PDA

View Full Version : Dropped my dagor not working :(

cosmicexplosion
15-Dec-2012, 16:29
So after 59 years of use I finally drop it taking out my 2d from bag
The lens board was lose.

It now does not open or close shutter.
Small ding on left of lens.

Are these things DIY or should I send it off. ?

Any dagor mechanics out there. ?

Cheers

Andrew.

cosmicexplosion
15-Dec-2012, 16:33
Whoops I mean ilex mechanics : )

lenser
15-Dec-2012, 16:49
If it is locked up due to a blow, I would bet this is no DYI project. I'm suggesting the great Carol Miller at Flutotscamerarepair.com. She is a genius with older shutters and while her schedule forces her to have a waiting list, it is well worth your patience. By the way, she's worked on two Ilex shutters for me with outstanding results.

CP Goerz
15-Dec-2012, 18:29
One more vote for Carol.

Ari
15-Dec-2012, 19:18
Andrew, if you can't afford the wait for Flutot's, and options in Oz are scarce, Roger at Camtech here in Canada does excellent work, and turnaround time is quick.
I usually pay about $75 for CLA, plus shipping costs.
His email is camtechphoto(AT)gmail.com

cosmicexplosion
17-Dec-2012, 00:44
Thanks

I took it apart tiny bit by tiny bit

And you guessed it.

It's sitting in a nice little complicated heap
Like the handy work of a four year old with a screwdriver!

Ha
Oh well at least I have had the privilege of seeing how it all works

Wonderful things.

Lachlan 717
17-Dec-2012, 00:51
Might be cheaper to look out for a Sinar shutter and keep it as a "modern barrel". (There's one on Oz eBay at the moment; no connection).

cosmicexplosion
17-Dec-2012, 00:58
I dream of sinar shutters but always have something else like my car that just rolled down the hill that screams feed me feed me.

I need to start selling some art.
Get a return on investments.

So if any one wants a painting for Christmas let me know.

A

Lachlan 717
17-Dec-2012, 01:10

A

What's your website again?

welly
17-Dec-2012, 04:16
I dream of sinar shutters but always have something else like my car that just rolled down the hill that screams feed me feed me.

I need to start selling some art.
Get a return on investments.

A

Do you do walls?

Leonard Robertson
17-Dec-2012, 08:27
If you want to spend time searching the internet, you can probably find information enough to clean and re-assemble your Ilex, unless something is actually broken. This site:http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php has a bit of Ilex information. The Classic Camera Repair Forum http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi may have some Ilex info also.

The fact that the shutter was not working before you took it apart is probably good reason to send it to someone. They will know what is bent when they see it and you or I won't have a clue. Sending your bags of parts to one of the trained professional shutter repair folks mentioned above should be fine. Probably not the first shutter they have had come to them in pieces. It certainly seems there should be someone in Oz who can do this work, saving you considerable time and postage cost, but I don't know of anyone myself. Maybe do a Google search specific to Oz shutter repair. If you do mail to USA or Canada, there shouldn't be any reason to include the heavy lens cells. Just sent the shutter parts. I don't know the age or focal length of your Dagor, but I can't imagine it isn't worth spending the money to have the shutter fixed.

Len

Photomagica
17-Dec-2012, 13:46
Andrew,
Ilex shutters are pretty simple and should not slow down a shutter technician even if they arrive as a bag of parts. I've seen a number of shutters come in that way. Have the technician check the shutter and lens for evidence of decentering due to the blow that dinged the lens and disordered the shutter and correct this if necessary. I doubt decentering will be a problem, but a well set up lens shop can check a shutter for lack of concentricity and parallelism - the main sources of decentering - in a few minutes.
A Dagor of any vintage in an Ilex is a nice set-up. Hope you get it going again.
Cheers,
Bill

Miguel Coquis
18-Dec-2012, 01:47
One more vote for Carol.
It would be long because of both planetary situation.
She has repaired several oldies (ilex, compounds...) and send them back to France for me, always without surprise.
If you count on your Ilex, Carol is guaranteed.
Best of lucks in the way to 2013.
MAC

cosmicexplosion
18-Dec-2012, 02:38
Do you do walls?

Hi welly I used to do a lot of walls in my spray can days.

There is no reason I could not

What are you thinking!

- lachlan my site is down due to non payment. :(

Your right I should get it back up.

I am pumping out some great landscapes at the moment.

Desert ranges with massive sky's in layers and layers of glazing.

If you think LF is expensive try oil paint
From $280 - $2000 liter

Ok so I use the best, but hey!