PDA

View Full Version : Sticky bellows - how to solve it???

mortensen
15-Dec-2012, 11:59
I recently changed the bellows on my Technika V to an ecbuyonline PU-leather bellows. Nice product, folds into the body... but it remains sticky as hell!!
I have been in contact with Rudy from ecbuyonline, who apologized for the ill-working product and replaced it with a nylon bellows free of charge. Good service.

BUT, I would like to use the PU-bellows - its smooth, flexible and looks good. What are my options? I have pondered brushing it with a thin layer of talc and carefully removing any excess powder afterwards... but the idea of introducing a superfine grained powder into my camera (film...) sort of scares me. Has any of you succesfully 'fixed' a sticky bellows?

thanks in advance - I know I can count on you ;)

PS: the reason I have not changed to the nylon bellows right away is that - as you probably know - it is not that easy, nor fast to change bellows on a Tech.
PPS: short elaboration on the stickyness - when folded, the bellows become very compressed and when opening the camera and pulling out the front standard, the bellows makes cracky noises that sort of warns me that at some point, it will stick so much to itself that it will effectively disintegrate and leak. I have had the camera mounted open on my tripod for weeks in a vain hope that the glue would dry up... has not happened yet!

Ari
15-Dec-2012, 12:44
From what I can remember in previous posts, furniture polish might do the trick, but it would be good if someone who has done that could confirm it.
And yes, Rudy gives excellent customer service.

Ari
15-Dec-2012, 12:48
And this thread mentions using talc or baby powder.
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/19001-sticky-bellows.html

Rob Hale
15-Dec-2012, 13:27
Hi, I am using CRC "Dry Slide" to solve all sorts of "sticky" problems, it's a PTFE spray which is a sort of Teflon and makes "stuff" slide and might de-sticky your bellows. May be you could get a bit scrap leather to try it on ?

Regards

Rob.

mortensen
15-Dec-2012, 15:35
... furniture polish!?! well, probably worth a try. I would be a bit sceptic about anything on a spray - it would end up being everywhere, wouldn't it? But thanks, both of you.

... keep the suggestions coming! :D

Roger Thoms
15-Dec-2012, 15:40
I would try some Lexol leather cleaner followed by Lexol leather conditioner. I haven't actually tried the cleaner, but I have rejuvenated a couple of leather bellows with the conditioner. You can find Lexol products online and in auto parts stores. I also might try some 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean the leather, followed by the conditioner. What ever you try it's probably best to try a small area first.

Roger

Steven Tribe
15-Dec-2012, 15:54
The big question is whether this is endemic to the Poly Urethane or is a result of some other material which is part of the production process, which is deposited on the surface - or gradually seeps up to the surface?

I would find a solvent ( acetone, perhaps) and do a check on perhaps 1 sq cm on a hidden place. Check "stickyness" before before and after cleaning the surface in this spot. If no change, switch to nylon, if "stickyness" is reduced - try a larger area and so on.

mortensen
16-Dec-2012, 01:43
The big question is whether this is endemic to the Poly Urethane or is a result of some other material which is part of the production process, which is deposited on the surface - or gradually seeps up to the surface?

- good point, Steven. I literally see thin threads of glue between the pleats when pulling out the front standard. I would personally conclude, that the glue used to laminate cloth and PU-leather somehow stays 'undry' (flexible/'wet'/liquid/whatever)... hmm, would this render the talc trick useless?

Steven Tribe
16-Dec-2012, 02:57
Talcum would work - it is the classic treatment for real rubber surfaces - but will leave an ugly finish.
This is probably a contact glue, and these retain stickness for a long time. Acetone is the solvent used in the tubes of glue I have looked at.
But "mechanical" removal of excess glue is usually recommended!

mortensen
16-Dec-2012, 03:48
But "mechanical" removal of excess glue is usually recommended!

... but that does not seem to be an option in my case, right? I will try Talcum - it should not leave the that ugly a finish, I think, if all excess talc is removed carefully, that is

wallrat
16-Dec-2012, 11:06
My Tachihara was like this. I used Pledge furniture polish spray. You don't spray it on directly, instead spray it on a microfiber cloth and rub it on. Let it dry open for a week or so and you should see a major difference. The light oils in polish are good for preventing the leather from drying out. I had to do this a total of three times. Over a year has passed and it still doesn't stick!

-Bill

mortensen
16-Dec-2012, 14:36
I just brushed a thin thin layer of talcum on the bellows... seems to work quite alright - and actually, I don't find the dusty look bad - it sort of underlines the german weaponry quality of a Linhof :D
well, have to give at least until next morning and see if it remains unsticky when opened...

Steven Tribe
16-Dec-2012, 15:35
You may have to repeat the exercise a few times.
And then perhaps every 5 years!

mortensen
17-Dec-2012, 01:21
yep, it seems so - still a few cracking/sticky sounds and a couple of thin threads of glue this morning... back with the brush tonite!