PDA

View Full Version : Replacing GG on Linhof Technikardan 45

Ari
15-Dec-2012, 09:35
Hi,
I didn't like the original GG that came with my TK45, so I swapped it out for a Yanke screen, which gave me great results in the past.
As I'm putting up my Wista for sale, I'm reminded of how fantastic the GG on it is.
It is the GG/fresnel in one (one piece), covered by a plain glass overlay, and it is the best I've ever used.
Sadly, I can't use it on the TK45 as the Wista screen is a tad smaller.

IIRC, the Linhof needs a 101mm x 125mm screen.
My question is, are there any screens like the Wista's that are this size that would fit on the TK45?

Thanks in advance.

ps: not interested in a Bosscreen (too dark) or a Beattie (too expensive).

Ari
16-Dec-2012, 07:42
Anyone?

Bob Salomon
16-Dec-2012, 08:51
Hi,
I didn't like the original GG that came with my TK45, so I swapped it out for a Yanke screen, which gave me great results in the past.
As I'm putting up my Wista for sale, I'm reminded of how fantastic the GG on it is.
It is the GG/fresnel in one (one piece), covered by a plain glass overlay, and it is the best I've ever used.

IIRC, the Linhof needs a 101mm x 125mm screen.
My question is, are there any screens like the Wista's that are this size that would fit on the TK45?

Thanks in advance.

ps: not interested in a Bosscreen (too dark) or a Beattie (too expensive).

How old is your TK?

Newer Linhof screens are much brighter then old ones. And the TK has been around long enough that yours may have an older Linhof screen. Same for Linhof Fresnel screens.

Brian Ellis
16-Dec-2012, 08:54
I don't know anything about Wista screens and you don't say exactly what it is you like about them as compared with other screens. But FWIW, and since no one else has responded, I've used many different screens for LF cameras including BosScreens, Beattie screens, OE screens on Ebony, Tachihara, and Deardorff cameras, Maxwell screens, the plain ground glass that was on my Technikardan when I bought it, and Linhof Bright Screens (or whatever exactly they were called). The best by a fairly wide margin was the Maxwell screen I used on my Master Technika. By "best" I mean it was very bright, had almost no light fall-off at the edges even with my 80mm lens, and was easier to focus than other Fresnels. Unfortunately if the Beattie screens are too expensive for you the Maxwell screens likely will be too.

If you type "screens" in the search function here you'll find more information than you could possibly want to know about screens for LF cameras.

Ari
16-Dec-2012, 12:02
How old is your TK?

Newer Linhof screens are much brighter then old ones. And the TK has been around long enough that yours may have an older Linhof screen. Same for Linhof Fresnel screens.

Hi Bob, thanks for answering.
I don't know the age of the camera, the serial number is 9851129.
I will have a look at some newer Linhof screens, but I replaced the original Linhof screen when I got the camera (bought it off a forum member).
I find that as brilliant as their cameras are, Linhof drops the ball on two minor, but important aspects of function: the screens and the folding hood covering the screen.
All of my Linhof hoods were not very effective at blocking out stray light, and the leather folds got worn down pretty easily.

I don't know anything about Wista screens and you don't say exactly what it is you like about them as compared with other screens. But FWIW, and since no one else has responded, I've used many different screens for LF cameras including BosScreens, Beattie screens, OE screens on Ebony, Tachihara, and Deardorff cameras, Maxwell screens, the plain ground glass that was on my Technikardan when I bought it, and Linhof Bright Screens (or whatever exactly they were called). The best by a fairly wide margin was the Maxwell screen I used on my Master Technika. By "best" I mean it was very bright, had almost no light fall-off at the edges even with my 80mm lens, and was easier to focus than other Fresnels. Unfortunately if the Beattie screens are too expensive for you the Maxwell screens likely will be too.

If you type "screens" in the search function here you'll find more information than you could possibly want to know about screens for LF cameras.

Brian, thanks as well for answering.

I am asking about this type of screen because I'm more concerned about quick composition in the field than critical focusing.

The Wista screen is an acrylic GG/fresnel-in-one; it is very bright from all angles, and with all manner of lenses.
The plain glass overlay adds some brightness and evenness as well, without giving off too much reflection, which I find is the main problem with the Yanke screen.
It is the same type of idea as the Wista, only much thinner.

I also found that the Tachihara screens are the one-piece acrylic type, but I'm having trouble finding one.
I may have to wait for a used Maxwell screen to turn up.

Noah A
16-Dec-2012, 15:51
You could switch to an Arca:)

Have you tried a Linhof (or 3rd party) add-on Fresnel? It kind of gives you the best of both worlds, a fresnel for bright viewing, or you can remove it for really critical focusing.

mortensen
17-Dec-2012, 13:38
... I replaced the GG's on both my TK and Tech - but I am not a fresnel guy, so I bought Steve Hopf's excellent product. He hadn't cut them too precise this time, though, so I had to manually grind them half a millimeter shorter on the 4 inch side. If you want to fine focus, his screens are really good and very reasonably priced - I use both an 8x and a 15x loupe and it does make sense to use the latter at times.

but, I have only used chamonix gg+fresnel and old linhof gg's for comparison... so this reply isn't really useful :D

Ari
17-Dec-2012, 14:17
Thanks, Mortensen; I forget sometimes to consider Steve Hopf, his GGs are very good for precision focusing.
I shoot 99% portraits, so quick framing is a bigger concern, but thanks, it's a very helpful suggestion.

Ari
17-Dec-2012, 14:18
You could switch to an Arca:)

Have you tried a Linhof (or 3rd party) add-on Fresnel? It kind of gives you the best of both worlds, a fresnel for bright viewing, or you can remove it for really critical focusing.

Noah, is the add-on fresnel removable in a pinch? As in slip-on/slip-off? If so, I've never heard of that.
Thanks

Bob Salomon
17-Dec-2012, 14:50
Ari,

All Linhof cameras made in the past 30+ years have a removable Fresnel. Recent 45 models have two chrome, rectangular clips. One each on the middle screw of the black ground glass hold down bar. They swing away for almost instant insertion and removable Fresnel placement. These come standard on all cameras in the past 15 or 20 years. No installation required.
Older cameras had a pair of lift-up clips that were an optional accessory and that mounted in the middle of the same hold down. They came with a slightly longer screw then the one that was in the middle of the hold down. These also allowed almost instant insertion and removal of the Fresnel. These clips are no longer available, although Blazes may still have them. If you have an older model that came without clips you can order the current clips from Linhof service centers.

In both cases the Fresnel lies on top of the GG screen when using the clips with the smooth side of the Fresnel facing the photographer and the grooved side facing the GG and the lens.

Ari
17-Dec-2012, 15:10
Thank you, Bob, that sounds very promising; I have some research to do, I suppose, and I will look into Blazes.

Ari
18-Dec-2012, 11:28
I found this place last night, they seem to have genuine parts, and decent prices; they also offer parts for most LF cameras.
They quoted me $90 for a Linhof GG and fresnel.
Has anybody dealt with them before?

http://globalmatter-lab.net

Thanks

rdenney
18-Dec-2012, 11:53

What you are describing sounds like the Maxwell screen, which Brian mentioned already. Bill Maxwell's Hi-Lux screen is configured as you describe.

Bob will tell you that the Linhof screen is the best, and the last one I used was 35 years ago on a Kardan Color, so I have no data to offer in rebuttal. But the Maxwell is the best screen I've used, period.

It's expensive, but perhaps not moreso than a Linhof factory screen, especially if you have the Linhof service people install it. (I don't know what they charge.)

The unnofficial website for Maxwell is here. (http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index.html) The telephone is the only official communications channel.

Rick "bring quarters" Denney

Ari
18-Dec-2012, 12:27
Rick "bring quarters" Denney

Thanks, Rick. I'll likely order the OEM screen from Global Matter, and post my findings here once it's installed; they look nice.
I already looked into Maxwell, and it's out of my budget right now.

Ari "got a cell phone with unlimited Canada/USA minutes" Tapiero

Bob Salomon
18-Dec-2012, 13:04
I found this place last night, they seem to have genuine parts, and decent prices; they also offer parts for most LF cameras.
They quoted me $90 for a Linhof GG and fresnel.
Has anybody dealt with them before?

http://globalmatter-lab.net

Thanks

Ari,

They are not selling new Linhof ground glass and Fresnel screens. They seem to be selling what we discontinued about 20 years ago, the Linhof Super Screen, which was a combination Fresnel on one side and a frosted surface on the other. Since it could warp under certain conditions it was discontinued. If someone wanted a grid with it we had a glass overlay.

In any case, what is pictured on the site you refer to is not Linhof packaging and most, if not all, of the Linhof being sold is used.

The most popular Linhof ground glass is the 021805 with grid scoring and in the USA the Suggested List Price is $87.99. Dealers, of course, usually discount from this price. The Linhof Fresnel is 002523 and has a List Price of $309.99 and is also usually discounted.

Ari
18-Dec-2012, 13:10
Bob, thanks; I haven't placed any order yet, and your post gives me (yet another) pause.
From what I understood, and was quoted, they are selling two separate pieces: a GG and a fresnel.
The gentleman who answered my email gave me slightly different dimensions for each.
I will place a call to Blazes, they did a CLA on my TK last year, and see what they have to offer.

Thanks again, Bob.