PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 field cameras - any suggestions?

welly
17-Dec-2012, 04:53
I'm going to be in the market for an 8x10 field camera early next year. I know whatever 8x10 field camera I set my sights on is going to cost me an arm and a leg but just wondering what the options are? Will be looking for a used camera of some description. I suspect anything like a Chamonix is going to be out of the question. Are there any hidden gems that no one knows about which go for a snip?

Thanks! :D

Brian Ellis
17-Dec-2012, 05:16
No. There certainly are cameras that cost a lot less than an arm and a leg but not any "hidden gems that no one knows about which go for a snip" (I'm assuming "a snip" means little money). If you're trying to stay in the under-$1,000 range your best bet is probably one of the older cameras like a Kodak 2D or Korona or something like that (as opposed to say an 8x10 Deardorff, Canham, Chamonix, Shen Hao, Tachihara, etc.). The movements will be limited but if you're doing landscape work (my guess since you're asking about field cameras) you may not need a lot of movements. If you could go up to maybe $1,500+ a Tachihara or Shen Hao might be doable.

If you're willing to put up with the weight, bulk, and general inconvenience of a monorail in the field there are quite a few of those that go for a snip.

You'll get better, more useful, responses if you provide more information about your price range and type of photography you do.

welly
17-Dec-2012, 06:09
No. There certainly are cameras that cost a lot less than an arm and a leg but not any "hidden gems that no one knows about which go for a snip" (I'm assuming "a snip" means little money). If you're trying to stay in the under-$1,000 range your best bet is probably one of the older cameras like a Kodak 2D or Korona or something like that (as opposed to say an 8x10 Deardorff, Canham, Chamonix, Shen Hao, Tachihara, etc.). The movements will be limited but if you're doing landscape work (my guess since you're asking about field cameras) you may not need a lot of movements. If you could go up to maybe $1,500+ a Tachihara or Shen Hao might be doable.

If you're willing to put up with the weight, bulk, and general inconvenience of a monorail in the field there are quite a few of those that go for a snip.

You'll get better, more useful, responses if you provide more information about your price range and type of photography you do.

Cheers Brian. I probably should have said I already have an 8x10 (a Cambo monorail) although the weight of the bugger has meant it has rarely seen light of day - I've been using it around the house pretty regularly lately, though. Ideally I'd like a lightweight-ish camera as my feet are my daily form of transport and it would be great to have an 8x10 that is at least semi-portable. I tend to shoot most urban locations - old buildings, trees in local parks, etc. and no, I don't tend to use a lot of movements. I'll go see what Tachihara and Shen Hao have in the 8x10 range and see if my cash will stretch that far.

Thanks!

Walter Calahan
17-Dec-2012, 08:45
I enjoy my KB Canham, but there are so many excellent 8x10 field cameras out there.

Drew Bedo
17-Dec-2012, 09:35
Get into LF for as little as you can and shoot away. You will soon decide that you either want out—or want more. Ok, then you will know more about what you want in a camera and what models will get you there. m There is no one best camera for anyone and our needs and wants will change as we evolve as LF photographers.

Go to e-bay and get a Kodak 2-D, Century Korona or Burk and James in the best shape you can find for as little as you can pay. Get a new Canham, Chamonex or Deardorff etc later.

Alan Gales
17-Dec-2012, 10:40
I paid $1,500.00 for my used Wehman. I have seen others sell for that price but they don't come up for sale often. Wehman's are lightweight field cameras that fold up into a protective clam shell. Google Wehman Cameras for the Wehman website if you are interested. Unfortunately the Wehman is no longer being made but Bruce still services them.

RawheaD
17-Dec-2012, 18:38
That Wehman is one cool field cam :D I'm kinda sorta testing the 8x10 waters now and may be in the same situation as the OP soon so I'm curious too!

Noah B
18-Dec-2012, 05:42
+1 on the 2D

When I started out with 8x10 that was the camera I used and I enjoyed it, but eventually I upgraded to a Deardorff. I just wanted to use more movements but if you don't need any of them an older field camera will suit you fine!

Bruce Barlow
18-Dec-2012, 05:58
Richard Ritter's 8x10 weighs 6 pounds sans lens, and is a joy to use.

Miguel Coquis
18-Dec-2012, 06:08
Got a view camera from RR last year, and still believe it is possible to work with.

Jonathan Barlow
18-Dec-2012, 15:06
I have an all-metal Canham 8x10 and a Deardorff 8x10 (1952 military V8). Very different cameras, but both a lot of fun to use. I also have a Sinar P2 8x10 that doesn't leave the house.

Ari
18-Dec-2012, 20:17
Welly, once you're ready to buy something, and it should be anything, put a WTB stating your intended use and budget.
I did that, and ended up with something I would probably not have considered, and one that was within my budget, leaving room for a lens, film holders and film.
It's best not to overthink your first purchase in a different format, as you may be pleasantly surprised.
If it doesn't work out, you've learned more precisely what you need next camera.

John O'Connell
18-Dec-2012, 20:39
There are no 8x10s that no one knows about. As far as going for a snip, the Calumet C1, the Ansco, and the Century Universal all leap to mind--at least I can say that I've seen them for prices I'd consider reasonable for what they are.

In 8x10, the imponderables are cost, bellows length, and to a lesser extent, weight. You can't pay more than you can pay, focus a long lens on a short camera, or carry something that's too heavy. Everything else isn't a very big deal, unless you know you need a movement not offered on some cameras (Kodak 2D & Deardorff NFS, for example).

dperez
19-Dec-2012, 08:42
Save your money and get a Chamonix or other lightweight camera. They do come up on the used market every so often, so keep an eye out for one or post a WTB in the For Sale section of this forum. Chamonix 8x10 cameras are actually priced rather competitively when compared to other camera makes. They are very light and rigid.

-DP

Miguel Coquis
19-Dec-2012, 10:59
Check with people doing cameras and that can answer to individual requests, it is interesting to see there are few craftsman still doing the job !
http://www.argentumcamera.com/
http://donchev-cameras.blogspot.fr/
http://www.guillorycameras.com/
http://www.lg4mat.net/index.html
etc. etc. etc.

Jonathan Barlow
19-Dec-2012, 11:57

Donchev.

A field camera with all-geared movements. Now that is an interesting design!

Miguel Coquis
19-Dec-2012, 12:11

Donchev.

A field camera with all-geared movements. Now that is an interesting design!

My advise would be to check each, and consider similitudes and differences.
Ask questions directly, open communication with.
Thats a first step.
Each camera maker must posses a strong and a week side....