PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Lens Cleaning Tissue

D. Bryant
16-Dec-2012, 10:49
Hello Folks,

For decades I've been using Kodak lens cleaning tissues (Kodak lens cleaning paper) but sadly my stash will soon be exhausted.

I've read on dpreview that Tiffen sells the identical product now, though I'm not sure that is correct.

What do folks recommend as an equivalent replacement for KLCP?

Thanks,

Don

Gem Singer
16-Dec-2012, 10:58
A microfiber cloth designed for cleaning lenses.

D. Bryant
16-Dec-2012, 11:15
A microfiber cloth designed for cleaning lenses.

I was waiting for micro fiber suggestion - thanks, but my question was about lens cleaning tissue.

Don

Gem Singer
16-Dec-2012, 11:22
Don,

You stated that you have been using KLCT for decades and it's no longer available.

You asked what folks recommend as a replacement.

I stated my recommendation.

Time to move up to 21st century materials.

Daniel Stone
16-Dec-2012, 11:27
I *had* a stash of Kodak's lens cleaning paper myself, which I exhausted unfortunately. A good friend of mine recommended that I try cotton balls, using in conjunction with 91%(minimum) isopropyl alcohol as the cleaning agent(if you need to get it wet).

Well I've been using this combination for almost a year now, and its worked very well. The cotton balls are disposable(so no picking up dust over extended amounts of time like microfiber cloths do, at least in my experience) and usually I can just use (1) to clean a lens effectively.

I use the above method in conjunction with a Giottos "Rocket Blower" to blow away any cotton fibers left after cleaning. 95% of the time, results are pretty much spotless :)

-Dan

C. D. Keth
16-Dec-2012, 11:35
Kimwipes and pancro.

Oren Grad
16-Dec-2012, 11:35
I have a two packets sitting beside me as I write this. One of them is labeled "Kodak lens cleaning paper" on the front, while the back says "Kodak licensed product" and "Made in the USA by The Tiffen Company". The other is labeled "Tiffen lens cleaning paper" on the front, and the back says "Made in the USA by The Tiffen Company".

Other than the color of the outer sleeve being different (gray vs yellow) and the labeling being slightly changed, these appear to be the same product and packaging. So if you've been satisfied with the Kodak product, my first suggestion would be to try the Tiffen-labeled version.

D. Bryant
16-Dec-2012, 11:41
I have a two packets sitting beside me as I write this. One of them is labeled "Kodak lens cleaning paper" on the front, while the back says "Kodak licensed product" and "Made in the USA by The Tiffen Company". The other is labeled "Tiffen lens cleaning paper" on the front, and the back says "Made in the USA by The Tiffen Company".

Other than the color of the outer sleeve being different (gray vs yellow) and the labeling being slightly changed, these appear to be the same product and packaging. So if you've been satisfied with the Kodak product, my first suggestion would be to try the Tiffen-labeled version.

Thanks Oren. Your observations about source of manufacturer echo others experiences regarding Tiffen though my remaining stock of KLCP is labeled made by EK.

I just placed 10 packs of the Tiffen product in my Amazon cart.

Don

D. Bryant
16-Dec-2012, 11:43
Don,

You stated that you have been using KLCT for decades and it's no longer available.

You asked what folks recommend as a replacement.

I stated my recommendation.

Time to move up to 21st century materials.

Since the micro-fiber clothes aren't regarded as disposable I don't feel they are a replacement for KLCP.

Don

Oren Grad
16-Dec-2012, 11:53
Thanks Oren. Your observations about source of manufacturer echo others experiences regarding Tiffen though my remaining stock of KLCP is labeled made by EK.

It's certainly possible that the product changed between when it was labeled "made by EK" and when it became a licensed product. I've been using the stuff for decades myself and haven't noticed anything, but I could easily have overlooked subtle incremental changes since I've been buying one or two packets at a time on an ongoing basis. To be on the safe side you might try just a packet or two initially to verify that it's still OK for you.

Gem Singer
16-Dec-2012, 11:54
For the sake of those folks that do not want to use disposable lens tissue to clean their lenses.

Breath moisture on the lens and carefully wipe it off with a clean microfiber cloth. Can be used over and over.

Wash the cloth occasionally in warm water with a mild cleaning agent (Woolite).

Hang it to dry like a sheet of film. Keep the dry cloth stored in a plastic bag (Ziploc) when not being used.

Mark Sawyer
16-Dec-2012, 12:06
Micro-fiber cloths are nice when brand new, but I use them once or twice and retire them to the computer screen.

Kimwipes and pancro.

There's a dispute over using Kimwipes on camera lenses, with knowledgeable people on both sides. Schneider recommends them for their multi-coated filters, so I figure they're at least okay for uncoated glass, which is what I've used them for for years with no problems. There are several types of Kimwipes available. You'd want the Kimtech Science Delicate Task Wipers.

Mostly I don't clean my lenses unless necessary, which is very, very seldom.

Steve Goldstein
16-Dec-2012, 12:46
The combination of Rosco Lens Tissue (available from Filmtools) and Pancro cleaning fluid is the best I've found.

C. D. Keth
16-Dec-2012, 13:18
There's a dispute over using Kimwipes on camera lenses, with knowledgeable people on both sides. Schneider recommends them for their multi-coated filters, so I figure they're at least okay for uncoated glass, which is what I've used them for for years with no problems. There are several types of Kimwipes available. You'd want the Kimtech Science Delicate Task Wipers.

Mostly I don't clean my lenses unless necessary, which is very, very seldom.

I use kimwipes because I don't know a lens technician at a motion picture rental house who doesn't use kimwipes and pancro. They trust lenses of extreme value (master primes cost around $400,000 a set, an angenieux 12:1 zoom costs around $100k, cooke S4s are $25k a lens with 18 lenses to a set, lightweight zooms tend to run around $50k each) to kimwipes and pancro so they're more than good enough for my little stash. The thing that will damage lenses faster than any other is poor cleaning technique, not the materials you use.

As you say, the best way is to clean only when you have to. I can't even remember when I cleaned one of my lenses with fluid. Dust-off and/or a brush is usually enough.

lenser
16-Dec-2012, 13:52
I just bought a packet of the Tiffen tissue from an ebay seller in Asia to confirm that it is the same as the Kodak. It does appear to be identical to the old Kodak tissue which was BY FAR the best lens cleaning tissue I've used in over forty years of experience. Now I wish I could find the old Kodak lens cleaning liquid as every product I've found in the last five years either leaves a film on the glass or streaks like crazy.

Kevin Crisp
16-Dec-2012, 14:37
Try Berkshire Lensx 90 tissues, they come in packs of 1000. Every bit as good as the Kodak ones. I got a couple packs of them on Ebay years ago and I think I'm down to my last 700 sheets.....

Roger Thoms
16-Dec-2012, 15:51
The combination of Rosco Lens Tissue (available from Filmtools) and Pancro cleaning fluid is the best I've found.

I was going to recommend the Rosco Len Tissue, but Steve beat me to it. I'll have to give the Pancro Fluid a try.

Roger

Kevin Crisp
16-Dec-2012, 16:08
I bought the Pancro fluid after reading about it here. It leaves a smeary residue for me, requiring a second breath-only cleaning. What am I doing wrong?

D. Bryant
16-Dec-2012, 16:58
Well FWIW, I mainly use them for cleaning my reading glasses. I don't often need to clean lens surfaces.

C. D. Keth
16-Dec-2012, 18:04
I bought the Pancro fluid after reading about it here. It leaves a smeary residue for me, requiring a second breath-only cleaning. What am I doing wrong?

First, use dust-off and a brush to remove any particulate. The first application of fluid on a tissue should be worked in a rolling motion to pick up stuff on the lens surface without rubbing it around on the lens. The second application of fluid to a tissue is rubbed in circles until it is all dry. If you do this right, there won't be anything but a few fibers from the tissue left and those come off with dust-off.

Adamphotoman
17-Dec-2012, 01:14
I believe that the Tiffen tissue is the same as the Kodak. As for cleaner I use cleaner designed for multicoated eyeglasses. Works perfect at a small cost.

Dan Dozer
19-Dec-2012, 08:51
I've used PEC pads for years and I like them much better than Kodak lens cleaning tissue.

Bernice Loui
19-Dec-2012, 10:22
Cotton cosmetic pads with known quality lens cleaning solvent. Available from the local pharmacy or most any place where cosmetics are sold. Used these for decades with no problems. Make sure they are 100% real cotton.

Bernice

Drew Wiley
19-Dec-2012, 10:55
I stumbled onto some old paks of the Kodak tissue the other day cleaning out a desk drawer. I haven't used em in a couple of decades. By far the best lens cleaning item I've
discovered - and I mean by far - is the 3M version of microfiber lens cloth. It's different
from the others. I've never seen em in a camera store. I'd be embarassed to state how
little I pay for them, but I've got a direct 3M account. Retail they're probably three or
four bucks apiece, but I'm guessing. You gotta try em. You rarely need additional liquid.

D. Bryant
30-Dec-2012, 22:58
I have to thank a forum member who kindly sold me 20 packs of Kodak lens cleaning tissue; marked on the reverse as being manufactured by EK.

I can now sleep at night! :)

I'll also look for some of the 3M microfiber lens cleaning cloths. They sound very useful.

Don

hiend61
3-Jan-2013, 17:25
I just bought a packet of the Tiffen tissue from an ebay seller in Asia to confirm that it is the same as the Kodak. It does appear to be identical to the old Kodak tissue which was BY FAR the best lens cleaning tissue I've used in over forty years of experience. Now I wish I could find the old Kodak lens cleaning liquid as every product I've found in the last five years either leaves a film on the glass or streaks like crazy.

Try Zeiss lens cleaning liquid. It works well for me with Tiffen tissue.

D. Bryant
3-Jan-2013, 18:50
Try Zeiss lens cleaning liquid. It works well for me with Tiffen tissue.
+1 for the Zeiss lens cleaning fluid, just put it on the tissue not the glass. Fogging the glass with your breath is also an option.

mikebarger
3-Jan-2013, 18:54
Thank goodness I still have a large stash of the Kodak product. :)