PDA

View Full Version : Show of my carbon and platinum prints -- The University of the Arts in Philadelphia

Vaughn
25-Dec-2012, 10:19
Hello,

I am getting ready for a show of my carbon and platinum prints at Gallery 1401 at The University of the Arts in Philadelphia. The dates are February 15 to March 15, 2013.

I will post some PR stuff when I get the info to post. We are trying to find funds to get me there as well, perhaps to give a talk and/or workshop.

http://uarts.edu/about/gallery-1401

Vaughn

Monty McCutchen
25-Dec-2012, 10:23
Congratulations Vaughn,

The work and the man are both very deserving!

Have a great show,

Monty

Andrew O'Neill
25-Dec-2012, 11:15
Best wishes!

Jim Fitzgerald
25-Dec-2012, 11:37
Vaughn, this great and very well deserved. Congratulations and Merry Christmas!

Heroique
25-Dec-2012, 14:18
Congratulations & very exciting! Hope you show some of your Sierra Redwoods to those East coast city kids, astonish them w/ your art and stories, and raise their consciousness about our lands.

Vaughn
25-Dec-2012, 17:30
Ain't got no photos of them there Sierra redwoods! (well, I nothing worth printing -- they have to be wowed by our skinny, but taller, coastal redwoods!) LOL!

They will get a few images of Yosemite, though!

36cm2
25-Dec-2012, 19:29
Vaughn, that's great. I'm only a couple hours away and will definitely come out to see that. Let us know when you'll be around, I'd love to be astonished by your art and stories, and I have no problems with people raising my consciousness. In all seriousness, your tales are some of the most interesting around. Looking forward to it.

Leo

Vaughn
25-Dec-2012, 20:34
Will do, Leo!

Preston
25-Dec-2012, 21:17
Excellent, Vaughn. I hope your show goes very well.

Merry Christmas,

--P

Tri Tran
26-Dec-2012, 09:01
Very Nice Vaughn. Great star for the great Photographic career New Year. All the Best.

Roger Thoms
26-Dec-2012, 09:30
Vaughn, congratulions, sound like it will be a great show.

Roger

John Fink Jr.
26-Dec-2012, 09:48
Congratulations Vaughn. I'll most likely be able to make this show. Keep us posted!

Kirk Gittings
26-Dec-2012, 10:05
Congratulations-wish I could get there.

Peter De Smidt
26-Dec-2012, 10:57
Congratulations!

Scott Davis
26-Dec-2012, 11:14
Congrats, Vaughn! And absolutely do keep us informed - I will at least make it to see the show, if the schedule doesn't let me make it to the opening.

Hugo Zhang
26-Dec-2012, 13:00
Congratulations!

sanking
26-Dec-2012, 17:13
Vaughn,

Congratulations. Hope you have a great show.

Sandy

Vaughn
29-Jan-2013, 16:40
Thanks, everyone!

I have been matting like a madman and about ready to ship the prints to the East Coast. I even had an all-night carbon printing session this past weekend to get a couple more prints ready for the show. The show is up Feb 15 to March 15.

There will be a couple 11x14 carbons, and the rest will be 8x10 carbons and 8x10 platinum prints. I'll be sending a couple dozen prints, but probably around 20 going up on the walls. So if you have not had a chance to see carbon prints up close and personal, here is your chance! There will also be 4 or 5 platinum prints from my on-going series of my triplet boys in the landscape.

Sorry to say that I will not be able to see the show myself, so if you get there, I'd love to hear what you think of it!

Vaughn

Pfiltz
29-Jan-2013, 17:01
Kuddo's

Kirk Gittings
29-Jan-2013, 17:57
Sorry to say that I will not be able to see the show myself, so if you get there, I'd love to hear what you think of it!

That sucks! I was recently in a show at the Dept. of the Interior in DC and couldn't get there either-bummer.

Jim Fitzgerald
29-Jan-2013, 19:01
Vaughn, congrat's my friend. Well deserved. I know the work is first rate. I hope someone who attends can send you some pictures of the show. Love to see them.

Andrew O'Neill
29-Jan-2013, 20:01
Congrats, Vaughn! I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into producing a show.

Vaughn
31-Jan-2013, 20:07
Kirk -- just found out that they are still working on trying to get me out there (to give a demo or workshop in Carbon printing). So who knows, I might still be able to see the show!

Bummer about your DC show.

Vaughn

Jim Fitzgerald
31-Jan-2013, 20:16
Vaughn, that would be great if they have you come out. At my last show I was given the opportunity to give a lecture on carbon transfer printing that went very, very well. People then can understand the beauty of this process and its value to a collector. Hope you get there!

Curt
1-Feb-2013, 00:08
Vaughn, again congratulations on the east coast show, those who see your work will get a special look at some of the west coast's most beautiful photography. I believe it's right up there with the legendary west coast photographers who have set the standards very high. I also hope you're able to go and make an appearance, that would be fantastic. It's going to make those cold freezing bike rides to the University and long nights printing well worth the hard effort.

John O'Connell
1-Feb-2013, 07:21
I work a whopping two blocks from the gallery, so I'll definitely report on the show when it goes up.

Joe O'Hara
1-Feb-2013, 12:20
I work a whopping two blocks from the gallery, so I'll definitely report on the show when it goes up.

Ditto for me. Something to look forward to during the cold weather!

Vaughn
1-Feb-2013, 12:42
Thanks, Jim, Curt. I hope the prints come even halfway to your praise.

John, Joe -- cool, I hope you enjoy the work!

Vaughn

Jim Fitzgerald
1-Feb-2013, 15:02
Vaughn, I have no doubt in my mind!

Curt
1-Feb-2013, 17:48
Vaughn, I'm sure the work will be very well received. The prints I've seen in person are stellar and that only comes with years of intense thought and labor. You definitely have found your magic purpose in life.

Vaughn
15-Feb-2013, 20:48
The show should be going up as we speak (or write, anyway).

They are flying me back there at the end of a month -- I'll be giving a carbon printing workshop to a few students and faculty on the weekend (March 2/3), but with a demo of the process on Saturday morning before the actual workshop begins. If anyone would like to be at the demo (it will take a couple hours starting around 10 am...not set in stone yet), let me know and I'll see if non-university folks are welcomed. I'll arrive late Thursday night and spend Friday checking out the facilities and maybe running a few tests. I'll talk to a class on Tuesday in the gallery and fly home on Wednesday.

I heard there was a good art museum in town...if it is open on Mondays, I'll try to get there.

Vaughn

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Feb-2013, 21:14
Vaughn, this is awesome. Congratulations.

Joe O'Hara
17-Feb-2013, 19:18
Vaughn, unfortunately the Philadelphia Museum of Art (which is the "big" museum in town) is closed on Mondays,
as well as the Perelman Building, where PMA has much of its permanent photography collection. The Rodin Museum
on the Parkway should be open, it says.

If you enjoy "Impressionist" art, the Barnes Foundation, which is said to have a superb collection, is open on Mondays.
I have not visited there, but the website tells us that purchasing tickets in advance is advised:
http://www.barnesfoundation.org/visit/philadelphia/ That's a short taxi ride from where your show is.

Other locals may have alternative suggestions.

Cheers
Joe

Vaughn
17-Feb-2013, 19:32
A taxi? Dang...that's big city stuff! I guess I can handle it...I did take a taxi in 1995 in Costa Rica. I'll be staying with the director of the photo program of the university, so I am sure I can get the low-down. Sounds like the variety of food is good in Philadelphia. What we have here tends to be more of the hippy variety... with just a hint of ethnicisity to it.

I just ordered some 120 film, so on Monday I might wander around Philly with the Rolleiflex.

matthew blais
17-Feb-2013, 20:14
Woot woot! Congrats!

Jim Graves
17-Feb-2013, 21:36
Perfect! I'll see you this coming weekend ... hope I can contribute to a round of brewskis in the City of Brotherly Love!!!!

Curt
17-Feb-2013, 23:58
Vaughn, that's fantastic, I hear they make great steak sandwiches there! The list of must see sites is long. There's a bell to see and the Rodin museum with the largest collection outside of France. 2nd is the Legion of Honor in San Francisco. Art, architecture, a great zoo, you can't get it all in. Better stay an additional week! Any brewery tours? ;). Pack light and have a great time.

John O'Connell
18-Feb-2013, 07:48
The other "big" museum in Philly is the PA Academy of Fine Arts. It is closed on Monday, of course. The Mutter Museum is open on Mondays. You might want to check out the Navy Yard (it has a mothball fleet, including a supercarrier) or the Eastern State Penitentiary (I'd call in advance re: tripods).

Philly's train and subway system is very commuter-oriented, so you'll be looking into taxis or buses if you don't feel like hoofing it long distances to get around town to the interesting bits.

Roger Thoms
18-Feb-2013, 13:19
Vaughn, fantastic that you are going to make the show. For us folks stuck here on the west coast you'll have give us a full report. I'm sure it will be a huge success.

Roger

Scott Davis
19-Feb-2013, 06:57
Eastern State does require a tripod permit, which costs $10-15 (I forget exactly... its on their website). You can pay for it when you enter, no need to pre-arrange. For those who live nearby, it's a fantastic value as it is valid for the entire season (basically the rest of 2013). The Mutter would be a terrific way to pass a Monday (especially if the weather is lousy) with the caveat that I don't think they allow photography. Double-check on their website, as they may have changed the policy.