PDA

View Full Version : Talk about bidding frenzy . Check this out.

Louis Pacilla
16-Dec-2012, 14:41
I can hardly believe this auction:eek: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kodak-2-D-8-X-10-Wooden-Wood-View-Camera-Red-Bellows-Brass-Lens-2D-CLEAN-/150962631472?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item232612f330. What do you think? will this end in an unpaid item dispute and then it will be re-listed where it will sell for $600-$700 like it should? Don't get me wrong I hope the seller knocks it out of the park. Good for all but the buyer.:)

Oh Yea! I have no connection to the seller.

Lachlan 717
16-Dec-2012, 14:59
Compared to a beaten up, holed-bellows Deardorff sans any lens that sells for significantly more, I think this is (currently) a realistic price.

It is in outstanding condition, and it's from a reputable Seller. Oh, and it's "just add film and shoot". That, too, could be a factor to the Bidder(s).

I doubt, thought, that it's worth much more than it's currently at ($1,075).

Brian Ellis
16-Dec-2012, 15:15
Maybe I missed something, I just skimmed the listing. But the only thing a little unusual I noticed is that there seem to be 3 or 4 people bidding who don't know how to bid on ebay. The price right now would be a good deal for the buyer if the camera is in as good shape as it appears to be and if the lens is o.k. as the seller indicates it is. $1,100 for a mint 2D even without the lens wouldn't be a bad price, I think I sold mine for about that without a lens though mine had been modified to add front tilt. $600-$700 for a 2D in this condition and with a decent lens would be a steal for somebody.

Jim Graves
16-Dec-2012, 15:37
It also comes with the sliding tripod block ... which in this condition adds about $125 to the deal.

Tracy Storer
17-Dec-2012, 09:51
Yep. Seems fair to me as well with the triple convertible Turner Reich, which are actually often rather good.

IanG
17-Dec-2012, 11:00
It's perhaps slightly more than some go for but still not unreasonable if you can live with no front tilt, and it's in greta condition.

Another point to remember is few cameras like this get sold outside the US/'Canada and when they do prices tend to be considerably higher so often those of us wanting 10x8 cameras may be prepared to pay slightly more than US buyers.

Ian

goamules
17-Dec-2012, 13:35
Well I've bought several 2Ds, Senecas, and Empires for about 1/5th that price. But maybe I try harder than most. I guarantee you, there will be 3-4 similar cameras sold in the next month for less than half. Here's one not quite in as good a shape, no block, but with a giant B&L IC Tessar and the beautiful golden mahogany that was on the early Centuries before Kodak bought them and started painting them "Barn Door Brown." It just sold for $250. 200864409118

IanG
17-Dec-2012, 15:30
There's a danger of not really comparing like for like or the condition and then the integrity of the seller. Some of the cameras mentioned are not as robust as others,

I can and do quite regularly buy LF cameras for very low prices (less than $100) and then with mostly a little work and quite low costs fully restore them, but that's quite different to getting cameras like this in very good condition.

As has been pointed out earlier some of these cameras are far better built than others, probably the best of all of these US style cameras were the Agfa Ansco's but the Kodak 2D isn't very far behind at all, compared to a Deardorff they are leagues ahead in terms of stability. There was nothing similar made in Europe, these are like souped up British & German (& European) tailboard cameras.

Ian

Roger Thoms
17-Dec-2012, 16:05
Way to rich for my blood, I would consider that top dollar, and would say the seller did quite well. It does look like a very clean camera. My recent 810 2D purchase was also very clean with ext. rail, 2 tripod blocks, 2film holders, and lens was little under half of what this camera sold for. I spent several monthes looking for mine, here on LFPF, on Ebay, and on Craigslist, and finely found one one craigslist. So the deals are out there if you are patient, also a little luck helps.

Roger

goamules
17-Dec-2012, 16:45
Ian, I agree the early 20th century cameras were robust, they have to be to still be used! We should remember that Kodak bought a lot of competitors out, and merged with several of the better camera makers, as stated on some of their labels "...Version of the Empire State and Century Improved..." The Century No. 2 was a beautiful camera with French Polished (appearing) Lacquer, AAA quality Mahogany, and heavy brass brightwork. They were so good Kodak bought them to avoid competition. The movements and tightening mechanisms on all of these are largely the same. The difference between the earlier ones and the Kodak 2Ds is better fit and finish on the former. They work the same. I've looked at the later ANSCOs and Gundlach Koronas which also work very well, and sometimes have more movements. But their wood is not as nice.

David Lobato
17-Dec-2012, 18:17
I think a factor was the generous amount of fairly decent pictures the seller put in. Nice views of the camera from many different angles.

Brian Ellis
17-Dec-2012, 19:25
Well I've bought several 2Ds, Senecas, and Empires for about 1/5th that price. But maybe I try harder than most. I guarantee you, there will be 3-4 similar cameras sold in the next month for less than half. Here's one not quite in as good a shape, no block, but with a giant B&L IC Tessar and the beautiful golden mahogany that was on the early Centuries before Kodak bought them and started painting them "Barn Door Brown." It just sold for $250. 200864409118

I looked at that one. It needed a new bellows - for an 8x10 bellows add $300 or so to the purchase price. It's described as in "user" condition. It's missing the rear extension rail so the maximum bellows draw is only 15" which is way too short for an 8x10 camera (would you want a 4x5 camera with only 7 1/2 inches of bellows extension?) That camera is a different animal entirely from the 2D that's under discussion. I wouldn't have paid $250 for it.

Jim Graves
17-Dec-2012, 21:17
I would agree that the price is a little high ... but not out of range.

As Ian pointed out ... not all markets are equal. Not all buyers really have the access to something like large photo stores, photo swap meets, or even Craig's List (which works well for metropolitan areas but not for rural buyers.) So when you see one like this that is complete, original, and in great condition it is worth more ... especially to those buyers in limited markets.

maurits
18-Dec-2012, 11:10
I agree with Ian and Jim.

For someone from Europe, looking for a sturdy vintage 8x10 camera this is really not an unrealistic price.

I once put my 2D on my table at a Dutch camera show. More as a show piece and table filler rather than that I wanted it to go. So I put a crazy tag on it to be sure the 2D did not sell. €1,400! Then one guy offered me €1,100 and half an hour later another guy offered € 1,250. That was without a lens. Scared that a third buyer would appear, I removed the price tag and labeled the 2D "Not for Sale - my personal camera".

Next time one of you crosses the Atlantic, bring a suitcase full of 2D's and Empires. They might pay for better hotels and restaurants. :-)

Maurits

IanG
18-Dec-2012, 12:10
Taking Maurits comments a bit further you should see the prices cameras like this fetch in countries like Turkey.

I'm sure any US members could almost pay for a holiday by buying in the US and selling this side of the Atlantic :D

Ian

goamules
18-Dec-2012, 12:22
I agree with Ian and Jim.

For someone from Europe, looking for a sturdy vintage 8x10 camera this is really not an unrealistic price.

I once put my 2D on my table at a Dutch camera show. More as a show piece and table filler rather than that I wanted it to go. So I put a crazy tag on it to be sure the 2D did not sell. €1,400! Then one guy offered me €1,100 and half an hour later another guy offered € 1,250. That was without a lens. Scared that a third buyer would appear, I removed the price tag and labeled the 2D "Not for Sale - my personal camera".

Next time one of you crosses the Atlantic, bring a suitcase full of 2D's and Empires. They might pay for better hotels and restaurants. :-)

Maurits

That sounds like a plan next time I got to Europe I may bring a few! Last time I thought about buying another very cheap (in the US) camera, The Argus c3, that I could fit dozens in my suitcase. But I didn't research it enough to mess with it, plus shipping tiny 35mms to the EU is pretty easy, not so with giant 2Ds.

I think you saw me trying to sell that large wooden French camera that time at Quinn's wetplate booth, Maurits. I couldn't get a bite at 250 Euros, so I brought it to the US and sold it for about $500 here! The grass is always greener on the other side.

Jim Galli
18-Dec-2012, 12:49
I'm with Louis. I knew my old Kodak would be worth something if I kept it long enough. I expected this to sell for 650 bucks. No, not mine. If it were mine, it would have finished at 550 bucks. :(

maurits
18-Dec-2012, 14:38
Hey Garrett, yep I was a first hand witness! Saw you buy it and heroically trying to sell it there too. The classic "fabulous-lens-but-what-on-earth-to-with-that-huge-wooden-contraption-attached-to-it" problem. ;) Good move though to bring the camera with you to the USA.

The best story ever about selling an orphaned camera was with Eddie. But that is for another time.

I do not know about 35mm cameras. We have many of those. But bringing Europeans American 8x10 cameras, many bottles of Sandy's Pyrocat HD, pre-cut sheets of Trophy Aluminum, Betterscanning film holders, BTZS-tubes, etc. etc. would get you a long way traveling for free through our continent.

cosmicexplosion
19-Dec-2012, 13:36
Maybe I missed something, I just skimmed the listing. But the only thing a little unusual I noticed is that there seem to be 3 or 4 people bidding who don't know how to bid on ebay. The price right now would be a good deal for the buyer if the camera is in as good shape as it appears to be and if the lens is o.k. as the seller indicates it is. $1,100 for a mint 2D even without the lens wouldn't be a bad price, I think I sold mine for about that without a lens though mine had been modified to add front tilt. $600-$700 for a 2D in this condition and with a decent lens would be a steal for somebody.

Hi Brian
Got any tips on how to add front tilt
Some pics maybe
I might have a crack at my 2d
Cheers
Andrew

dap
19-Dec-2012, 14:57
Hi Brian
Some pics maybe
Cheers
Andrew

I have an old wooden Kodak commercial camera with a factory lens board adapter that allows for tilt (think of two lensboards one on top of eachother spaced a couple inches apart that are connected by a hinge with a bellows between them. The nice thing about it is that if you make one you wouldn't have to modify your front standard at all. If you are interested I can post a picture of it for you.

Brian Ellis
19-Dec-2012, 15:43
Hi Brian
Some pics maybe
Cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew - I didn't add front tilt myself, Richard Ritter added it for me. You might want to contact him. IIRC he charged around $250 and did an excellent job. I no longer have the camera so I can't give you any pictures.

Jim Galli
19-Dec-2012, 15:47
I have an old wooden Kodak commercial camera with a factory lens board adapter that allows for tilt (think of two lensboards one on top of eachother spaced a couple inches apart that are connected by a hinge with a bellows between them. The nice thing about it is that if you make one you wouldn't have to modify your front standard at all. If you are interested I can post a picture of it for you.

This is actually a good solution because the beauty of the 2D is being sturdy enough to put a heavy 15" petzval on and the old girl can take it. If you do the mod I've seen for front swings, you won't be able to put that kind of weight up front any more.

IanG
22-Dec-2012, 12:33
Hi Brian
Some pics maybe
Cheers
Andrew

It's quite easy and also low cost to make a high quality front tilt. It's on my list to do in the next month or so for my second Agfa Ansco 10x8. You need some basic wood-working skills and also be able to make a small set of bellows, but it sounds harder than it is :D

Ian

cosmicexplosion
24-Dec-2012, 15:17
Going to start a 2d mod post
Cheers
A