PDA

View Full Version : Graflex 2x3 Super D Camera order of operation

Takizawa
14-Dec-2012, 15:05
I received my beautiful camera in the mail. For the most part I figured things out. The camera has a roll film back and I'm not sure what order of operation is best to advance film and yet prevent unwanted light from hitting the negative.

Is there a best order for setting tension, aperture, lowering the mirror to focus, and advancing film? Second, does the dark slide have any purpose outside of using different roll film backs with different films?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks, Michael

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
14-Dec-2012, 15:24
Hi Michael. The darkslide allows you to remove the roll film back if you like, and also provides one more little piece of safety to ensure that you don't accidentally expose. Were it me, I would keep the darkslide in there until you are ready to shoot, at that point pull it make your exposure(s) and replace it when you are done. Note that with the Graflex it is possible to accidentally expose when winding the shutter back after exposure (say from B to C), so be sure to always put the mirror down first! However, the mirror isn't 100% light proof (more like 98%), so don't count on it keeping your film protected for more than a moment.

jason

Takizawa
14-Dec-2012, 15:29
Thanks Jason. That was my exact concern. And thank you for the beautiful camera. It's fantastic!

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
14-Dec-2012, 15:37
Glad you like it, just remember to always release the springs when you store it, so keep the tension on L, the shutter at the stop below "O", and the mirror up (pull the little T tab on the trigger so you can store the mirror up without that L shaped bracket sticking out).

Dan Fromm
14-Dec-2012, 16:25
Hmm. The bible, first edition, says that the Graflex is light tight with the mirror down. Per the bible, erect the focusing hood, make sure that the mirror is down, pull the dark slide, select slit width and spring tension, set the "I-T" slide to I and you're ready to focus, compose, stop down if necessary and shoot. After taking a shot, lower the mirror (no autoreturn) and you're ready to rewind the shutter (go back to the slit selected when starting out), ... I've advanced film (ISO 100) and rewound the shutter, both with the lens slide out and the mirror down, with my little 2x3 RB Ser. B with no light leaks evident on the processed film.

Takizawa
14-Dec-2012, 18:58
I was wondering how to store it without having that L shaped bracket sticking out. Glad there is a solution to that.

Takizawa
14-Dec-2012, 19:00
Dan thanks for the extra detail. Great to know that you did not suffer the dreaded light leak when you went with the practice of lowering the mirror each shot. I'll try that and post my own feedback on the forum.

Dan Fromm
14-Dec-2012, 20:43
Takizwa, when the I-T switch is set to I interlocks prevent winding and firing the shutter unless the mirror is down. The interlocks are disengaged with the I-T switch is set to T. You have been warned.