PDA

View Full Version : Kodak 2d modification

cosmicexplosion
24-Dec-2012, 15:23
I was just looking at my 2d last night thinking that it would be very doable to modify it for the swing

....and it don't mean a thing if if dint got that swing.

I also realised that if I get a piece of metal or wood that has a slide hole in the
Middle I can make it very solid by attaching it to the top of the from and back standards
If I wanted to go crazy I could also quiet easily stiffen up the rails using extra timber of a chamionix type base board
Any way the top metal thing could bd contained length wise as I only use a 360 for her
And thus don't need much variation in bellows
So it would not stick in eye or in field if view
Any way gentlemen your pictures would be appreciated
Or maybe we should start a 2d mod thread

Brian Ellis, jim galli, Ian G, and dap you know who you are
Time to show your stuff
Conditions on down

And any one else of course

Andrew

Brian Ellis
24-Dec-2012, 16:31
As I mentioned when you asked about this in another thread, I had my 2D modified by Richard Ritter to add front tilt (I don't remember whether front swing was included or not, probably not since the camera has rear swing and I don't use swing front or back very often). I no longer have the camera so I can't show you photos. Richard did an excellent job for about $250 about 8 years ago.

big_ben_blue
24-Dec-2012, 16:40
I'll see if I get around during the Holidays to take a few pics of my 2D. It got a pretty decent front standard mod (swing and tilt). Don't know who built it (bought it used); but it's on a pro level (meaning rock solid construction).

Lachlan 717
24-Dec-2012, 16:50
Can somebody please post a photo of the (non-modified) front so that I/we can have a think about how to do this?

goamules
24-Dec-2012, 17:09
Google of Kodak 2d pics, millions of them: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=kodak+2d+camera&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.cGE&bpcl=40096503&biw=1440&bih=775&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=bO7YUJiZFqbmiwKsjIDACQ

C. D. Keth
24-Dec-2012, 19:18
Here's a photo (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/75697-kodak-2d-8x10-extension-rail-4x5-back.html) of a camera that was sold on apug that had the front standard modified for front tilt, shift, and swing. You should be able to tell from the photo how to do it, very simple hardware.

BetterSense
24-Dec-2012, 20:58
That was mine!

I should have never sold it. I had no idea it was modified, not knowing what a factory 2D looked like.

C. D. Keth
24-Dec-2012, 21:29
That was mine!

I should have never sold it. I had no idea it was modified, not knowing what a factory 2D looked like.

Hah, figures either the buyer, the seller, or both frequent this forum as well. It wasn't a very pretty modification but it looks functional and tough.

Jon Shiu
25-Dec-2012, 10:39
Hah, figures either the buyer, the seller, or both frequent this forum as well. It wasn't a very pretty modification but it looks functional and tough.
Note also, that in the picture the center block and front rail are on backwards and the detached rail is actually a rear extension rail.

Jon

IanG
25-Dec-2012, 12:07
Andrew, I ndon't have any photos at this stage as I've yet to build my frnt tilt mechanism for my Agfa Ansco. Essentially it'll be built into a new lens board, a smaller fgrame/;ens board that tilts inside a full sized lensboard frame, sounds more complex than it is in practice. There are other ways of doing this but I want to keep the integrity of the original camera.

I'll make a mock up first with Kappa board (foan board), the hardest part is goig to be the brass-work :D It'll be a week or two before I get started I've 50+ exhibition prints to get mounted firts :)

Ian

cosmicexplosion
25-Dec-2012, 18:45
Good luck with the show Ian

Yeah it looks pretty simple as per link

I don't mind not keeping integrity of camera, as long ad my woodwork is up to the same standard and so looks part
Of the whole.

Craig Roberts
26-Dec-2012, 21:31
Here is a picture of a 2D that someone modified

domaz
31-Dec-2012, 17:56

I think that is the front standard support off a B&J rail camera of some sort. Not a bad idea, but I have a feeling most wooden camera purists would balk at using metal.

Michael Clark
31-Dec-2012, 18:20

Looks like the rear standard of my 5x7 B&J view camera,, which is real shaky.The front standard of the 5x7 B&J view camera would be more sound.
Mike

big_ben_blue
2-Jan-2013, 10:42
A few pics of my work horse 2D. I can't complain about the mod, it's functional and works quite well.

Craig Roberts
4-Jan-2013, 16:44
Here is a 2D that I modified for tilt, no swings. Craig

C. D. Keth
4-Jan-2013, 16:58
Here is a 2D that I modified for tilt, no swings. Craig

Why the wooden "lintel" rather than the brass band on the stock camera? It seems like you've limited your front rise at almost none.

Craig Roberts
4-Jan-2013, 19:12
I ended up removing the lintal after trying it out. The front standard was a complete build and the original was left intact. I no longer have this camera and the new owner went back to the original 2-D front standard.