PDA

View Full Version : first film and tests

LFPete
13-Dec-2012, 07:42
Hi All,

I have an 8x10 Deardorff and some used film backs. They are in pretty good shape as far as I can tell. The bellows also looks to be in decent shape. I sent my lens to get serviced and timed and I think it's now time to put some film in and try it.

Where do film backs typically leak light? Can you tell from visual inspection, or is the real test just putting some film in and shooting? Any advice? Should I just get some cheap film and go for it?

Recommendations on some cheap film to get started with and test everything?

Thanks,

Peter

ScottPhotoCo
13-Dec-2012, 09:14
"Cheap" is relative. But I've enjoyed playing with X-ray film and direct positive paper in mine. :)

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Kevin Crisp
13-Dec-2012, 09:28
Generally they are referred to as film holders. They don't typically leak. Take the camera in the dark, let your eyes adjust, put a bright flashlight in it with the film holders installed and a lens board blocking light out the other end. Spin it around in the dark and look for bellows leaks or leaks around the film holders. Good luck, things are probably fine.

LFPete
14-Dec-2012, 11:45
Thanks! I no longer have a darkroom, I should see if our local shop (Dodge Chrome, Wash DC) can develop X-ray film.

Ok, I can do that light test with the bellows too.

Peter