroll horizontally. The idea is to take advantage of the new widescreen monitors, such as that of iMac.

At least you liked the pictures, which makes me happy.

Happy new year from Brazil!

photobymike
29-Dec-2012, 13:07
My monitor is a 23 Cinema Display at 1920 x 1200 .... and it still went off my screen!!!..... If i were you i would plan your website for viewing on the PC monitors which have much less viewing real estate .... Your content(pictures) is what will draw viewers.... And if where me designing the website ... i would use thumbs and a large view of your photo instead of trying to see how many pictures you can display at once. You will frustrate some viewers on cell phones and tablets that do not have much view width or speed. I also would keep the interface simple ...most people do not have the patience to wait for loading. I would design for an 800 x 600 screen.... just a few thoughts... remember you want to show off your photos, not how good you are at web design.

Bill L.
29-Dec-2012, 14:23
José,

I love the black and white portraits, particularly cavallaria 6, as well as the color calla lilly and cyclamen. The horizontal scrolling on the website (at least for me using Firefox on Win) is annoying however, and it would be nice to be able to click through to larger versions. Your work is good enough it deserves to be spaced out across multiple pages, as separate galleries. Your vision of the site may be entirely different from mine, so take the comments with a grain of salt.

Cheers!
Bill

JLS
29-Dec-2012, 15:58
Thank you Mike and Bill for your comments and critics!

Your comments made ​​me think about the choices I made when designing this website. I was happy with the result but now I see that it has some flaws. With respect to mobile devices (phones and tablets), it even has a very serious flaw: it is necessary to use two fingers to move the images horizontally. Before designing this website, I did not even know there was a way of navigation with two fingers.

In fact, it is very annoying to navigate through this website with horizontal and vertical scrollbars. It is easy, I believe, to navigate through this website with a mouse like this one of the iMac, but, this is right, it is necessary to draw a website for everyone and not just for users of Mac. But as you, Mike, uses a Mac and found it boring to navigate the site, the problems are certainly far greater than I had supposed. Some friends here in Brazil also found the images very small. In short: your comments have very good foundations. And I thank you for that. Undoubtedly, what matters are the pictures and not the website. A good website, in my view, is a website that lets the images shine and is not even noticed. Well, I have a lot of work to do!

As Annie Leibovitz notes somewhere, it's always great shooting actors and artists in general, because they make the scene and we just have to follow them. Cavallaria is a very bold and innovative theater troupe. Lorena, the girl in the photo Cavallaria 6, is a very talented artist and it was very easy and pleasant to have her as a model. She is also very beautiful and easygoing. In Portuguese, "cavalaria" means "cavalry", and for some reason I don't know, they write it with a double " L ".

Most macrophotographs were made with black and white film in various formats, from 35mm up to 8x10, through 6x6, 6x9 and 4x5. But the images "Callas" and "Cyclamen" are an exception. They were made with a Canon 5d 2 and a fabulous Leica macro lens, the Apo Macro Elmarit 100mm 2.8. Unfortunately, I don't have this lens anymore.

Once again, thank you both for your comments and criticisms. I hope to have soon a solution for the problems presented.

Have a wonderful new year! Cheers,
José

jvo
1-Jan-2013, 16:46
wow! very impressive body of work.... nice presentation.... thanks

JLS
2-Jan-2013, 01:51
wow! very impressive body of work.... nice presentation.... thanks

Thank you, Jvo! Happy new year!

photobymike
10-Jan-2013, 12:53
ropto ???? spam ??? dont get the point.... no pictures there......

cosmicexplosion
11-Jan-2013, 07:17
I found the presentation distracting.
I would prefer to see either one photo at a time and small thumbs at the bottom

Or as daggy as it is events or themes in groups.

I can't stand photo sites that have themes like houses sheds cars trees etc.
to me it sounds empty of meaning.

This is getting off track but I like to see the exploration of the artist at least
Not just random pics.

This is just general. Not at you.

I like to see a thought process.
Be that social commentary, or the pursuit of an aesthetic.

This is best done in a series
It's just a way to put a yoke on chaos.
To say there is all this going on and this is how it looks from where I stand

You do have series going on but as said it is next to too many other images

The web suffers from info overload shall we say. So I personally like minimal gallery like approach.
Paintings get hung next to each other as the left to right thing works.

So if it where me I would have one strong image to open on and go from there.
Or thumbs to click on to go to series.

Sorry to ramble.

JLS
15-Jan-2013, 03:16
Hello Cosmic Explosion,

Thanks for your visit and criticism.

I see the problems that you've noticed and I'm looking for a solution.

As soon as I find a new formula, I will publish it here.

Cheers,
José

JLS
27-Jan-2013, 15:40
Hello everyone!

After hearing the comments made ​​here about my website, I decided to do it again. I published the 2.0 version of my new website today. The images were categorized, and also became larger. The horizontal navigation structure was preserved however. I would like to invite you all to a new visit. The comments are still evidently very welcome.

I thank all those who made ​​comments and criticisms. The critics made ​​me see that the structure of the site had many shortcomings.

Once again, thank you!

www.joseluissilva.fot.br (http://www.joseluissilva.fot.br)

cosmicexplosion
5-Feb-2013, 02:53
Much better