PDA

View Full Version : Kentmere Kentona

mdm
17-Dec-2012, 00:07
I got some 8x10 Kentmere Kentona cheaply to fix out for a final support for carbon prints, but wonder if it might be worthwhile trying some siver gelatine contacts with it instead. What do you know about Kentmere Kentona?

Jan Pedersen
17-Dec-2012, 18:42
Kentona was a nice paper with a slightly warm tone. It was very prone to flaking at the edges if washed for to long or in warm water. Emulsion will start to come off if you leave in the print washer for much more than 30 - 40 minutes.
Be careful when you wipe excessive water off before drying, always from the center and out.

mdm
17-Dec-2012, 18:51
Thanks for that.

Cor
18-Dec-2012, 07:30
Kentmere Kentone is also prone to (extensive) fogging by age, even frozen at -20degC, the first paper I came across who does that.

I would advice to take 2 snips; run one through Developer, stop and fix, and fix one right away: that should tell.

Even when fogged it is still an excellent paper for Lith printing.

Best,

Cor

bob carnie
18-Dec-2012, 08:30
Kentona in Lith will give you very peachy toned prints and for some images quite striking, I used this paper for a few projects and really liked it.

mdm
18-Dec-2012, 13:25
I will give lith a try one day. As a child I was totally enamoured of some lith prints of zebra in a photo magazine, I still remember them to this day. Anyway, I dont have much to loose, it wasnt very expensive.

j.e.simmons
18-Dec-2012, 15:43
I used Kentona and liked it a lot. I live in Florida and had trouble with yellowing in the heat. I solved the problem by adding KBr and Benzotriazole to Michael A. Smith's amidol developer.