PDA

View Full Version : Advice on auction site purchase please! (Graflex)

Proteus617
15-Dec-2012, 14:55
Last week I picked up a Graphic View I with a graflock back on *bay. Original auction here. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAFLEX-GRAPHIC-VIEW-4x5-MONORAIL-FORMAT-CAMERA-Kodak-Ektar-f-6-3-100mm-lens-/281031412554?item=281031412554&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=WUNPcIilyC36bw16BYqEqiXJLsk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557) So I am in for around $180 shipped. The bad news: The tripod mount showed up snapped at the apex and with stress fractures around the knuckle. It was not pictured that way in the listing and the missing piece was not in the box. The good news: The 100mm wide field ektar looks pretty good. The supermatic sounds good but is slow to close. Looks to me like it's just gummed up a bit. Rectifying this is well within my capabilities. The ektar is mounted on a pacemaker board mounted in that neat pacemaker lensboard adapter. That adapter is very useful to a graflex nerd like myself. The bipost to pc cord looks good and would be great to power the focuspot on my crown. The camera itself is cosmetically ugly but functionally very nice. All movements are smooth with no slips. Would be a great user if not for that damned tripod mount.
I could return it but would rather ask the seller for a partial refund based on damage. I figure the ektar is worth $80-$120. The syn cord is worth $15. I never see a pacemaker adapter by itself so I have no idea how to value it. I also have no idea how to value the camera as a parts camera. The back alone would be great for anyone wanting to swap out the spring back on a Graphic I. Asking the seller for the $80-$100 that the tripod mount usually goes for seems unfair based on the value of the rest of the stuff. Any ideas? Anyone have an ugly mount they would like to sell?

Regards,
-Matthew

j.e.simmons
15-Dec-2012, 14:59
I'd ask for a partial refund, since you can use the rest of the stuff. A few years ago, there was a company that made a tripod mount - it was more like an adapter that went between the rail and a standard tripod mount. Maybe you can find who made that.

Steven Tribe
15-Dec-2012, 15:35
This looks like a good buy of a popular camera that looks very useable in every other way.
But let the seller know right away (informative rather than claiming deceit!). It could well have been overlooked.
I can't see (or imagine) the mounting item that is bust. You could place a wanted ad in the for sale section here.
You basically need a new 3/8" female thread "mount" in an aluminium rail support?

j.e.simmons
15-Dec-2012, 16:20
Here's what I was thinking about. I don't know if it is still available and the link on the page doesn't work.
http://bigcamera.com/articles/GraphicViewTripodFix.htm

Proteus617
15-Dec-2012, 16:49
Here's what I was thinking about. I don't know if it is still available and the link on the page doesn't work.
http://bigcamera.com/articles/GraphicViewTripodFix.htm

Thanks j.e. I've tried to track down the contact info and the best I've found is a phone#. I work in a cabinet shop so cobbling together the equivalent should not be too hard. I bet I have a chunk or rock-maple laying around.