PDA

View Full Version : Weather in Yosemite

ignatiusjk
18-Dec-2012, 12:02
Does anybody know if Yosemite is getting any significant snowfall yet? I've looked at the Yosemite webcam and it doesn't look like their getting much snow.I'm going in May and I'm hopng the waterfalls are going to be full.I'm taking somone who has never been there before so I would like for her to see Yosemite in full bloom.

djhopscotch
18-Dec-2012, 12:20
We have had one significant storm already this winter, which is already more than last years very dry winter. In May even in a dry year you will have water flowing on all of the falls, so i would worry too much about it.

Drew Wiley
18-Dec-2012, 13:19
The weather in general in Calif has been shizophrenic. At the moment colder and wetter than "normal", but that's no indication of what will happen next month. But with regard to
the falls, they tap into much more significant snow levels at higher elevations. Snow conditions in the Valley itself won't tell you much. And there's already plenty up there. I
can even see the substantial snowpack from our hills around here, a 150 miles away. Just
go, you won't be disappointed. But if I were you, I'd also do some touring of the wildflower
country below Yosemite proper. On a good year, the poppies further down the Merced
River can be incredible. And everyone need to know what a Mariposa lily looks like. Mark
Twain would never forgive you if you didn't.

ignatiusjk
18-Dec-2012, 14:51
Thanks.

Robert Hall
18-Dec-2012, 15:27
Drew,

Would you suggest some spots to see said flowers?

R

Sideshow Bob
18-Dec-2012, 15:49
In mid May, the Dogwoods in the valley are in bloom.
Mr.Gale

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j440/MrGale69/Dogwoods/DW-Over-Fast-Water.jpg

Drew Wiley
18-Dec-2012, 16:04
Just spend some time downhill from Yosemite. Depending on the year, the wildflower shows
begin at low elevation around the end of Feb, with March often being the most spectacular
in the lower canyons, extending thru April. It's amazing just how many people zoom thru
the lower "Mother Lode" hill country trying to get to Yosemite Valley. I'd aim for the backroads to the southwest of the Park, Mariposa area in general, also lower Merced Riv
canyon. My gosh, the famous bearded photographers of the past spent plenty of time
down there, and didn't even use color film. The key is ... wander. Don't go for the stereotypical tourist spots. The primary north/south link is Hwy 49. Head south from Sonora or from Coulterville, across the Bagby grade (enjoy the curves), down thru Mariposa, etc. But I won't give away my favorite place - not that I'm trying to monopolize
them. I just like the solitude with endless views and miles of wildflowers in the foreground
in March. Plenty of rock formations great rock formations too, and ruins of the Gold Rush.

Preston
18-Dec-2012, 16:11
Our small group of intrepid LFers, who also happen to be members of our forum, make a trip to Yosemite in early May. Our experience has been that the falls are running quite well (although this past May, they were lower than normal) and the early leaves are very luminous. The Dogwood bloom can vary, of course, but we usually manage to find nice ones--you just have to wander around.

The Merced Canyon between the Park and Mariposa can be be spectacular, as Drew said. Also, the ghost forest from the Big Meadow fire can be very intriguing.

Drew: It's more correctly "Mariposa Tulip". Full disclosure: I too made the same mistake for years. They are one of my all-time favorite flowers.

To the OP: Since you are planning to go in May, it's a good idea to plan your trip so that you go before Mother's Day weekend. From then on, the Valley is packed.

--P

Jim Fitzgerald
18-Dec-2012, 23:18
I just got back from a day trip to Yosemite. Today it was 35 degrees and we got snow, rain, hail and sun. Some of the best weather I have ever seen. I only took digital as my girlfriend and I had limited time. It was her first visit to the park and the first time to ever see it snow. What a day! Last year I was in the park in April or march when the valley got 6 feet! Go and do not worry about the weather. It is amazing!

Vaughn
18-Dec-2012, 23:40
Good to know you got her up there, Jim!

Printing a couple carbons tonight. Already made my first mistake of the evening -- have the negative upside down in the one exposing right now. Oh well, it will be not be sharp, but I'll get a good idea on the exposure! (a 4x10 from our redwood adventures.

And as far as wondering about the weather and the falls in May, I like the old Japanese saying, "Tomorrow's wind blows tomorrow. or even, "Climate is something one has, weather is what one gets!

Leszek Vogt
19-Dec-2012, 00:22
My suggestion is to watch the weather....and if you get some serious rain elsewhere, it will likely snow up in the mountains. Hey, it worked for me.
Drove out to Oakhurst w/girlfriend just at the end of the storm, stayed over night as they were clearing the roads....and it was pristine-gorgeous visit in the park. If it's a nice storm, you'll remember it for many many years....that was back in 1981.

Les

Jim Fitzgerald
19-Dec-2012, 08:02
Good to know you got her up there, Jim!

Printing a couple carbons tonight. Already made my first mistake of the evening -- have the negative upside down in the one exposing right now. Oh well, it will be not be sharp, but I'll get a good idea on the exposure! (a 4x10 from our redwood adventures.

And as far as wondering about the weather and the falls in May, I like the old Japanese saying, "Tomorrow's wind blows tomorrow. or even, "Climate is something one has, weather is what one gets!
Vaughn, I wished I would of had the 8x10 with me. June and I were both kicking ourselves for that one. It was a quick day trip! We were trying to take more time but just can't do it with her trip coming up. We got to witness nature at her best from Tunnel View. I've got it on digital but an 8x10 or larger would have been sweet. When you are in Yosemite during a light snow storm it is like nothing else!

Drew Wiley
19-Dec-2012, 11:04
Hi Preston - Amazingly I do have close to a formal Botany degree under my belt, with the
added distinction of having forgotten every bit of it! I'd have to see what "the expert"
(Munz - Calif Flora) called it. I love how different colors come out in different years,
and some years none at all. Then there are really bizzare years which they actually appear
in quantity here on the coast on Mt Hamilton, but a different subspecies -smaller. But given the value of local lore, I'll take the BS of Mark Twain over the facts any day!
I think his short story, Mormon Lilies, was written with these flowers in mind.