PDA

View Full Version : Flying with sheet film

Robert Langham
12-Dec-2012, 19:18
Anyone got good information on getting sheet film through security and airport X-rays these days? How about to France and back?

Thanks.

jp
12-Dec-2012, 19:33
There's some threads on it perhaps search for flying.

Haven't flow overseas with it.

Last trip, I shipped it ahead. It's technically safe in carry-on, but there's a risk they may want to open the box. Kodak's 3-piece box gives some safety margin in this risk.

vinny
12-Dec-2012, 19:35
yes
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?89761-Flying-with-film-update&highlight=airport+security
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?70606-Airports-and-4x5-film&highlight=airport+security
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?84572-Flying-with-8x10-film&highlight=airport+security
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?89820-Air-travel-with-8x10-sheet-film-as-carry-on-Request-for-tips!&highlight=airport+security

Ari
12-Dec-2012, 19:47
Very safe, just don't put your film in checked baggage.
And what Vinny said.

munz6869
12-Dec-2012, 20:01
I wouldn't worry about it at all - Flying from Melbourne to Reykjavik and back last year - I must have gone through security control about 10 times - didn't notice any fogging on my TXP320. As long as it's carried on, not checked in.

Marc!

Robert Langham
12-Dec-2012, 20:26
Specifically concerned with SHEET film. They seem to generally still recognize roll film, and I can always tape a big "ISO 800" label on it. Just had a security person try to open a 50 sheet box of TRI-X sheet film before 911. Haven't flown with sheet film since I don't think. Usually ship it ahead. Never tried going to France with it.

Should have had the good sense to do a search before asking question. Got it covered in other threads! Thanks for your good works, folks!

Michael Kadillak
16-Dec-2012, 12:25
Technological advances to lower the effective radiation level in screening devices is a positive thing toward carrying on but it is a variable we have absolutely no control over. There are literally hundreds of thousands of X-ray screening devices all over the world so the assumption of carry on having no effect on sheet film is a wild assumption. I have been told that there are many older machines still being utilized because of budgetary considerations from a friend in he business. I have had film fried to a crisp in the screening process and will never go down that road if I can ship it.

Leszek Vogt
16-Dec-2012, 14:22
If you can, try going to the airport a day or two prior your flight and check in regard to procedure. TSA folk is not all that knowledgeable about sheet film. I'd take an exposed sheet (if you have any handy) and show them what they look like...and perhaps you can talk with the supervision
as to how this should/could be handled appropriately. You don't want any rude surprises during your security screening. Slapping "do not open in daylight" may just have the opposite response from these people. I often wonder how much training (if any) these people receive. I do recall (in the last year) how air-rocket looked too suspicious and was detained in Newark....and no one thought of putting it through an X-ray.
Good luck.

Les

BradS
16-Dec-2012, 16:03
Just put it in your carry on bag and let it go through the machine. This is safe and still the best course of action...especially, in Europe.

Arne Croell
17-Dec-2012, 00:15
I am flying regularly between Europe and the US, often with sheet film (usually Kodak TMX) and just send it through the X-ray in the carry on luggage. No problems so far. As mentioned before, do not put in checked baggage, the scanner is much stronger ! If you are flying within Europe, a possible related problem can be the much lower weight allowance for carry-on, it depends on the airline and can be as low as 13lbs, and they do often weigh it at check-in. Although I do not use one otherwise, I have used a photographers vest filled to the brim with equipment to temporarily reduce that weight.

Tim Meisburger
17-Dec-2012, 00:33
I forgot and put some exposed film in my checked bags once and it was ruined, so do not put your film in a checked bag. Since then I am paranoid and usually carry my film in carry on in an old lead bag. But I have put film through probably 100 scanners in Asia and Europe and never had a problem (including in Paris), so no worries mate...

mathieu Bauwens
17-Dec-2012, 03:01
I just come back from a 3 weeks trip in Laos, my Txp 320 were scanned 4 times (Brussels - Abu Dhabi and Bangkok - Abu Dhabi); no problems.

IanG
17-Dec-2012, 06:09
This question gets rather repetive and should be made sticky. My sheet & 120 films get scanned many times sometimes over 30 with no issues as long as they are in my hand luggage.

Ian.

ignatiusjk
18-Dec-2012, 12:04
I've flown in the States with sheet film but not Internationally.My advice is to keep a demo holder so you can show any security personnel what the holder is for.

andrew gardiner
21-Dec-2012, 14:07
The question of carrying sheet film through airports is particularly vexing me also at the moment. In a couple of months I am flying to South America to continue on a project that I have been working on for several years now. The facilities in the particular country I visit can be very basic and its airports scanners are likewise. I have travelled through before many times with 120 and always manage to avoid the machine with just a hand check. The staff at the airport can be fairly intimidating (especially when leaving), but so far just look suspiciously at the film and after a discussion let it through.
However this will be the first time I will be taking sheet film through and I'm worrying about it ( mostly the scenario of the box being opened). Obviously the trip that most concerns me is on the way back once my exposures have been made. To the point where I am thinking about trying to get chemistry sent out there in advance and develop the film myself before I bring it back ( I have little experience of this but will have to learn, I am shooting b&w).
This might sound fairly paranoid but the logistics of the work I'm trying to make have been arduous and screwing up will be a big deal. Does anyone else have experience of doing this? I was thinking of starting a new thread including developing in situ but hope its appropriate to add to this one.

Andrew

Daniel Stone
21-Dec-2012, 14:13
I remember reading something about getting special 'carnet cards' for when you go through customs and the like.

Might be something to look into, maybe talk with the British(I'm assuming your stated location is the UK London) embassy in the country you'll be traveling to, see if they can offer some sort of 'diplomatic pouch' service, so the film is sent via gov't planes vs you traveling with it.

Since you said you're continuing an already in-progress project, you might want to show the ruling powers that be what you've done thus far, that might help sway things a bit.

Just some ideas.

-Dan

Preston
21-Dec-2012, 17:10
The first time I flew with sheet film I found the conversation went from negative to positive.

I tried flying with sheet film a second time: I crashed and burned. It wasn't pretty.

Sorry, I'm in a rather wierd mood today. :-)

Now, back to the discussion...

--P

anglophone1
21-Dec-2012, 19:42
I fly into France at least once a month, often carrying film 35, 120 and 5x4, always in hand luggage no problem.
It will only get screened where you board and maybe if you change somewhere.
At worst they'll "wand"the box but they won't open it.
C

Tim Meisburger
21-Dec-2012, 20:05
Andrew, I just arrived in the US with a load of film, and will take more back with me when I return, but understand your paranoia. After losing a months worth of shots from Indonesia when I accidentally left my film in checked bags I started carrying developer with me. Initially some rodinal and liquid fixer, and later chemicals for D23 and hypo. I would mix up the chemicals when I arrived and take a changing bag to easily load a Patterson Orbital, and develop as the trip went on. That ensured my negs would not get toasted, and also allowed a check to ensure I was getting what I wanted. I even did contacts in a closet using the rodinal.

andrew gardiner
22-Dec-2012, 09:01
Dan-
Thanks for those ideas, I don't think the diplomatic pouch is a possibility; British embassies abroad are well known to be thoroughly unhelpful to their citizens ( love the idea of 'carnet cards' though).
There's a slim chance that contacting the 'ruling powers that be' might offer something, they do know about me already so I'll look into it - thanks.

Tim- Good to know someone else has gone down that path, was it difficult? Do you have to take into account high temperatures and humidity? Was there an issue taking chemistry out? I just assumed that would break flying regulations etc (do you not have to declare chemicals when you check luggage in?). I was looking into sending them out beforehand.

BradS
22-Dec-2012, 12:17
The question of carrying sheet film through airports is particularly vexing me also at the moment. In a couple of months I am flying to South America ....
Andrew

Andrew,

To which country are you travelling? I've flown several times to ecuador and peru and have always just let the film go through the xray machine in my carry on bag. Even in the smaller regional airports, there has never been an issue. I did get in big trouble once for leaving about six pounds of fresh roasted coffee beans in my backpack for two weeks before trying to carry it out of country...just coffee beans mind! But back to film...the machines in the airports in ecuador and peru - at least the ones I've encountered are all quite modern and film safe.

EDIT: I've not tried it but, I would be very careful about flying raw chemicals out of ecuador or peru...commercial products still in un-opened packages might be ok but, raw metol, sodium sulfite and hydroquinone...I'd not try to fly it out.

Gary Tarbert
23-Dec-2012, 07:02
This thread has got me thinking about a very different scenerio ,In Australia you cannot buy 5x4 sheet film anywhere unless you are a millionare , So i Buy from Badgers etc , So what strength do customs use on freight , BTW i have not had a problem , Except for one box which had a small bright spot in the same spot twenty times. Quite small and because i scan and digital proccess was not the end of the world . Cheers Gary

Tim Meisburger
23-Dec-2012, 09:08
Temperature: Yes, but just use the Ilford conversion chart and go with the ambient temperature for development. I live in hot places and went through this four years ago. Eventually I learned that modern films have a more stable emulsion, so there is no need to chill developer. Hotter climes merely yield shorter development times, a plus in my book.

Chemistry: I've never seen anything suggesting you cannot fly with photo chemicals. Rodinal is so concentrated you need very little for a month long trip, but I carried two whole bottles back from the states in checked baggage one time with no problem. Dry chemicals might be mistaken for drugs, I guess, but I have never had a problem. They almost always search my bags, as they are full of cannon-like lenses and pistol-grip spotmeters....

Cheers, Tim

Daniel Stone
23-Dec-2012, 23:35
How do those who shoot Xray film do it?

Most X-ray film in general radiography is exposed by the light emitted by the sensitized plate in the book-form film holder.
(x-rays cause the screen to glow, the body/part,etc is like making a "photogram", just with body parts)

-Dan

SergeiR
25-Dec-2012, 09:05
This thread has got me thinking about a very different scenerio ,In Australia you cannot buy 5x4 sheet film anywhere unless you are a millionare , So i Buy from Badgers etc , So what strength do customs use on freight , BTW i have not had a problem , Except for one box which had a small bright spot in the same spot twenty times. Quite small and because i scan and digital proccess was not the end of the world . Cheers Gary

depends on country to country and sometime even airport to airport. Old equipment is a bit more dangerous to film. But according to signs in most airports i have travelled through - up until you get to iso800/1600 - you are ok. I had iso400 Kodak and Fomapan traveling with me around the world and being exposed in numerous airports on same trip ( i literally had holder with loaded 400 foma 4x5 that went from states and then around russia and back - somehow it was always avoided to be shot) and that was finally shot few months later - no issues at all :)). Some of film was traveling in luggage. Emergency set was traveling in cabin with me :)

tenderobject
16-Jan-2013, 15:25
UP! Anyone had used film safe / xray shield for their films when travelling without any problem? For 4x5 to smaller format. is it safe to use? I read on some fora that using it would might cause more problem. I'm not sure about this rumour though. I plan on getting a few soon before i visit manila. So, i could use it for a new batch of films for my stock that i will carry when i return to iran.

Last time, I decided to put my films in my checked luggage because my carry on was like 15kg of photographic equipments. :) Emirates was quite generous about photographic equipments so i had no problem. I just don't had any idea that xrays on checked in luggage are more powerful than those scanners in the airport. Now, I want to make sure about this because i had almost 200 4x5 sheets that might be all ruined by xrays. I've tested some of the film i had and it shows almost the same streaking for all the images i made and i've seen this problem with my 120 films that was scanned a lot of times in the airports. (Manila-Dubai-Tehran-Ilam). I had to pass 4 airports to get home so i really want to make sure. I don't think i could source out any sheet films in iran so i need to stock up and make sure of it. All of my films are bought online in the US, shipped to my address in manila. A bit pita but it's the least option i have. It's better on the safe side than getting my film toasted. :D

I'm thinking of another option. Is it much safer if i have all my films shipped from manila to iran or from a seller directly to iran using a courier like DHL? anyone tried this? It is a bit expensive but i think that is the safest route. Maybe i should get film/papers from europe and have it send directly here. Any site in europe who can send stuff in iran you can recommend? I just tried ordering chems in moersch germany let see if this works out. I had asked about film/papers too with DHL representative and they say it's safe to ship here. Although getting stuff in europe is not economical for me i'll try to take some risk in my pocket. ouch!

Tim Meisburger
16-Jan-2013, 16:15
The reason your film is ruined is because you put it in checked luggage. You MUST carry-on film, exposed or unexposed.

Regarding the lead bags, I use them all the time and have never had a problem till a week or so ago when I went through japan and they made me take my film out and run it through the scanner. I use the bags just in case, but have never had a problem with the carry-on scanner.

I have film shipped from China and have never had a problem.

Best, Tim

tenderobject
16-Jan-2013, 16:54
Thank you Tim. Scanners here in Iran are a bit oldskul haha. We usually visit tehran every few months so i think i need the lead bags as well.
Next time i'll just put all my films in my carry on luggage. How about papers? is it safe to put in check in luggage? heh I know it's not likely to get toast with xrays i'm just anxious. :)

Thanks again!

The reason your film is ruined is because you put it in checked luggage. You MUST carry-on film, exposed or unexposed.

Regarding the lead bags, I use them all the time and have never had a problem till a week or so ago when I went through japan and they made me take my film out and run it through the scanner. I use the bags just in case, but have never had a problem with the carry-on scanner.

I have film shipped from China and have never had a problem.

Best, Tim

Tim Meisburger
16-Jan-2013, 18:52
I would not put paper in checked bags either. I would (and do) carry it on. I lost a months worth of undeveloped negatives one time coming from Indonesia (the same scan lines you are seeing), some of them irreplaceable, and will never trust any photo-sensitive material to luggage scanners again.

tenderobject
16-Jan-2013, 19:33
Thanks Tim.. I will keep this in mind. I won't risk my films/papers next time..

I would not put paper in checked bags either. I would (and do) carry it on. I lost a months worth of undeveloped negatives one time coming from Indonesia (the same scan lines you are seeing), some of them irreplaceable, and will never trust any photo-sensitive material to luggage scanners again.

Hollis
1-Feb-2013, 09:47
I have been shooting on assignment here in Morocco for the last 8 days and had to drag 350 sheets of Ektar 100 through security. I ended up putting it through the machines but one tip I will give is to put it on the belt well after your camera case since they always end up scanning my cameras multiple times as all the lenses and metal and weird shapes get their attention. That way, the film isn't being zapped repeatedly and instead just once. Also, I always print out and laminate a small page that says something to the extent of 'I am a professional photographer and this film is part of my job. Please, do not open as it will ruin them' and have it in every language I will come across for the trip I'm on (English, French and Arabic this time). You can also print the page from the TSA's website that states you are allowed a hand inspection of film of any speed if you like. That has saved me more than a few times as the TSA screeners usually don't know the rules it seems like.

DennisD
1-Feb-2013, 22:55
You can have film hand inspected instead of scanned, especially when flying domestically. In the post above, Hollis refers to the TSA website page regarding hand inspection of film. That page seems to have disappeared recently.

While most TSA supervisors know the procedure, many TSA agents are not familiar and deny inspection or make things difficult. I always travel with a copy of the TSA web site information post entitled: "Traveling with Film". I've found find that the level of co-operation from TSA agents elevates magically when the agent reads this document.

I am attaching below an image file copy of my printout of the original "Traveling with Film" page previously found on the TSA website. (The url address of this page, shown at the top of the printout, now produces a "page not found error".) Regardless, this is the original TSA published info.

The image below (jpeg file format) can be saved (right click, save image) to your computer and printed out on 8.5" x 11" paper. Carry it with your film and ask for hand inspection. If the TSA agent refuses, show the "Traveling with Film" document and, if necessary, ask for a supervisor to review it.

Typically a hand inspection amounts to a simple inspection of your film holders or boxes (without opening) and often a swabbing to detect explosives. It helps a great deal if your film boxes are factory sealed. Nevertheless, I've always succeeded having them hand inspect - just be sure to allow time before your flight in case the going is slow !

Showing this printed TSA information has helped me numerous times when requesting inspection. I hope this will be helpful to others.

As to foreign travel, that's another story, but often, a supervisor will listen to reason. Under no circumstances should you allow film to be packed in checked luggage. It will almost certainly be x-rayed.

http://www.jackandbeans.com/pbd/tsa_film-inspect.jpg

SpeedGraphicMan
2-Feb-2013, 12:19
Hmm... Flying with Sheet Film...

Might work if you hold a sheet in each hand and flap really fast?

Hollis
2-Feb-2013, 12:43
This doc is what I have as well and it has worked for me time and time again. I even went to the trouble of 'highlighting' the important parts in photoshop to make sure nothing was misunderstood.

andrew gardiner
3-Mar-2013, 02:28
I've just arrived back from my trip to South America via The West Indies. I can categorically say that at all the borders I crossed (including my own in the UK) you don't have a snowflakes chance in hell of having sheet film just hand checked. Picture the scenario 'could you please hand check my film boxes, oh and by the way you're not allowed to open them either!'.
Even the laziest security officer in the most lax of countries isn't going to put up with that. I don't know whether the TSA leaflet works in the US,but outside of the States no one has ever heard of the TSA anyway and to be honest I can't really believe it works there either for sheet film.
Anyway I quit worrying about it all fairly quickly, there being nothing I could do about it and am off to have my film developed this week.

Robert Langham
4-Mar-2013, 02:39
Going to Normandy on Thursday. We'll see. Got the page copied and the business card for my US Senator stapled to the top corner. Thanks to everyone for their help and input.

Drew Wiley
4-Mar-2013, 09:44
I upped the ante a bit and just traveled with TMY (asa 400), both in sheets and 35mm. Got TSA X-rayed three times (domestic), right in my carry-on, and after dev, absolutetly no indication of elevated fog compared to ordinary circumstances.
I don't know if a senator's card is going to help. A particularly noxious senator recently got thrown off a flight due to hassling
a TSA agent!

Noah A
4-Mar-2013, 14:37
There's a lot of good advice here. Mostly I label the film, never put it in checked baggage obviously, and I put it in a tray separate from my cameras and lenses since as others have mentioned, these items may receive more attention and more scans.

I've never had a problem sending Portra 160 through multiple carryon screenings, though I'm knocking on wood when I say that since I'm looking at 300 sheets that just came back from Bangladesh (through Istanbul, Frankfurt and Newark).

Robert Langham
22-Mar-2013, 01:26
No real problems. Carried 5X7 and lenses in an old Zone VI bag. Film got scanned twice times coming back by the French. The TSA always was willing to hand-check, at least at Tyler and Houston. My Tarzan-level French wasn't good enough at CDG Airport. Will start to see film in a couple of days.

I took my F64 pack and never loaded it up. Just used the little Zone VI bag. Very glad I put my old rubber boots in. They worked in the snow and on the beach around the island. Construction scaffolding everywhere but I just shot other places or climbed up and used it. Tourist pack was pretty low, mostly asians. I gave away a lot of Texas Quarters to kids.

When I was in grade school I wrote an essay and did some research for a paper on Mont St Michele. Was always fascinated and very glad to finally visit.

91772 91773 91774

Robert Langham
22-Mar-2013, 01:30
Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread! You were all very helpful.

91775 91776

tgtaylor
16-Apr-2013, 07:19
I just flew from San Fran to Toronto with 35mm B&W and 4x5 sheet film both in an unopened factory packaging and loaded into 12 film holders. SF TSA hand-checked the film without scanning and as I never left the secured area in Chicago, there was no opportunity again for it to go through a security checkpoint again.

The SF TSA found my camera and film highly interesting and wanted to know about movements and the technical why and wherefores behind it all. So I explained to them how the camera is able to keep the film plane perpendicular to a large building and why a level cone of light sticking the film plane corrects distortion. They found that very interesting and said they don't see cameras like that coming through.

Thomas

Drew Wiley
16-Apr-2013, 10:20
Hmmm ... I generally fly out of Oakland and so far they seem a lot more comfortable with my LF gear than the more techie
looking MF equip. Last time they didn't inspect any of it. I positively hate flying out of SFO.

Richard Wasserman
16-Apr-2013, 12:52
I recently flew from Chicago to Los Angeles, LA to Portland, Oregon, and then back home to Chicago. At LAX the TSA decided to take a close look at my backpack with LF gear in it (this rarely happens to me, maybe 1 out of 10 or so flights). As the friendly TSA agent was chatting with my wife and me and swabbing everything to make sure it wasn't explosive, one of her associates walked by, glanced at my Wista SP and asked if it was a Linhof. Turned out that he had been a portrait photographer for 29 years. Now he's a TSA agent—says a lot about the state of professional photography today...