PDA

View Full Version : Copal 3: quirk or repair?

Ari
16-Dec-2012, 20:36
Hi,
I just received my first-ever Copal 3 shutter, speeds sound good.
I'm unfamiliar with these, so bear with me, please.

When I cock the shutter, it works fine, and fires at the appropriate speed.
However, if I engage the diaphragm lever (before I cock the shutter), and then close the diaphragm, the shutter cocking lever gets stuck and won't cock the shutter.
With some gentle jiggling of the shutter release button and cocking lever, I can again cock the shutter, but once I use the diaphragm lever, the shutter-cocking lever gets re-stuck.

Conversely, I can cock the shutter, then open the diaphragm, close it, fire the shutter, and that works fine.
But I don't know if that's the way a Copal 3 is supposed to work, or if I've got to send it in for repair.

To sum up, does the shutter need to be cocked first in order to open the diaphragm (like a Seiko shutter)?

I hope all that makes sense.

Thanks

JimL
16-Dec-2012, 21:42
I have an older as well as a newer Copal 3, and they're both as you describe...

Ari
16-Dec-2012, 21:54
Thanks, Jim; mine is the older version, with the silver ring.

Erik Larsen
16-Dec-2012, 21:58
My 2 do not care if the shutter is cocked or not to use the preview lever. I have a newer and an older style shutter. The preview lever works either cocked or not. Just my experience.
Erik

JimL
16-Dec-2012, 22:28
My 2 do not care if the shutter is cocked or not to use the preview lever. I have a newer and an older style shutter. The preview lever works either cocked or not. Just my experience.
Erik

I think what Ari was pointing out is that, whether the shutter is cocked or not, when the preview lever is on the shutter "open" position, the cocking lever is locked. Or have I got that wrong?

tgtaylor
16-Dec-2012, 22:38
I think what Ari was pointing out is that, whether the shutter is cocked or not, when the preview lever is on the shutter "open" position, the cocking lever is locked. Or have I got that wrong?

Yes you got that wrong. But you are correct in stating that "...when the preview lever is on the shutter "open" position, the cocking lever is locked..."

Thomas

Ari
17-Dec-2012, 12:25

Correct, Jim, you are wrong :)
As it is now, the shutter lever must be cocked first before I can open the diaphragm.
If I open the diaphragm first, then close it (as if I was using it) and then try to cock the shutter, the lever won't budge without some "encouragement".
I suspect that this is not normal, but at least I can use the shutter as-is; I'll send it off for repair in the new year, since these things usually get worse on their own.

Jim Andrada
17-Dec-2012, 22:02
The part about getting stuck doesn't sound right, but my older (bought new in around 1970) shutters had to be cocked for the preview gizmo to work. I always thought it was normal.

Leigh
17-Dec-2012, 22:51
If you engage the preview with the shutter fired, you cannot cock the shutter.

That's the way my late models work (sitting here playing with one as I speak). :D

- Leigh

mike rosenlof
20-Dec-2012, 12:18
I have a no. 3 obtained new in about 2000. Message #9 matches my shutter. I can open the preview with the shutter either cocked or not, but can't cock the shutter while the preview is open.