PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Symmar - S 150mm vs Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N 150mm

Tinojeda
25-Dec-2012, 15:20
Hi ..

im going to get a new lens for my 4x5 but not sure which one to choose Schneider Symmar - S 150mm vs Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N 150mm

anybody experience the difference between them?

Thanks !

vinny
25-Dec-2012, 15:26
Not worth worrying about differences. I also wouldn't buy a new lens in this market where this focal length can be had for around $200. I you want to spend some $$, get the apo sironar-S.

Tinojeda
25-Dec-2012, 15:33
Vinny .

do u think the difference between apo sironar-S and the apo sironar-N it's huge ? .. in terms of sharpness and Quality

i want to blow my 4x5 as big as i can for an art show

thanks!

ic-racer
25-Dec-2012, 17:17
Vinny .

do u think the difference between apo sironar-S and the apo sironar-N it's huge ? .. in terms of sharpness and Quality

thanks!

How you use the lens will probably be more important. For example, selection or the focal point in the scene, the aperture you choose and your attention to detail with respect to tripod rigidity and minimizing environmental factors like wind, etc. will influence your ability to make a successful big enlargement.

vinny
25-Dec-2012, 17:32
What he said. Everyone wants to make HUGE prints now days but shooting lf is more than just using large film. There's a lot to it and an expensive kit doesn't replace experience. I shot a couple hundred sheets before I knew what I was doing. Then I shot a few hundred more and looked back at the work where I thought I knew what I was doing and said "I really didn't know what I was doing yet."
That said, i can see the difference w/o a loupe but the sironar-s will cost you about 4x the price of the N, if you can find one used.

C. D. Keth
25-Dec-2012, 21:16
That said, i can see the difference w/o a loupe but the sironar-s will cost you about 4x the price of the N, if you can find one used.

Somebody must think it's 4x sharper because they sell sironar-s lenses but I don't think the difference is 4x.

davidmarinero
18-Mar-2013, 08:03
That's the law of diminishing returns. A marginal increase in something (in this case, sharpness) comes at a great increase in cost. Now the question each one has to answer is "Is it worth it for me?"

Kevin J. Kolosky
18-Mar-2013, 08:45
As I said on another thread, I'd get the Apo Symmar. You can find used ones for quite a bit cheaper than the Apo Sironar. that being said, there have been quite a few photographers in the past that have done pretty well without using apo lenses.

John NYC
18-Mar-2013, 18:36
Huge prints are so yesterday. Go small. All lenses in 4x5 150mm from Nikon, Fuji, Schneider and Rodenstock will be basically the same. Sample differences will matter more.

Bernice Loui
18-Mar-2013, 22:36
Want to "blow" my 4x5 as big as I can...

Precisely how big.. 40" x 50", 400" x 500" maybe 4000" x 5000" ?
There is a lot more to making a good image then to simply make it BIG. As for these three lenses mentioned, they are all pretty similar with some variations between individual lenses due to production variations.

Add Fujinon and Nikkor to this group of 150mm f5.6 plasmats.

There are many other factors that affect image quality and how much enlargement is possible. Film flatness, camera alignment, film type, aperture used (smaller is not always better), environmental conditions and many other factors all have an effect on what could be possible.

If you're after mural sized prints, 4x5 might be ideal film format size, but it also depends on specific kind of image, reproduction rations and view distance and viewer expectation. This was discussed at length previously.

Bernice

Vinny .

thanks!

Jody_S
18-Mar-2013, 22:58
If you want to buy a new lens and you can afford to do so, then by all means go for it. You will have the benefit of getting a perfect lens with a warranty and customer service. If no one buys lenses anymore, the makers of lenses will stop making them.

There are a couple of lenses on my list that I intend to buy, should I ever win the lottery. And it's not because I don't know how to get my hands on cheap, 2nd-hand lenses.

Professional
19-Mar-2013, 22:57
If you want to buy a new lens and you can afford to do so, then by all means go for it. You will have the benefit of getting a perfect lens with a warranty and customer service. If no one buys lenses anymore, the makers of lenses will stop making them.

There are a couple of lenses on my list that I intend to buy, should I ever win the lottery. And it's not because I don't know how to get my hands on cheap, 2nd-hand lenses.

I agree on that, i want to get new LF lenses, they are so great to have, if we don't buy any new lenses then the makers will stop that market and then even with our used lenses we may not have good service, so better to keep them on track, i will not buy 10 new lenses, 3-5 will be enough, so far i have 2, looking for more 2 or 3 then i am done.

Kirk Fry
20-Mar-2013, 22:30
I'd spend the money making sure my film was EXACTLY where the surface of my ground glass was when the film holder was inserted. Is every one of your film holders exactly the same size? Is the film flat? Do you need a vacuum back film holder? Did your film move when you took the picture? Etc. Etc.