PDA

View Full Version : what current 4x5 color neg film for night landscapes?

ecphtqns
20-Dec-2012, 13:03
Hi - getting back into LF after years away and one of my favorite subjects is night landscapes. I feel that digital doesn't handle things like street lights that well. I used to use Fuji 160 NPL. Does anyone have an opinion on what's good for this type of work and what's available on the market these days? Sorry if this question has been asked - I appreciate the help.

vinny
20-Dec-2012, 13:14
kodak is the only game in town- portra 160, 400 and ektar. I'd use ektar 100 though.

ecphtqns
20-Dec-2012, 13:29
kodak is the only game in town- portra 160, 400 and ektar. I'd use ektar 100 though.

thanks Vinny. Ektar works ok with long exposures? I didn't see any reciprocity info on the kodak site. any experience with fuji 160NS?

vinny
20-Dec-2012, 13:41
I only shoot fuji chrome or kodak PRN for night work and fuji 160 for the few weddings I've been suckered into. My friend tom paiva has been experimenting with ektar since he's almost out of color neg. There may be some examples on his blog as he's been shooting a lot of night work on the construction of the new bay bridge.

thanks Vinny. Ektar works ok with long exposures? I didn't see any reciprocity info on the kodak site. any experience with fuji 160NS?

ecphtqns
20-Dec-2012, 14:11
oh yeah i really like his work, i'll follow his blog. i'm off to Tokyo this weekend to see family - i wonder if I can find some film.