PDA

View Full Version : If you close your eyes in the darkroom...

Dan Henderson
13-Dec-2012, 09:42
This morning I was developing a sheet of film. As I waited in the darkness between agitation cycles, I noticed that I often close my eyes, and, with all that time and nothing else to do, began wondering.

Why do I close my eyes in the dark? Does my brain think that since my eyes can't see anything that they must be closed, and so they are?

Am I subconsciously denying the existence of those tiny infiltrations of light that always seem to subvert my continual quest for absolute darkness?

Am I the only person who closes his/her eyes in the darkroom?

While loading film holders later in the morning, I noticed that I did not close my eyes. Since I need my eyes to do many other things, does my brain think that being busy with something mean that my eyes must be open, even if can see nothing?

"Enlighten" me with your perspectives.

BrianShaw
13-Dec-2012, 09:53
I believe that you are quite normal. Don't worry.

Richard Wasserman
13-Dec-2012, 10:11
I always close my eyes in the dark—I can see better that way.

Bruce Schultz
13-Dec-2012, 10:13
I've done it too, when I worked with film.

bobwysiwyg
13-Dec-2012, 10:21

At least as well. :)

WayneStevenson
13-Dec-2012, 10:33
When I close my eyes, I stop trying to see.

ROL
13-Dec-2012, 10:42
When I close my eyes, I stop trying to see.

As good a reason as any, I believe.

I have forced myself to close my eyes, but more specifically to protect them against errant pyro splashes, etc. It is for this same reason that I wear eyeglasses in the dark.

Mark Stahlke
13-Dec-2012, 10:42
I close my eyes when I'm using a film changing bag. I always thought that would help focus my attention on my sense of touch.

Winger
13-Dec-2012, 10:55
I've discovered that I close my eyes more if I'm working with 120 or 35mm, but not as often with 4x5. Is that even more weird? And I seriously can't load 35mm on a reel with my eyes open.

vinny
13-Dec-2012, 11:10
interesting observation, Dan. I never close mine in the dark.

Heroique
13-Dec-2012, 11:23
When I was learning to load holders, I’d practice in the light w/ my eyes closed.

Took a while before I got it down, never opening my eyes.

Now, I can’t shake the habit. Eyes are always closed. It was part of the learning process. Little did I know that I was permanently conditioning myself. If only I had practiced in the dark, this never would have happened. At least no one notices. ;^)

C. D. Keth
13-Dec-2012, 12:16
I do it with eyes open. According to my wife, I get a glazed over blank look in my eyes when my arms go in the changing tent.

papac
13-Dec-2012, 12:16
I was thinking it was only me, thanks, I feel much better all ready:)

Sat the other day with closed eyes loading film in the changing bag and got the thought that it could be a day when I close my eyes and forget to put the light out.

gliderbee
13-Dec-2012, 12:35
I was thinking it was only me, thanks, I feel much better all ready:)

Sat the other day with closed eyes loading film in the changing bag and got the thought that it could be a day when I close my eyes and forget to put the light out.

Why would you put the light out when using a changing bag?

Stefan

Ari
13-Dec-2012, 12:36

Stefan

Now we're getting somewhere...

papac
13-Dec-2012, 12:43

Stefan

I close my eyes even in the darkroom but when I got the thought I was sitting with my changing bag. I was a bit unclear when I did the post;)

Jerry Bodine
13-Dec-2012, 12:45
I have to keep my eyes open when tray developing film so I can see the digital timer (dim red display) counting UP for agitation intervals, with occasional "long blinks" to rest the eyes. When loading film holders I keep eyes open so I can see the dim dots of luminous tape, strategically placed so I can find things quickly in the dark (eg, light pull cords, corners of cabinets, etc.); they help me to stay oriented to the loading area if I move around. Using a tent outdoors is just a slower process.

papac
13-Dec-2012, 12:46
Now we're getting somewhere...
There could be a diagnose for me there, haha.

papac
13-Dec-2012, 12:52
When I think of it, I often close my eyes when I cant see what my hands are doing. When working with the car and only get my hand and tool in place. Maybe I sense better and play the scene i my mind.

Jody_S
13-Dec-2012, 13:22
Strange. I never close my eyes. But then I have exceptionally good night vision, I can usually make out most features in a blacked-out room when I'm developing film. I have rarely been in a room or place where I couldn't see anything at all.

Vaughn
13-Dec-2012, 14:17
It is much safer to close one's eyes. It is a well know fact that if you can't see the darkroom monsters, they can't see you.

Ari
13-Dec-2012, 14:50
It is much safer to close one's eyes. It is a well know fact that if you can't see the darkroom monsters, they can't see you.

Oh, they can see you, which is why you should always use tank development.

Kirk Gittings
13-Dec-2012, 14:56
Here's one for you. I used to do all my b&w printing in the dark-no safelight at all. It was much more relaxing.

cyrus
13-Dec-2012, 15:10
We discussed this before and I still can't figure it out :confused:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?83762-Close-your-eyes-in-the-darkroom
LOL it is quite a funny reaction

SpeedGraphicMan
13-Dec-2012, 15:49

Beaten!

Anyway, I also close my eyes in the darkroom, done so for years never have known why!

Maybe it is a involuntary instinct done by the body with the intent to protect our eyeball from injury?

It is probably a good idea anyway just in in case you get an unseen chemical splash!

I also agree about the darkroom monsters... They can still see you... I guess it is like hiding under one's covers... As if a sheet will protect us from snaggle toothed monsters!

ROL
13-Dec-2012, 16:03
Here's one for you. I used to do all my b&w printing in the dark-no safelight at all. It was much more relaxing.

About the only thing I "miss" from no longer wet printing color.

John Jarosz
13-Dec-2012, 17:54
I close my eyes because if I don't I start to think I can see the familiar components of the darkroom. If my eyes are closed I don't hallucinate.

Hey Kirk: Why did you stop printing in the dark?

John

manet
14-Dec-2012, 10:39
Yes, I close my eyes in the darkroom. I think I do it because I visualize better (by imagination) the environnement in the dark.

JP

Terry Christian
14-Dec-2012, 11:48
I keep my eyes open when I'm loading film in a changing bag, and when I'm in the darkroom, but for the life of me I can't function in a completely dark room (I develop my 4x5 by taco method). When in complete darkness, I get disoriented easily.

Martin Aislabie
14-Dec-2012, 13:54
I close my eyes both when I am in the Darkroom developing film and when using a Changing bag to load Darkslides.

It helps me to "see" in the dark.

A Darkroom Supervisor of a commercial Lab said most of her assistants closed their eyes too in the film handling unit

Martin

mike rosenlof
14-Dec-2012, 14:23
I keep my eyes open. I have glow in the drak bits all over the place.

Sort or reminds me of puting my son to bed years ago.

Me: OK, close your eyes and go to sleep.

Son: But if I close my eyes, I con't see anything.