PDA

View Full Version : How to operate a Zeiss Ikon Adoro Tropen 230/3

Ian Manning
25-Dec-2012, 10:17
Hi,

My partner has inherited a Zeiss Ikon Adoro Tropen 230/3 camera (serial number: Q97260) and I am having a bit ofd trouble operating it.
First, I found the release button for the folding mechanism, but now cannot get them to close again! (The release button on releases the plate - it does not have any other connection to the mechanism). I have searched for any obvious over centre catches or retaining clips, but can see none.

Secondly, I assumed that the large knurled thumbwheel on the front right of the twin slides was used to slide the lens bellows forward and back. It moves a minuscule fraction when you attempt to turn it, but stops with a click either way.

I should be really grateful for any advice on how to overcome these problems. It has several plates and I would really love to be able to take some photographs with it in due course.

Many thanks.

Ian

big_ben_blue
25-Dec-2012, 14:35
To close the camera, you probably have to push the two "diagonal" struts a bit down to release them (the upper end of them is probably spring loaded). The camera should then fold and the open/close clasp should engage once you close the camera completely (unless the bed/slides are misaligned).
Don't know about the thumbwheel though. Did you try to push or pull it a bit before turning? There might be a hidden locking mechanism; but I doubt it. Can you move the front standard by pressing the two buttons on the front? Try to move the standard firmly onto the slides that way and then try the thumbwheel again. Sorry that I can't be of much further help, my somewhat similar Zeiss Ikon Universal Palmos is rather straight forward to operate.

Steven Tribe
25-Dec-2012, 15:54
The wheel which drives the bed out has to be pulled out for it to engage the track - perhaps 5mm - and pushed in again to close the unit.

These are pretty strudy designs so broken gears are unlikely.

This is a late model and the struts may have a system for a "drop down" system for avoiding getting the bed into the picture when using wide-angled lenses.

As you may know, the "Tropen" model usually denotes very pale de luxe leather bellows. In this case I believe the case is teak!

This is not really large format as the plate size was 6.5x9cm!
It was a continuation of the contessa-nettel product by Zeiss-Ikon from 1927.
Very sought after model!

Jonathan Barlow
25-Dec-2012, 16:25
Does it look like this?

Sevo
25-Dec-2012, 16:29
As you may know, the "Tropen" model usually denotes very pale de luxe leather covering/bellows. But, it this case I believe the case is teak!

Did it? All "Tropen" (tropical) cameras I have come across were bare wood or bare metal - doing away with the decorative body leather covering was one of the key steps to tropics proofing a camera.

Steven Tribe
25-Dec-2012, 17:22
The "Tropical" designation may have meant something early on (insect-resistant) - but by the time this was made (late 20's?) it was just the de luxe model designation which probably never went out of Europe. Voigtlländer went another way with their dark green leather for top models.

Sorry, this is medium format - not large format! Large format is xxx/7 for 9x12cm in Zeiss designation system.