PDA

View Full Version : Acros Developer Suggestions

Jeff Moore
8-Apr-2004, 19:46
I just purchased a box of Fuji Acros quickloads. This will be my first experience with this film. I mostly shoot Delta 100 and HP5+, and the developers I typically use are (respectively) Ilford DD-X and Edwal FG-7 with a 9% sodium sulfite solution. Has anyone used either of these developers with Acros? If so, I would welcome any input as far as starting development times. Which, if either, of these two developers do you suspect would give the best results? Of course, I welcome other suggestions which you think would be better with Acros. Thanks.

Larry Gebhardt
8-Apr-2004, 19:58
I have used DD-X for Acros and gotten some nice results. My times are around 6:45 in a Jobo with DD-X 1+9 after a 2 minute prewash all at 24C. My film speed for this setup seems to be about 64 (I routinely find that I need to reduce speed by 2/3 to a full stop). This is the only developer I have tried with Acros.

Peter Galea
8-Apr-2004, 20:04
I've been shooting Acros, rating at 50-80. The only developer I use is Rodinal. 10 minutes, 1:50 @ 68 degrees F. in a Unicolor drum on a roller base. The Massive Development Chart reccomends 11 minutes, I reduce that by a minute due to constant agitation. I've been happy with the results.

darter
8-Apr-2004, 20:06
The best developer I have used with Acros (at 66) is Clayton F76+ (www.claytonchem.com). A close second is Rodinal 1:100 for 20'.

Gem Singer
8-Apr-2004, 20:27
Hi Jeff,

My preliminary tests with Fuji Acros Quickload film, using lfotec DD-X developer, were disappointing, compared to the results I have been able to get with Ilford HP-5+ 4X5 film, using that developer. The Acros Quickload film developed in DD-X was grainer than I had expected and the highlight details were blown out. It was reminicent of the results I used to get with (discontinued) 4X5 Ilford Delta 400, developed in Microphen.

I am now testing Fuji Acros Quickload film in Paterson's new ascorbate/phenidone developer FX-50. The results look very promising.

Rob Gertler
19-Apr-2004, 08:09
Fuji Acros 100 is a fantastic film and is definitely superior to T-max 100 when it comes to accutance and ease of N-2 to N+2 development. I have tested this film in three developers; D76, Rodinal,and FX-1. All worked well, but the best (judged by examination of very large enlargements from negatives developed to get approx. equal contrast) was FX-1. FX-1 is sold in kit form by Photographer's Formulary, but is very easily (and also very cheaply) made from scratch. If you are interested in FX-1, please contact me and I'll give you development times for Acros 100, both 4x5 and 120. Lots of luck, Rob Gertler robgertler@yahoo.com

Joanna Carter
3-Jun-2008, 12:44
My preliminary tests with Fuji Acros Quickload film, using lfotec DD-X developer, were disappointing, compared to the results I have been able to get with Ilford HP-5+ 4X5 film, using that developer. The Acros Quickload film developed in DD-X was grainer than I had expected and the highlight details were blown out. It was reminicent of the results I used to get with (discontinued) 4X5 Ilford Delta 400, developed in Microphen.
Well, I use DD-X for Acros with no problems at all. It all depends on what time, temperature and method you use.

I develop for 8:30 in 1+4 at 20°C, this gives a very nice standard to N+1 appearance with all highlights and shadows still intact.

Eirik Berger
3-Jun-2008, 12:55
Acros?
Microfine works very well.

Ron Marshall
3-Jun-2008, 13:16
Acros is wonderful in XTOL 1:1 or 1:3, my EI is 80.

Kirk Keyes
3-Jun-2008, 16:15
I second XTOL 1:1 at EI 80. And you can plus expand the heck out of it. N+5 easy.

I've also used PMK and Pyrocat with it with great success. But XTOL is my standard dev for it.

Jim Graves
3-Jun-2008, 16:56
Pretty much a personal choice ... I like it in Perceptol ... extraordinarily fine grain ... just depends on the "look" you're looking for.

tgtaylor
3-Jun-2008, 19:58
I've been developing Acros sheets with good results using Jobo 2509N reels (6 sheets) with Xtol 1:3 with continuous agitation for the first minute and 5 seconds each minute thereafter for a total of 14.5 minutes @ 68F.

Great film. I can't wait for Jeff at Badger to get it back in stock!

Thomas

Benno Jones
4-Jun-2008, 08:17
I shoot Acros at EI 50 and have developed in HC110 Dilution B and in Pyrocat-HD 1+1+100 with very good results. I don't have my times at hand.

gevalia
4-Jun-2008, 15:04
I'll second Jim on Perceptol. I use Perceptol 1+3 18 mins 45 seconds. Sweet, for a newbie.

Dirk Rösler
4-Jun-2008, 17:22
I'll second Jim on Perceptol. I use Perceptol 1+3 18 mins 45 seconds. Sweet, for a newbie.

I heard Perceptol's characteristics are close to Fuji's recommended Microfine for Acros, so results should be good with those.

My personal choice is Rodinal @80 1+50 8:30 in a Jobo drum.

For those that use Xtol 1:3 and 1:1, what are your times please (rotation or tray)? I think I used 10min and 6:30 res. before (drum).

David Schaller
5-Jun-2008, 06:24
I use either D76 1:3, or Pyrocat HD 1:1:100, and I get an EI of 80 with both.
Dave