PDA

View Full Version : Ilex Acme Synchro Shutter - Flash sync problems

adelorenzo
22-Dec-2012, 18:05
I have an Ilex Acme Synchro Shutter (No. 3) that doesn't seem to want to sync the flash. Here is what is supposed to happen:

1. Set shutter speed and aperture
2. Cock the shutter
3. Cock the flash sync lever
4. Trip the shutter and Poof!

Here is what is happening for me:

1. Set shutter speed and aperture
2. Cock the shutter
3. Cock the flash sync lever
4. Trip the shutter and only the flash sync lever releases (no flash)
5. Trip the shutter a second time and the shutter opens (no flash)

The puzzling thing is that it does occasionally work but it seems to be something to do with the shutter release not fully releasing. Any had this problem? Any thoughts?

Regards,
Anthony

Louis Pacilla
22-Dec-2012, 19:21
Hi Anthony

Make sure you turn the tiny thumb wheel near sync cocking lever to (0) or the (tiny red dot). This allows the shutter to fire at the same time as the electronic flash "X"sync. Pretty sure the others where sort of a delay so the bulb had time to get to maximum burn(light) before the shutter opened.

Hope this helps.

adelorenzo
22-Dec-2012, 21:48
Thanks for the reply. I've actually tried different settings (including the red dot) but in all cases it takes two clicks of the shutter release to actually fire the shutter and no flash at all. Like I mentioned it has worked a few times so I think something might be jamming in the shutter release mechanism.

BrianShaw
23-Dec-2012, 07:54
Yes, it sounds like a shutter overhaul needed.

adelorenzo
25-Dec-2012, 00:16
Well I did the old 'flush it with lighter fluid' trick and everything seems to be running fine now. Cocking the shutter and the flash produces the expected result.

Now all I need to do is get a lens board and retaining ring!