PDA

View Full Version : Roto Processor

Tom Smart
13-Apr-2004, 06:43
Hello, I was wondering if the Adorama standard roto bath processor (sku DKRBPP) can process 4x5 sheet film. Does anybody know? Does it need clips inside the drum to hold film in place? Would it work for black and white as well as C-41 and color paper? I'd potentially like to get it with the optional temperature regulator and use it for multiple purposes. I tried a couple of times to ask with the live help feature at Adorama, but was unsuccessful.

Stan. Laurenson-Batten
23-Apr-2004, 14:03
I have been on a similar road myself but with the old Patterson spiral tanks for 35/120. When I went up to 5X4 I set about converting my 35mm/120 drum to take four sheets of 5X4. I used the centre colum of the tank as the support for a pair of stainless steel rods set at right angles to each other and about 1/4 inch space between the two rods. I cut the stainless rods to the exact diameter of the drum so there was no gap. The rods were 1/8 dia. from a racing dinghy flag, there are many other cheap sources I am sure. The spirals became redundant.

My first results with 5X4 B&W were faultless, which spurred me on to try C41 and ultimately E6. I was unable to fault the developing. However, I did have trouble with the temp. control with colour film processing.

I am sure any type of processor can be adapted to process all or any film. If the film can be fitted into the tank, even with a slight curve as mine did emulsion in, held by the film tension against the ends of the rods there is nothing to go wrong. I used constant agitation by slowly rolling the drum. In addition it is the most ecconomical on chemicals, particularly suited to 'one shot' type processing. I now use the Jobo CPP2 with lift and the Jobo expert drums, it is easier than my make up tank, but only as far as I can develop ten sheets, and have acurate temp. control; I do not need to have constant hands on. But, there is no difference in the quality of my negs. or trans. I am not familiar with your equipment, but I am confident that colour film can be processed in it provided that there is no chemical contamination/reaction with the type of plastic used for the manufacture or constrution. I say, Give it a GO!